G
GuestJohnny Harline will be writing for Deep Shades of Blue this year. This is his first post:
http://deepshadesofblue.com/jonny-harline-execution-trumps-desire/ " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a short quote:
This is a short quote:
Youâre pulling your hair out in frustration. Why arenât they playing better? Theyâre so close! Why donât they try harder? Why donât they quit making these petty mistakes? Why?!? You yell, to no one in particular. Or maybe to heaven, actually. It IS the Lordâs school after all, isnât it? You want to know what the âsomethingâ is, holding them back, and how to fix it.
Most people eventually conclude at some level that the âsomethingâ is desire. Youâre watching and thinking to yourself, they just donât âwant itâ enough, if only they âwanted itâ more, all these little somethings would stop happening to hold them back. Why donât they âwant itâ as much as ME?! If they felt as strongly as I do about this, theyâd play better! If I could just transfer how I feel to them, they would surely win!
Iâve felt it too. But thereâs a problem. Itâs just not true.
Oh, you have to âwant it,â to a degree. But itâs not the goal, itâs just a small part of reaching the ultimate goal. Which is⦠wait for it⦠I canât just say it now without some suspense⦠okay here it comes⦠Execution!
Execution is the ultimate goal in football.

