Archived Topic

Why we will beat Texas: Summahtime Edition

by TulaneVandyRiceCoug · 7/16/2014

Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
http://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2014/7/1/5861898/david-ash-foot-injury-texas-longhorns-7on-7-workouts



"It's Ash or bust this season..."



Mwahaha HAHAHAHA haha HAha mwahaha!



I think we can take Texas, our defense will shut down Mr. Ash and the Texas offense.



I think the sway of how Texas performs and how our defense keeps them out of reach, and subsequently how the game (and dare I say, season) go...will depend much on how David Ash is ready to be their QB.



And I think it's in BYU's advantage. Here's my crystal-ball logic. Let's remember the last time their QB played BYU. I remember watching that game, bringing my binoculars...I mean, that guy got beat up.



Surely, fellow cougar fans, are we not in this young gentleman's head? I mean our defense was all over him. Is our defense not improved? And doth this article suggest doubt in Mr. Ash? I think that the Charlie Strong train will get moving, but this above article makes me think Texas is not ready at QB, which gives me those summertime goosepimples that tickle when rubbed lightly. I mean, come on, we HANDLED Texas last year, and I don't see how they can be at full speed or improved so much, especially heading into week 2. The Charlie Strong era will begin with a blip against BYU. They will do great the rest of the year.



We can beat Texas, at Texas, and we can shut down their offense, I slam the door on this issue, gentlemen. We will win this game. Our D v. their O = big advantage to BYU.



And I haven't even touched yet on my own opinions about how Taysom and our offense will terrorize Texas's defense again. That's just a whole other post entirely. I haven't been commenting as much but in a phrase: the additions/returns of Blackmon, Kurtz, Leslie, Mathews, Apo, Williams, and an improved line will, once again, have their way with the Texas defense. Mark it down here, baby! Cougars will start this season 2 and OHHHHH YEAHHHHH!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! This is it! Football season is gettin close!!! AAAA!!!!
N
NDCougar
I some what agree, but I am not as bullish as you. Often times things are skewed in either direction for a first year coach, ex: it takes a while to get rolling or the offense comes out firing as it takes a bit for the defense to catch-up with the new system (look at Crowton).



The BYU win last year was not on all on Ash, their o-line was horrid. If Ash is running all day it is an issue for UT. I think BYU can win, but not sure it is as easy as you believe.



I am not sure by the 2nd game we will know if the defense has improved, but we have huge holes to fill so I am skeptical.....I do think UT may struggle on offense. I don't think UT's effort could be worse than last year, their offense and defense were horrid. I do think BYU's offense should be significantly better and this may be a key, TH did great running vs UT but I expect a much more balanced attack this year. I do expect UT to be much more disciplined on defense and thus improved.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
NDCougar wrote:
I some what agree, but I am not as bullish as you. Often times things are skewed in either direction for a first year coach, ex: it takes a while to get rolling or the offense comes out firing as it takes a bit for the defense to catch-up with the new system (look at Crowton).



The BYU win last year was not on all on Ash, their o-line was horrid. If Ash is running all day it is an issue for UT. I think BYU can win, but not sure it is as easy as you believe.



I am not sure by the 2nd game we will know if the defense has improved, but we have huge holes to fill so I am skeptical.....I do think UT may struggle on offense. I don't think UT's effort could be worse than last year, their offense and defense were horrid. I do think BYU's offense should be significantly better and this may be a key, TH did great running vs UT but I expect a much more balanced attack this year. I do expect UT to be much more disciplined on defense and thus improved.


Drink the kool-aid. Driiiiiink iiiiiiitttt!!! Just, c'mon. It is delicious to the taste.
M
mizzoucoug
You just never can tell with a team that recruits so much talent. But UT's issues aside, what about our WR core? We don't know anything about how they'll perform. And we don't have a superstar on D anymore so there's a few plays every game that we won't get that big play we've grown accustomed to. I think BYU will beat UT. But I'd feel much more confident if we do better than eke out a win vs. UConn. I need some cushion before I get my hopes up on the season.
H
Hookem
So I haven't visited this site in months, I jump on here and look what I find.



