Archived Topic

Open Practice part 2

by hawkwing · 8/8/2014

Advertisement
G
Guest
There is another newly opened practice for fans to enjoy.



Tomorrow (Saturday the 9th) the Cougars will scrimmage at LES. Doors open at 9:45am.
C
Cougarbib
I have not tracked this closely, but it seems that BYU is opening things up a bit more this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Is there a section we should look for CCers in? JCW's or Bam Bam's for lunch afterwards?
G
Guest
I'm looking to sit somewhere around the south 30 yard line. Maybe 20 rows upish.
S
Schmoe
Hine looked real good today. Went up and over a couple defenders on one play, extending it for an extra ten yards or so.



Blackmon and Dye both played well at WR.



Hill looks like he's getting sharper, still work to do.



Defense looked strong, but blew some assignments deep, giving up big plays.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
According to Wrubell, Hill was 9-15 for 98 yards 1 TD. That's 136.88 PER and 60%.



Stewart was 12-17 for 166 yards 1 TD. That's 172.02 PER and 70.6%
B
BroncoBot
Spiff, let's not start that crap already. I love the PER number machine, but it's a scrimmage for crying out loud. Not much to go on here.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
According to Wrubell, Hill was 9-15 for 98 yards 1 TD. That's 136.88 PER and 60%.



Stewart was 12-17 for 166 yards 1 TD. That's 172.02 PER and 70.6%


Thanks Spiff. I always appreciate data - though the -2 you got for reporting the data seems to put me in the minority once again. And, yes, I realize one QB went with the 1s while the other went with the 2s. And who knows VS which defense. And PER does not reflect rushing. But, it is still interesting. Any QB rushing to report, or was that off limits?



I am encouraged to see that our back-up QB is able to complete a pass VS whatever defense and with whatever offense he ran with.



I am still nervous that Hill is not higher even if he went with 2s VS 1s and hope he was not 1s VS 2s.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
After listening to post practice interviews, it appears that most of the 1's were held out of the scrimmage, both offensively and defensively.
S
SpiffCoug
BroncoBot wrote:
Spiff, let's not start that crap already. I love the PER number machine, but it's a scrimmage for crying out loud. Not much to go on here.

In no way should my PER stats be taken in any manner to imply any QB battle. Taysom is the starter. He looked good throwing the ball and met the standard. If we get that kind of production out of him, we're going to be very good. 60% completion for Hill is a very good sign of things to come,
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Spiff, let's not start that crap already. I love the PER number machine, but it's a scrimmage for crying out loud. Not much to go on here.

In no way should my PER stats be taken in any manner to imply any QB battle. Taysom is the starter. He looked good throwing the ball and met the standard. If we get that kind of production out of him, we're going to be very good. 60% completion for Hill is a very good sign of things to come,


Coaches said the issues with Hill last year were more about decision making and not so much about accuracy. Reports indicate that Hill worked very hard in the off season and his decision making has improved as you would expect it to do as a junior compared to his sophomore year.



Experience matters. Hill is expected to anticipate better and get balls released more quickly. I agree with Spiff. There is no QB starter controversy whatsoever. But, maybe we do have a decent back-up and maybe this is an indication of why other back-up candidates left the program.



There are several games that should provide opportunities for the back-up QB to play late in the game.
K
KYCoug
I loved it back in the day when we had All American QB's being backed up by future All American QB's. No problem with that! Let them both grow and develop. Hopefully we can get past all these QB controversies and back into a QB pipeline of great ones.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
U
urroner
Back in the day when I was a student at BYU ( :crazy: ), we had a great QB by the name of Mark Wilson and we were in the middle of a great season. I can't remember which game it was, but Mark Wilson had been injured in the third game of the season against Colorado State. Without a great passing QB, we knew it was over. Some greenhorn qb backup, who was the punter, by the name of Jim McMahon was sent in and he proceeded to destroy the CSU.



Yep, having a great backup QB is awesome.



There was a problem for the next year because who was going to be the starting QB, Wilson or McMahon until McMahon was red-shirted for an injury.



Wilson went on to be a consensus First Team All-American and third in the Heisman and graduated. McMahon was the starting QB the next year and never looked back.
S
SpiffCoug
Calling my shot, based on what I saw out of Taysom yesterday.



He won't be back at BYU next year. He's going to absolutely blow up this season and will turn pro and be a first three-round pick.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Calling my shot, based on what I saw out of Taysom yesterday.



He won't be back at BYU next year. He's going to absolutely blow up this season and will turn pro and be a first three-round pick.


Going early is rarely wise. Going as a 3rd round pick would be foolish. If he really is that good, he should stick around and win The Heisman Trophy.



I think he will be improved. Beyond that, I will hold back any further optimization until we see him VS the 1s at Texas, UCF, and BSU. Yesterday you saw him VS a depleted defense who blew coverage several times.



I am excited to see what we have got this season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.