Archived Topic

Causal FB fan - Are we actually good?

by Qman · 7/28/2014

Advertisement
Q
Qman
Hey BYU FB experts, I casually follow the football team. Are we going to be good this year?



Being in Houston how much do I talk up the Cougars to the Texas fans at work?



I know Hill and Williams are stars-- do we know who the next reciever(s) are?



On D do we have anyone on Ansah's or Van Noy's level?
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm no expert.....but,



10 or 11 win season is Pretty good! BYU is going to be an exciting team to watch and follow. They will be relevant in the national scene and be in the top 25..



Going to BE a great rematch with the HCougs. Two of the top 10 QBs in the country.

In the end, the HCougs at their speed and this game's speed will sputter in Q4 because of elevation.



Intriguing returners at WR and very intriguing recruits/transfers to make a deep squad who could hurt teams if Hill can deliver the ball.



D stars = Bronson Kaufusi--he will play on Sundays. Other very good players including The best defensive backfield maybe since 1996.
M
mizzoucoug
BYU will be a top 40 team as usual or better. We don't know anything about how the receivers will play in this system, and only one top guy has any D1 experience (I'm not really counting on MM or Apo to do anything). The rest is hype--which we all love.



The QB will be in Heisman discussions before the end of next season. Our RB is above average for BYU, but he's no Unga yet.



The OL hopefully doesn't suck and same goes for the TE's. The D will be fine, but there's a lot of talk about the potential for a couple of "shutdown corners," which in BYU land probably means a 10-yard cushion instead of 15. :)



This will be a fun season, and we'll beat UT too. You going to that game? Where in Houston do you live?
A
ABYUFAN
mizzoucoug wrote:
Our RB is above average for BYU, but he's no Unga yet.




This is the only part of your post that I have a problem with. I loved Unga, and he had incredible field vision, finding holes that most backs simply missed, but I think that Williams has the explosive speed that Unga never had, making him a better back than Unga at this point in their careers.
N
NDCougar
BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.



7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)



2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)



2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)



1 toss up (UT) (50%)



Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I like JW lack of fumbles. Elite.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
JW will equal and probably surpass Unga loved that guy. WISH He would have stayed his Sr year. Hope JW stays his Sr year. Both deserve Elite status at BYU.
D
DeVon
NDCougar wrote:
BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.



7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)



2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)



2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)



1 toss up (UT) (50%)



Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.


I hate this and am sick of everybody on boards and in the media bagging on BYU's schedule this year and saying "if BYU doesn't go 12-1 or better it is a disgrace to college football and they should cut the football program altogether" (I'm paraphrasing). This is a serviceable schedule that is better than most years in the MWC, which is about as good as we could hope for as an indy.



Your top 7 games are about right, not much to argue there (95% is a little high, but not worth arguing)



USU and BSU - I agree that we SHOULD win these games but 80%...really? We finally beat BSU and now we can say that we should beat them 80% of our remaining games? First of all it is in Boise and they have a great home field advantage. Secondively, Heddrick has more experience and he is "The Guy" now. The only thing against BSU, and I admit it is no small thing, is that they lost Chris Peterson. USU is scary. Wells is an AWESOME coach and Keeton is a great QB with something to prove against BYU. I give us a slight edge in either game at 60%, but wouldn't be surprised to see us split these.



UCF, Houston, UT - These are 50/50 at best. Remind me what our record in the state of Florida is??? I know UCF lost Bortles, but they are a great program with a great coach. Houston scares the crap out of me, John O'Korn is one of the best young QB's in the nation. UT? Well, they're Texas, and if they only have one game circled this year, raise your hand if you think it is anybody but BYU.



Sorry about the long post, but this has been driving me crazy lately. If BYU ends this season 10-3 or better it is one of the great seasons.
H
Hookem
Qman wrote:
Being in Houston how much do I talk up the Cougars to the Texas fans at work?


As a Texas fan, I say that if you have to talk up BYU to Texas fans after last years shellacking in Provo and the close game in Austin in 2011, then either they've been in a coma the last 3 years and haven't yet been caught up on their current events, or they're clueless and aren't worth the trouble to explain why the game in Austin this year is one to take seriously.



The name Taysom Hill, along with BYU's '13 defense likely provided some memories that Texas fans would prefer have erased from their collective minds. Just saying...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
ABYUFAN wrote:
Our RB is above average for BYU, but he's no Unga yet.




This is the only part of your post that I have a problem with. I loved Unga, and he had incredible field vision, finding holes that most backs simply missed, but I think that Williams has the explosive speed that Unga never had, making him a better back than Unga at this point in their careers.


That is true, but how often do we really get to see JW use his speed? It seems like most of his runs are read-options up the gut for 3 yards max. So some of it is on play-calling. But I still take Unga because if it's 3rd and goal or short he gets you those yards due to his size and physicality. JW is not a sure thing. And he hasn't proven to be a receiving threat like Unga was.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Hookem, welcome back. I love having you hang out here. Your post made me laugh. Not in a mean way, mind you. I look forward to the game in Austin this year, and hope for many future opportunities to face off against the Longhorns.



May Sept. 6th it be UT's only loss of the season. Hope you do well the rest of the year minus the BYU game. :)
A
ABYUFAN
mizzoucoug wrote:



That is true, but how often do we really get to see JW use his speed? It seems like most of his runs are read-options up the gut for 3 yards max.