I wish I could provide an honest evaluation as to why I think the OP is either wrong or right in his assessment, but I can't. I tried to offer some insights last year and overshot my evaluation by leaps and bounds in regards to Major Applewhite as a qualified OC and Mack finally doing what it takes to right the ship and bring some toughness and accountability into the program. I had taken a huge gulp of the kool-aid made by the Mack Brown hype-machine.



No more kool-aid drinking for me until I see actual results on the field.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Yeah, man. I look at this game too and I think, realistically, this can go either way--all things considered, and it will be a great game regardless.



That said, enter in emotional, crazy, Captain Insane-O thinking. There's really nothing of substance from the initial posting other than my own pontifications, but I will stand by this definitive statement: we may have a psychological edge over David Ash as a spillover from last year and his timing being back at the helm meeting BYU in week 2.



There's very little definitive about this game. And I'm dying for football season to start. Fall camp, preseason something, anything, pleeeeeease!!!! It's hot, and I am reaching for the kool-aid. (pause for drinking) "Ahhhhh!!!!!"
I
IowaCougar
At this time of year I'm always an active member of the Church of the Undefeated Season! Bring on the Kool-Aid!
V
vancouvercougar
Hookem wrote:
So I haven't visited this site in months, I jump on here and look what I find.



I wish I could provide an honest evaluation as to why I think the OP is either wrong or right in his assessment, but I can't. I tried to offer some insights last year and overshot my evaluation by leaps and bounds in regards to Major Applewhite as a qualified OC and Mack finally doing what it takes to right the ship and bring some toughness and accountability into the program. I had taken a huge gulp of the kool-aid made by the Mack Brown hype-machine.



No more kool-aid drinking for me until I see actual results on the field.


Welcome back Hookem.
H
Hookem
[quote="TulaneVandyRiceCoug"]Yeah, man. I look at this game too and I think, realistically, this can go either way--all things considered, and it will be a great game regardless.



That said, enter in emotional, crazy, Captain Insane-O thinking. There's really nothing of substance from the initial posting other than my own pontifications, but I will stand by this definitive statement: we may have a psychological edge over David Ash as a spillover from last year and his timing being back at the helm meeting BYU in week 2.



There's very little definitive about this game. And I'm dying for football season to start. Fall camp, preseason something, anything, pleeeeeease!!!! It's hot, and I am reaching for the kool-aid. (pause for drinking) "Ahhhhh!!!!!"[/quote]



Yep. The dog days of summer are upon us and football season can't get here soon enough.



As far as BYU having a physiological edge edge over David, I really have no idea. I'm sure the thought if not seeing number 3 in his grill every play has to bring him comfort.
C
Cougarfan87
IowaCougar wrote:
At this time of year I'm always an active member of the Church of the Undefeated Season! Bring on the Kool-Aid!


I'm a less active member of that church. It probably has something to do with the sporadic home teachers. Back in 1990, 1996, 2001, 2006, and 2008 they were pretty consistent visitors, so my faith was pretty strong in the Church of the Undefeated Season. Since then, they come maybe one or two months a year, which makes me believe its possible, but then they flame out and stop visiting.



Just call me a high maintenance member of the Church of the Undefeated. I don't have a testimony of my own (I didn't start watching football until 1987), so I need lots of visits to build up my faith. Maybe my hometeachers will be more consistent this year and bring me back into activity.
Advertisement
H
Hookem
vancouvercougar wrote:
So I haven't visited this site in months, I jump on here and look what I find.



I wish I could provide an honest evaluation as to why I think the OP is either wrong or right in his assessment, but I can't. I tried to offer some insights last year and overshot my evaluation by leaps and bounds in regards to Major Applewhite as a qualified OC and Mack finally doing what it takes to right the ship and bring some toughness and accountability into the program. I had taken a huge gulp of the kool-aid made by the Mack Brown hype-machine.



No more kool-aid drinking for me until I see actual results on the field.


Welcome back Hookem.



Thx, Buddy!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
2013: BYU O annihilated UT D. That won't happen in 2014, even though BYU O will be better YOY. But, UT D will be much improved if only in effort alone; scheme in 2013 couldn't have been worse.



2014: who knows what Ash will be like. And while #3 is now gone, there is another number he will have to be very wary of--#90. Van Noy harassed. Kaufusi Smashes.



