Archived Topic

P5 Autonomy

by Stirfry · 8/7/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
The P5 may want to seriously reexamine a P5-only scheduling requirement.



Anyone think Alabama is going to want to give up two home games for two road games?



Does Florida get excited by having to leave the state more than twice a season?



Is Ohio State really going to travel to Pullman, WA to play Washington St because they can no longer schedule Miami (OH)?



They may say they prefer to only play P5 teams, until they realize what that would actually entail. And for the biggest of the big boys that will mean giving up one, maybe even two, home games every season.
R
Raiderboy
I was floored by what I saw in this article as well.



http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules?fb_comment_id=fbc_659129797497280_659133204163606_659133204163606#f1a2a8a084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Kyle Whittingham, BYU alum and recent non-Power 5 coach is "undecided" as to whether or not he wants to shut out BYU and stop scheduling them, and other outsiders, permanently? WOW! There is some serious BYU hate up at that school. And the fact that half of the P5 coaches are for it is troubling to say the least.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
The P5 may want to seriously reexamine a P5-only scheduling requirement.



Anyone think Alabama is going to want to give up two home games for two road games?



Does Florida get excited by having to leave the state more than twice a season?



Is Ohio State really going to travel to Pullman, WA to play Washington St because they can no longer schedule Miami (OH)?



They may say they prefer to only play P5 teams, until they realize what that would actually entail. And for the biggest of the big boys that will mean giving up one, maybe even two, home games every season.


Well apparently Nick Saban is worried about the fans, doesn't like the pressure of being eliminated with only 1 loss, and doesn't think teams should get to schedule gimmie games. Huh.....



I can't wait to see 4-8 Utah playing 4-8 Kansas in a bowl game.
S
Stirfry
Stirfry wrote:
So if the P5 + Notre Dame can make their own rules and pay their players http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences



are we left willing and unable too? :sick:


I guess if I could read better I could have answered my own question:



"Leagues outside the top five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance. That could create an even larger competitive imbalance between schools in the power conferences and those in leagues like the Sun Belt, MAC or even in the FCS."



As long as our league of one votes for it we can make our own rules. I say we start with a new rule that if you take 2 years off your eligibility starts over and you have 4 years to play 5. Does anyone know if Harvey Unga is available?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Stirfry wrote:
So if the P5 + Notre Dame can make their own rules and pay their players http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences



are we left willing and unable too? :sick:


I guess if I could read better I could have answered my own question:



"Leagues outside the top five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance. That could create an even larger competitive imbalance between schools in the power conferences and those in leagues like the Sun Belt, MAC or even in the FCS."



As long as our league of one votes for it we can make our own rules. I say we start with a new rule that if you take 2 years off your eligibility starts over and you have 4 years to play 5. Does anyone know if Harvey Unga is available?


If only. The autonomy does not include the ability to make your own transfer rules, eligibility rules, postseason tournaments/eligibility, scholarship limits, signing day restrictions or rules about playing the game that differ from the NCAA's on-the-field rules.
G
Gunk
Greed at it's finest.
B
BOID
I wouldn't worry too much about this. BYU will always be a "Power 5" level program because BYU has the money to compete with the upper 50 percent of those P5 programs, when it comes to resources needed to pay for "real costs of attendance" for athletes. Participation will not hinge entirely on BYU's popularity or ability to join a P5 conference, and neither on BYU's ability to pay. It will hinge mainly on BYU's willingness to spend on that. I think that such willingness is there, and that BYU's resources, including its boosters, will match that of the upper 50 percentile of the Snob Five schools. That alone is what makes BYU a big time program. Appaently, approximately half of the P5 progrsms have no problem with scheduling BYU. The individual P5 programs will never coalesce unanimously on a policy to boycott BYU, and those that continue to try to do that will ultimately be labeled as cowardly, preferring their cellar dweller P5 patsy match-ups to real competition.



So, if BYU wants to pay its way in, it will be in, even as an independent.



As far as Ute KW is concerned, he just wants to preserve the last 4 win streak that he'll ever preside over as his final legacy with his rival. Punk.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
If the P5 agree to schedule only P5, that is a serious blow to BYU and any other P5 no matter what they can afford to spend. I read a suggestion in there that the P5 will need to increase scholarship allotments. Players will want to go there since there would not even be any opportunity to play on a big stage from a mid-major program - regardless of spending. Greed is on a full roll here. They will never stop asking for more.



Greed continues to ruin the greatest sport in the land - college football.



What the greedy fail to realize is that half of the college football fan base is outside of P5, and will lose interest in P5, once exclusion sets in. I will not be tuning into any P5 broadcasts once they have no relevance to BYU Football.