He's had a bunch of really exciting runs. The one in the Nevada game was brilliant. According to this site, http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/77/1046566/rushing/situational.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he had 10 rushes of 20+ yards (just about one a game) with a long of 70. Harvey's Jr. year stats are here



http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/player/77/1000485/rushing/situational.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Williams as a sophomore had two rushes longer than Unga's longest, 2 more 20+ plays than Harvey, and was a sophomore while Harvey was a Jr.



I'm in no way knocking Harvey, as I said, he was awesome, and we'd have lost a few games without him as our back, I just think that Williams is just as good.
B
BoiseBYU
NDCougar wrote:
BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.



7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)



2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)



2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)



1 toss up (UT) (50%)



Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.


No way we have an 80% chance of beating BSU @ BSU. I'd rate it a toss up leaning BYU. I do not think we "should" pull it out @ UCF. Top 20 team at their place? I'd give us better than 50/50 with Houston. Bottom line is outside Logan, we did not show well on the road last year and so I'd not be so generous. With TX's player losses, maybe that game is a toss up but I doubt it--they have lots of players to step up....Very wrong to say anything less than 10 wins is a horrible year.
N
NDCougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.



7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)



2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)



2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)



1 toss up (UT) (50%)



Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.


No way we have an 80% chance of beating BSU @ BSU. I'd rate it a toss up leaning BYU. I do not think we "should" pull it out @ UCF. Top 20 team at their place? I'd give us better than 50/50 with Houston. Bottom line is outside Logan, we did not show well on the road last year and so I'd not be so generous. With TX's player losses, maybe that game is a toss up but I doubt it--they have lots of players to step up....Very wrong to say anything less than 10 wins is a horrible year.


I guess we will need to disagree. BSU is not the BSU during the hey day, they are down and they have a new coach. Re: UCF, you could have a point, but they are not a top 25 team (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/comparing-all-2014-preseason-college-football-rankings-and-picks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) at best on the fringe of top 25......the 80% is high but BYU should win and no excuse.



We have a very light schedule and I believe losing more than 2 games is a disappointment given the experience and improvement that should happen on O and Bronco should have the D in line (I know KVN is gone but the secondary is improved). Again, this schedule is too light to not have 10 wins.
B
BoiseBYU
NDCougar wrote:
NDCougar wrote:
BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.



7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)



2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)



2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)



1 toss up (UT) (50%)



Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.


No way we have an 80% chance of beating BSU @ BSU. I'd rate it a toss up leaning BYU. I do not think we "should" pull it out @ UCF. Top 20 team at their place? I'd give us better than 50/50 with Houston. Bottom line is outside Logan, we did not show well on the road last year and so I'd not be so generous. With TX's player losses, maybe that game is a toss up but I doubt it--they have lots of players to step up....Very wrong to say anything less than 10 wins is a horrible year.


I guess we will need to disagree. BSU is not the BSU during the hey day, they are down and they have a new coach. Re: UCF, you could have a point, but they are not a top 25 team (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/comparing-all-2014-preseason-college-football-rankings-and-picks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) at best on the fringe of top 25......the 80% is high but BYU should win and no excuse.



We have a very light schedule and I believe losing more than 2 games is a disappointment given the experience and improvement that should happen on O and Bronco should have the D in line (I know KVN is gone but the secondary is improved). Again, this schedule is too light to not have 10 wins.


I hope you are right. But I know how hard it is to play at Boise. It is one tough venue. I think BSU is like 50-2 at home over the past several years. BYU has never won at Boise. I hope this is the year.
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
It is interesting to look at pre-season predictions. This one shows BYU with a relatively low SOS and predicts a 10 win season. http://www.4down20.com/rankings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Seems reasonable to me.
H
Hookem
Ungoy wrote:
Hookem, welcome back. I love having you hang out here. Your post made me laugh. Not in a mean way, mind you. I look forward to the game in Austin this year, and hope for many future opportunities to face off against the Longhorns.



May Sept. 6th it be UT's only loss of the season. Hope you do well the rest of the year minus the BYU game. :)


Thanks, Ungoy.



I agree. We need to have a long term series set up between us. A good respectful rivalry we seem to have going. It would be a shame to put too long a hiatus between this game in September and the next time we play.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
NDCougar
Wolverine wrote:
It is interesting to look at pre-season predictions. This one shows BYU with a relatively low SOS and predicts a 10 win season. http://www.4down20.com/rankings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Seems reasonable to me.


SoS is helpful, but not sure how credible the rankings are.......but I guess what rankings are relevant at this point. Bowling Green ahead of OU and LSU? Baylor and ASU #3 and #4, both will be solid but that seems awfully high......especially ahead of Bama and Ohio State.
C
cscoug
Hookem wrote:
Hookem, welcome back. I love having you hang out here. Your post made me laugh. Not in a mean way, mind you. I look forward to the game in Austin this year, and hope for many future opportunities to face off against the Longhorns.



May Sept. 6th it be UT's only loss of the season. Hope you do well the rest of the year minus the BYU game. :)


Thanks, Ungoy.



I agree. We need to have a long term series set up between us. A good respectful rivalry we seem to have going. It would be a shame to put too long a hiatus between this game in September and the next time we play.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hey, we could always join the Big 12 to keep the series going! Or at least establish some kind of scheduling agreement (re: ND and the ACC).



Being a Texas boy, I have wanted this to happen for a long time. Culturally, we fit there very nicely.
H
Hookem
cscoug wrote:
Hey, we could always join the Big 12 to keep the series going! Or at least establish some kind of scheduling agreement (re: ND and the ACC).



Being a Texas boy, I have wanted this to happen for a long time. Culturally, we fit there very nicely.


Agreed. It's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.