Hookem, you might want to warn Coach Strong. UT does have a habit of hubris.
B
Brayden Green
Charlie Strong was the best hire that UT could have made not named Saban or Briles. Their team is going to look a lot better this year from last, if only in effort. I think they will be schemed better for BYU, and I think it will be hard for us. I have no faith in our offensive line, I have no faith in Robert Anae calling a complete game against a difficult team, and I haven't seen any seperation from our wide receivers against man coverage since Collie and Pitta left. UT will be going a LOT of man against us on the edges and stacking the box against the run.



That, plus the fact that I don't think that our defense will be better than last years defense, at least not on day one. I think we might run the 3-3-5- and Dime packages more with our uncharacteristically weak LB core coming into this year. That has the potential to upset a quarterback and get INTs. It also has potential for them to run a million yards and go over the top (with the DBs zoning into areas against the run).



It could go either way, but if I had to put my families financial future on it, it would be hard for me to put it all down on my Cougs. It should be a good game.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
UT will be going a LOT of man against us on the edges and stacking the box against the run.


Hopefully.



Contrary to popular sentiment, UT had the box stacked a lot last year. The sentiment didn't match what I had witnessed on game day. So, I re-watched and chronicled the game after hearing so many arm chair coaches claiming that Texas should have stacked the box to stop BYU's 2013 rushing attack.



It was actually stacking the box that hurt Texas in 2013. Half of Taysom's rushing yards happened with 7 or 8 Texas defenders in the box. JW had runs of 19, 34, and 37 yards when Texas had 8 in the box. TH scored a 26 yard TD with 7 in the box and the OLB blitzing. Taysom and JW basically ran outside the box for big gains.



I believe we will see the Texas D look to stop the run first, but spread the field more, forcing Taysom to beat them with his arm. I'm hoping his arm is ready!
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Hookem, is this right? What's your take on this? I've always thought last year's game with Texas was a weird scheming issue gone awry allowing BYU to run and run and run, consequently, Texas's defensive coordinator gets the boot. The BYU fan in me wants to say, "ohhhh, baby-back ribs, did we really run that much over the Texas defense that is actively trying to stop the run?" But part of me is having a hard time accepting that, because well gee whilikers, it's Texas's defense. Lot of talent in those 11.
H
Hookem
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
Hookem, is this right? What's your take on this? I've always thought last year's game with Texas was a weird scheming issue gone awry allowing BYU to run and run and run, consequently, Texas's defensive coordinator gets the boot. The BYU fan in me wants to say, "ohhhh, baby-back ribs, did we really run that much over the Texas defense that is actively trying to stop the run?" But part of me is having a hard time accepting that, because well gee whilikers, it's Texas's defense. Lot of talent in those 11.


It wasn't the scheme. BYU simply exposed the rot that had been occurring within the program for a while. I watched a smaller, slower Utah squad contain Hill two weeks later even after he had a better night passing than night than he did against us. You could say that the night we played, Hill couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but fortunately for Hill, neither could Texas' tacklers.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
This article made me sad:



http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-cougars-football/2014/7/18/5909885/byu-cougars-football-is-going-to-start-1-2


I can't disagree with any of that. Now the cougars need to go out and prove him wrong.


I agree about his UConn analysis. BYU on the road in the opener is a recipe for disaster. I am as worried about that game as I am of the game @ UT. On the other hand, I'm not worried at all about Houston. They have talent, but we had a lot going against us personnel-wise and they won't have the crowd to pick them up like they did last season. That one we'll win by 20.
C
craigoscarson
UConn will be a 25 point blowout IF none of our guys get suspended for all this current hush hush drama.



They are in year 1 of a new coach and have almost no talent on that team, no fans (BYU will outnumber UConn) and our team is experienced...



Houston will be a shootout, but it's at our place and we'll run all over them.



Texas at home.... that would be big.. their strength might be our greatest weakness next year, interior run. If Texas is smart, they'll do what Washington did to us, because they can. If they try to get tricky, they'll fail but up the gut power game, they have the horses and we lost our very underrated interior linebackers (in spite of that, Washington, and Wisconsin had their way with us)... I won't say Notre Dame, because I don't think we were dominated in that game... we were sloppy.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.