Archived Topic

Sione Takitaki dismissed from team

by scott715 · 7/17/2014

Advertisement
D
Ddawg
A talented athlete. I was excited to see him develop and contribute. Not good. Let's see what news percolates out over the next week or so. I hate losing athletes over poor choices. He'll probably slide off to Wisconsin or Az St. We'll see how this shakes out. :~(
B
byucougar1
Perhaps he will follow the path that Zac Stout took to return back to the team. This is likely if he had a good experience at BYU and realizes the growth and development that he can achieve. Not surprisingly, the BYU coaches stayed in contact with Zac throughout the process so he was not thrown to the curb.
M
MileHighCougarFan
Does that mean we have a linebacker scholarship available for Porter Gustin?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
MileHighCougarFan wrote:

Does that mean we have a linebacker scholarship available for Porter Gustin?


Dayumn! That man thinks quickly on his feet - eh? I believe you are correct sir. 8)

(Unless that bridge has been burned to oblivion)
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Ironically, they didn't even mention that it was due to a violation of team rules. That is the most BYU would report unless something happened that is already a matter of public record and that would likely surface.





This was probably the Vai S tweet. Polynesian Pipeline.
S
snoscythe
What I think of when I read this kid's name:



[youtube]XsWo8apgLys[/youtube]
C
Cougarbib
beauso79 wrote:
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=12675545



CougarBoard reports that Takitaki will remain in school and elegible to rejoin the team in January.


Talo at TBS is reporting the same thing


People over there reported that they have seen him still there attending class. Someone said Coach Mendenhall put it up to the team for a team vote. Apparently whatever he did wrong was within the range of what The HC Office and Academic administrators could allow a 2nd chance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
I'm glad he's still attending class at the Y. I firmly believe, if someone can be helped - we help. We can have standards, be firm in them, yet be kind and helpful towards a youthful offender. These athletes, though adults, they are young. Especially the Freshman.



I know there are situations where an athlete must be dismissed from both the team and school. But, there are lots of gray areas where the key decision makes have "latitude". It's usually a better decision to offer a helping hand and develop a bond of brotherhood and gratitude rather than chopping off their head and creating a lifelong resentment. Those are just my personal feelings.



By the way - I know some of you guys are "hooked up" with inside scoop. I am not - and it's obvious. By now, I would think one you "connected" Coug guys would have the real story of what went down with Talkitaki. Anyone willing to share?
S
scott715
I want to know but I prefer it stays off the internet until an announcement is made if they ever do.
S
SpoCoug
Looks like he's back on the team (actually, "been on the field since day one") according to Wrubell tweets.
S
scott715
I heard the same from another source.
B
BroncoBot
Latest Darnell Dickson mentions him playing and catching Bronco's eye.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Yes - he and Harvey Langhi are both playing together and are dominant - stand out. Sounds like a nice tandem.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MileHighCougarFan
I was pleasantly shocked to see his name mentioned in a recent article. And it finally made sense as to why Porter Gustin was not offered right away.
C
Cougs_Rule
Pikula will be back soon. But yes, love to hear those guys are doing well. However, Thats a big drop off in experience and scheme knowledge. guys have to be in the right place.

Whats the word on Stout. Havent heard much. MLB might be the D's biggest worry.
D
Ddawg
" ...... true freshman Sione Takitaki ran with the second string today. Regarding Takitaki’s status, Coach Mendenhall said that “there are no issues” regarding him being on the team. TotalBlueSports.com had previously reported that Takitaki had been dismissed from the team for fall semester. Takitaki has been in uniform and participating since fall camp opened."
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.