Archived Topic

Forde-Yard Dash

by MesaCougFan · 8/26/2014

Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
I found this little tid-bit on Pat Forde's Forde-Yard Dash



"THE LATEST ENDANGERED RIVALRY



The Holy War (37), as BYU vs. Utah is known, will not be played this year or next year. It is scheduled to resume in 2016, but cessation of the series is not good for football in the state and sets an ominous precedent. Since 1922, the only other event that has stopped the Cougars and Utes from playing was World War II, when BYU didn’t field a team from 1943-45. This time around, Utah opted for a two-year series with Michigan – which is nice and all, but shouldn’t come at the expense of the school’s biggest rivalry. And if it can be put on hold once, it can be put on hold more easily (or more permanently) the next time. Don’t let this join Texas-Texas A&M, Kansas-Missouri, Pittsburgh-West Virginia on the realignment-driven rivalry discard pile."



I'm surprised that the National Bobble-Heads pay that much attention to even care.



You would think the U would care more.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Doesn't hurt that Forde is LDS...he's pretty familiar with the rivalry.
R
runbyu1
I know Chad Ford at ESPN is LDS and taught at BYU-H while I was there. Are you sure Pat Forde is also?
S
stuckinbig10country
Mea culpa. That's who I was thinking of. And when I googled Pat Forde, I noticed he wrote a book on Jimmer, so that confused me even more.
R
runbyu1
Yeah that is confusing. I forgot Forde wrote the Jimmer book.



Well, since he isn't, it's even more impressive that he cared enough to write about the rivalry.
Advertisement
B
Ball4
IF...and a BIG IF...Utah makes it to a bowl game, I feel ESPN would probably match us up with them. I don't think there will be a lapse of the rivalry at all.
R
runbyu1
How awesome would that be...
S
stuckinbig10country
BYU vs Utah in Miami?????



Sorry, won't happen. ESPN wants us in that bowl. Pac 12 has a ton of bowl tie ins.



It could happen next year, but not this.
Y
YNot
Depends on where we're ranked, where the AAC opponent is ranked, where the Ewetes are ranked, and whether the MWC or AAC get the NY6 Access Bowl bid. But, I could see the following scenarios where ESPN negotiates to move teams around (in order of likelihood):



1) MWC to the Miami Beach Bowl and Las Vegas Bowl = BYU v. Utah;

2) ACC to Miami Beach Bowl and Sun Bowl = BYU v. Utah;

3) Big Ten to Miami Beach Bowl (if AAC opponent is ranked) and BYU v. Utah in Holiday Bowl or San Francisco Bowl.

....

529,583) BYU v. Utah in NY6 Fiesta Bowl

....

3,973,257) BYU v. Utah in the CFP Rose Bowl
S
stuckinbig10country
Your 529,583rd and 3,973,257th options are much more likely than your 1,2 or 3.



Unless BYU is in an NY6 bowl, they will be in Miami. Utah will not end up in Miami for any reason.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.