This seems headed to an ugly, litigious, political place. I thought Obama pledged to fix this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BOID wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about this. BYU will always be a "Power 5" level program because BYU has the money to compete with the upper 50 percent of those P5 programs, when it comes to resources needed to pay for "real costs of attendance" for athletes. Participation will not hinge entirely on BYU's popularity or ability to join a P5 conference, and neither on BYU's ability to pay. It will hinge mainly on BYU's willingness to spend on that. I think that such willingness is there, and that BYU's resources, including its boosters, will match that of the upper 50 percentile of the Snob Five schools. That alone is what makes BYU a big time program. Appaently, approximately half of the P5 progrsms have no problem sith scheduling BYU. The individual P5 programs will never coalesce unanimously on a policy to boycott BYU, and those that continue to try to do that will ultimately be labeled as cowardly, preferring their cellar dweller P5 patsy match-ups to real competition.



So, if BYU wants to pay its way in, it will be in, even as an independent.



As far as Ute KW is concerned, he just wants to preserve the last 4 win streak that he'll ever preside over as his final legacy with his rival. Punk.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Would you rather that Kyle had voted yes like almost all PAC coaches did? He is undecided and did not go with The PAC party line because he does want to play BYU, but at the same time, realizes that PAC is generally playing tougher schedules than most P5 conferences, and thus, forcing SEC to play P5 only would level the playing field. He just foes not realize that a new set of have-nots will emerge in P5 and KU, ISU, and others will start giving 2 for 1 for money.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars


In football, BYU can choose to do whatever they want- Either waste tons of money, or lose out on some of the best recruits.



Basketball could be a problem, since what we can and can't do will be dictated by the WCC, and not by our own wishes.
9
98BYUAlum
I'll be curious to hear KW's opinion (or other coaches who get fired from P5 schools) when he is an assistant coach at a mid major school next year or the following.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Screamineagle
98BYUAlum wrote:
I'll be curious to hear KW's opinion (or other coaches who get fired from P5 schools) when he is an assistant coach at a mid major school next year or the following.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Thats a good one fell out of my chair laughing.Thanks for making my day.
B
BOID
bib, I would expect KW to be a man and vote "NO." He was coaching a "mid major" not too long ago, and was singing a different tune then. Oh how quickly the hypocrisy rises. He shouldn't be undecided about whether to discard an historic in-state rivalry, or be undecided about whether his Alma Mater was a legitimate big time program, being more storied by far than his present affiliate. Shame on him.



I also do not think this is, or should be, a coach's decision. Wonder if the AD's and presidents all agree in this selfish betrayal of the rest of Division IA/FBS. I also wonder if the main allure for this proposal is not the exclusion of the other 5, as much as it is the lifting of the six win prerequisite for bowls. That might explain why some P5 patsies voted. "Yes."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
On second thought, who am I kidding? Money grubbing usually trumps other motives.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BOID
Well, Arizona's Rich Rodriguez showed Kyle how to be a man: "No, because some of those (group of 5) are better than the so called 'haves' (power 5)." Now THAT's a man.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Senator Obama = Undecided

Pres Obama = botch everything

KW = undecided

KW (by end of 2014) looking for a job



P5 = a huge disaster in the making; lawsuits galore; Anti-trust breeding ground

Lower P5s = newest "have-nots"; looking for another conf or killing athletics
S
scott715
Didn't Hatch mention anti-trust the other day? The BCS buster talk created a lot of buzz for football. Everyone likes the underdog. I think that brought in viewers to the games on tv. If they eliminate the competition I expect that tv contracts have maxed out their dollars. The next round of negotiations will not be for more money.
S
Stirfry
I'm with Bib that I would quickly lose interest in the P5 if it had no impact on BYU. (Unfortunately I'd probably lose interest in college football all together. There's other things to do in life especially in early fall.)



I do wonder about the WCC agreement and title 9. Could BYU really match P5 spending on football along with player stipends while not doing things in the WCC sports? It seems there would be problems there.
R
Raiderboy
Stirfry wrote:
I'm with Bib that I would quickly lose interest in the P5 if it had no impact on BYU. (Unfortunately I'd probably lose interest in college football all together. There's other things to do in life especially in early fall.)



I do wonder about the WCC agreement and title 9. Could BYU really match P5 spending on football along with player stipends while not doing things in the WCC sports? It seems there would be problems there.


BYU's administration has repeatedly said that they intend to match the additional stipends and benefits, and that they can afford to do it. Most of the P5 schools are in the red on athletic funding to begin with, so the benefits can't be anything too outrageous.



The P5 TV money will significantly decrease if they actually go through with only scheduling each other. I would never watch a P5 game again, because of both principle and lack of interest. It would be come a boycott for more than half of America without even needing to organize it. I think the P5 knows it and so it won't happen. I also don't think the networks will let it happen. Surprised it's even gone this far.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.