Archived Topic

LDS vs Non-LDS

by scott715 · 7/9/2014

Advertisement
S
scott715
Interesting question to think about. Two identical players, which one would you offer? The member or non-member?
G
Guest
Both.
S
scott715
Got to choose one. Limited scholarships. Which one gets the nod?
S
Stirfry
Are they identical people along with being identical players?



Give it to the LDS kid. His family has been supporting BYU just like if you are a state school you should give it to the local player whose family pays taxes not the out of state guy. I also think you're more likely to develop recruiting channels if you give it to the guy who most likely has friends/family that will also be interested.



Hopefully you give one to both though
B
BoiseBYU
I would NEVER base a pick solely because one is "LDS" and one is not. Putting aside that no two people are ever identical, being LDS does not mean in all cases that a person would benefit from the "BYU experience" and the same is true for the non LDS player. So you'd need to know more about both players before you could decide who to offer.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Non-LDS--the value of what you offer him is far greater.



The LDS kid is still only looking at $5K a year in tuition, which is manageable and better than pretty much any other FBS non-scholarship tuition he'll be looking at. In the absence of any other scholarship offers, he probably metriculates to BYU without a scholarship, maybe as a preferred walk-on.



The non-LDS kids is looking at double that amount in tuition without the scholarship, which would be on a par or worse than a number of FBS options like state schools, so without knowing anything further I'd peg his likelihood to metriculate to BYU without a scholarship at less than 50%.



From my perspective, giving the scholarship to the non-LDS maximizes the chances that both eventually end up on the team at some point in the future.
S
scott715
I think the non member. By giving it to the him, his family and friends could become Cougars and expand our fan base. The LDS kid probably would have no effect. Further, the experience could have more of a profound effect on the kid. Added plus, it could expand our recruiting pool.
N
NDCougar
Need more details. Depends where the kids are from and what they have to offer. An example would be, if the LDS kid is from Kentucky and we have no future plans to recruit the area it does little to help from that front, while on the other hand if the non-LDS kid is from a key recruiting area (ex-CA) and we are developing recruiting in the area and with the school you take the non-LDS kid.



Is the LDS kid going to serve a mission? If so what are the expected needs at the position? Do I need immediate help over the next 2 years at the position of the recruit? If so a non-LDS kid fills it better. If not and the position is full the next several years maybe we build for 3+ years down the road with an LDS/RM offer.



Also, on a non-football related note I would clearly want to see if the non-LDS kid could handle BYU. Any concern about honor code? Would he fit in? More downside of a transfer? Etc etc.



Too many variables. I don't make this of a "who would benefit more" decision as it is tough to really know (unless is it is a situation that is glaringly obvious, which does not always happen), I make it a football decision and make sure the non-LDS kid also meets the non-football criteria if he is a better football fit.
M
Marking Time
• The scholarship is worth more to him. Tuition for non-LDS is twice that of LDS students.

• BYU tuition is so low that the LDS recruit might end up as a BYU walkon anyway.

• Non-LDS likely needs the BYU experience more. Practically every college and university in the country has a LDS institute of religion associated with it. That would be available to the LDS recruit if he ends up somewhere else.

• Diversity is a wonder thing.

• No mission scholarship juggling required.
S
scott715
the mission juggle could be a good point. It is a bit easier now with them serving straight out of high school.
Advertisement
G
Guest
But then the non-member converts, and decides to go on a mission, leaving you with an unplanned mission to handle!
S
scott715
And that is a wonderful problem to have. A convert who serves should be a member for at least a year (probably is a requirement). That gives time to plan for it.
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
And that is a wonderful problem to have. A convert who serves should be a member for at least a year (probably is a requirement). That gives time to plan for it.

Very true, but the decision to go can still be somewhat last minute, after they have been a member for a year.
M
Marking Time
hawkwing wrote:
And that is a wonderful problem to have. A convert who serves should be a member for at least a year (probably is a requirement). That gives time to plan for it.

Very true, but the decision to go can still be somewhat last minute, after they have been a member for a year.

Yes, but I don't see Bronco being too upset about such a situation, do you?
S
snoscythe
Marking Time wrote:
scott715 wrote:
And that is a wonderful problem to have. A convert who serves should be a member for at least a year (probably is a requirement). That gives time to plan for it.

Very true, but the decision to go can still be somewhat last minute, after they have been a member for a year.

Yes, but I don't see Bronco being too upset about such a situation, do you?


http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/rockytalklive/archives/diamustang.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
That's an interesting, hypothetical dilemma. Personally, given that both athletes have identical skills sets.

I would:

1. Look at what positions they played, and the needs of the team would dictate my decision.

2. Assuming they were both the same position, the same skill level, the same athletic ability (which is a highly improbable situation) I would look at -

3. Their, character, attitude, and desire to be at the Y.



I assure you, in one of the above factors, a decision could be made. Having to choose on the sole factor of "LDS" vs "non-LDS" would never occur - if I was making the decision. Me personally, I love seeing non-LDS athletes on then Y roster. I also love seeing non-LDS coaches on staff.



One day, I would like to see a non-LDS Head Coach at BYU. Look at Notre Dame. Not all HC's there are Catholic. One of their greatest coaches (Ara Parseghian) was Presbyterian. There are high quality coaches out there that have high moral, character, and academic standards that would buy 100% into and support the Honor Code at BYU. I don't expect to see it happen, but, I think it would be a positive experience. But, that's a "whole nother" topic.
G
Gunk
If I had to pick, the non-LDS, hands down. Opportunity for the church to expand its influence to a person/group that's unfamiliar with BYU. BYU has plenty of inroads with the LDS community and doesn't need to build a relationship with the faithful. Even if the non-LDS athlete doesn't join the church they would hopefully take their positive experience with Mormons and carry that to their social circles, which the Church has little to no influence on.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mormonrasta
My preference for BYU recruiting is:



1. LDS athlete that does not serve a mission

2. Non LDS

3. LDS athletes that do serve missions



Our best players by and large came from groups 1 and 2. My slight preference is for the LDS non RM because they are less likely to transfer than the nonLDS player. If we are serious about becoming nationally relevant we can't continue to have 75% of the team serve missions. I'm not anti mission. I would hope if given a choice my son would choose a mission over football.



BYU in the early 80s had 1/3 of the RM total that we have today. Less than half of the roster should be RMs not 75% like we have today.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Case in point.
S
scott715
Case in point -- Jatterius Gulley, non LDS from Alabama. He could open some recruiting in the South and I expect more eyeballs on ESPN games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.