Archived Topic

OL Changes

by mizzoucoug · 8/20/2014

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
According to Wrubell...



http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=31207468&nid=498&title=camp-cougar-day-16



Lapuaho and Wesley are the tackles--which is awesome. I've been secretly hoping all pre-season that Ului would be as good as advertised.



Then there's Mr. Pancake, Koroma who is listed as the starting center. Another wow. I love the changes and seriously hope this works. That's 2 freshman and possibly another one (Kanuch) who gets the starting nod. Crazy but awesome.



Wrubell's top OL list:



Ului Lapuaho



Kyle Johnson



Tejan Koroma



Brayden Kearsley



DeOndre Wesley



Terrance Alletto



Brock Stringham



Tuni Kanuch



Brad Wilcox



Edward Fusi
B
Brayden Green
Wesley wasn't awesome at the tackle last year, hopefully he learned how to move his feet and put his arms out to at least make the guy in front of him go around him.



I hope it works out, but the fact that you don't have a starting lineup playing consistently together a week and a half before your opening game worries me. The upside is that the line can't get much worse than it has been the last 3 seasons.
C
Cougs_Rule
I am trying to remain objective and patient with the Oline. And I really haven't bought the pundits take on top Oline. But I am telling you, I am loving what looks like might be developing as a lot of Kick butt attitude and strength. I love watching Ului. When is the last time we had an Olineman that looked like one and acted like one--besides one big block by Matt R without his helmet. And Koroma?? That dude is a man-child beast! He has some guns and some serious kick butt attitude. I really like Koroma, Ului and Wesley. I'm sure Johnson is very solid and hopefully Tuni ivied up to hype. I this Oline lives up to even they limited hype and if THill can be 60+%, with his running; and if our receivers can truly stretch, speed and YAC, along with JW, this season could be special. I know the scrimmage looked almost sketchy on O, but could shape up very nicely.
G
Gunk
I think the OL will be an upgrade over last year, but they are still a work in progress. I give them another year before we see them performing at levels of past dominant OLs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Yeah it's exciting for the future, but we all want to win now while we have a player like Taysom. Hopefully the line is ready.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Missing Ryker Matthews, Michael Yeck, and Jordan Black.... all were big gets and all had solid potential... wonder where they are in the long term
N
nuk13
I don't usually predict but I have a feeling this line will be a top 20 line.
C
Cougs_Rule
craigoscarson wrote:
Missing Ryker Matthews, Michael Yeck, and Jordan Black.... all were big gets and all had solid potential... wonder where they are in the long term


Ryker is a tough one, because of his hip injuries. He does not have a bright future. He has amazing attitude and what was a great body. I don't know about the other two, but they seemed like they are washed up, remnants of the past soft and undisciplined Oline coach.

Some pundits predicted a top 20 line, and they may actually turned out to be right. Even if they're guess was based on number of games played by the entire squad, as a predictor of success. I love the prospects of this years line. Once they start playing together and getting team chemistry, I think we are going to see big things.
S
SpiffCoug
Once again, Bronco shows that he has no problem playing young players - as long as they can show they are assignment sound.
B
BoiseBYU
craigoscarson wrote:
Missing Ryker Matthews, Michael Yeck, and Jordan Black.... all were big gets and all had solid potential... wonder where they are in the long term


Yeck has a broken toe I heard and that has held him back. I think he can really help the team when he heals.
Advertisement
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
Once again, Bronco shows that he has no problem playing young players - as long as they can show they are assignment sound.

Eh. I still think that Kyle VanNoy and Ziggy Ansah, as two easy examples, were starter material long before they were starters.



But I thought the same thing about Jimmer as a freshman under Coach Rose, so it's not like Bronco would be alone with trusting more experienced players.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
Once again, Bronco shows that he has no problem playing young players - as long as they can show they are assignment sound.

Eh. I still think that Kyle VanNoy and Ziggy Ansah, as two easy examples, were starter material long before they were starters.



But I thought the same thing about Jimmer as a freshman under Coach Rose, so it's not like Bronco would be alone with trusting more experienced players.

I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter."



I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman.



So I still win.
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)

Poly-pipeline. Gotta take one for the team in the hopes of getting better in the future!
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)

I got nothing.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)

I got nothing.


Ahhhh, he was awful. Uale, in my mind, equals Halford last year for the hoops team.
S
stuckinbig10country
I don't blame Ryker Matthews for this, as he was a huge target for the team at the time, but Weber wasn't fired because Ryker really liked him.



Ryker isn't even in the two deep anymore...and we had 2 more years of Weber as the OL coach, which killed us.
B
Brayden Green
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Mars wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)

I got nothing.


Ahhhh, he was awful. Uale, in my mind, equals Halford last year for the hoops team.


Who was worse in close games, Uale for the defense, or RNelson for the offense?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)

I got nothing.


Ahhhh, he was awful. Uale, in my mind, equals Halford last year for the hoops team.


Who was worse in close games, Uale for the defense, or RNelson for the offense?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well, I'd give Riley an edge as he did complete late comebacks against both USU and Tulsa his junior year.
A
ABYUFAN
stuckinbig10country wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Mars wrote:
I'm talking about playing. KVN played plenty before he was the "starter." I'll grant you Ziggy to a degree. Of course, Ziggy was a SR, not really a young player. And he did struggle early in his career before he had proven to be trustworthy in his assignments - and he was playing behind a very senior player (Manumaleuna) who had also seen extensive playing time as a freshman. So I still win.

I demand that you explain Travis Uale!

;)

I got nothing.


Ahhhh, he was awful. Uale, in my mind, equals Halford last year for the hoops team.


Who was worse in close games, Uale for the defense, or RNelson for the offense?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well, I'd give Riley an edge as he did complete late comebacks against both USU and Tulsa his junior year.

So Riley Nelson gave us USU and Tulsa, and cost us Utah, BSU and SJ State. Not a very good trade off is it?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.