Archived Topic

Harvey Langi Transfer

by jbluesuu · 7/7/2014

Advertisement
J
jbluesuu
Looks like he wants to come to the Y now that he is home from his mission. Do you think it will happen?
S
scott715
What do I know about talent and potential. He was a big high school recruit but he did not have a great first year at the U. Perhaps we can get better.
G
Guest
His mom and Whitt are both opposed to the transfer. Whitt went so far as to say he owned him.
S
snoscythe
He'll transfer, but he may have to sit out a year depending on how things go with the NCAA.



Whitt will not, and in my mind should not, release him--he simply can't afford the precedent of allowing anyone who wants to transfer to BYU without penalty. I have no issue with Whitt doing that.



However, it appears Utah flubbed it with Langi. Because he was an early graduate from high school, Utah apparently never bothered to file his NLI with the NCAA as he was on campus prior to the February NLI date. Unfortunately for Utah, by not filing the NLI, they lost out on the transfer protection, so Langi may be able to play without sitting out a year regardless of what Whitt wants at this point.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
snoscythe wrote:
He'll transfer, but he may have to sit out a year depending on how things go with the NCAA.



Whitt will not, and in my mind should not, release him--he simply can't afford the precedent of allowing anyone who wants to transfer to BYU without penalty. I have no issue with Whitt doing that.



However, it appears Utah flubbed it with Langi. Because he was an early graduate from high school, Utah apparently never bothered to file his NLI with the NCAA as he was on campus prior to the February NLI date. Unfortunately for Utah, by not filing the NLI, they lost out on the transfer protection, so Langi may be able to play without sitting out a year regardless of what Whitt wants at this point.




Haha, if they only had a law school to consult. :whistle:
B
BOID
This is great. I have no sympathy for the Utes after all of their unjustified P5 snobbery. Let there be weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth over the absent letter of intent. :whistle: :crazy: :crazy: :whistle: 8)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
He is reported to be 6'2" and 250 lbs. Whitt had him targeted as a DE upon his return. Bronco may have him listed as MLB or possibly a replacement for Paul Lasike as our big bruiser RB. It is a good get regardless of Yewts denial. I believe that Bronco will lock him up when he visits on Thursday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
It sounds like he will have four years to play three, regardless of whether the LOI issue frees him up the first year. He could probably benefit from a red-shirt his first year back, anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Sounds like he got some workouts on his mission according to the article.
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
It would be a great pick-up. BYU needs to close him before other schools start getting involved to muddy the waters.



Like Sno, I have no issue with KW not releasing Langi. Bad precedent for Utah, I would do the samething.......BM should not release players to Utah either.
G
Guest
Actually, by not releasing him, especially when Bronco Mendenhall has released kids in the past, is causing a bit of chatter and resentment in the Poly community towards Utah and Whittingham. Resentment that will only grow, if this drags out.



It may end up being for our good for Whittingham to stick to his guns and not release him, in the future, any Poly who thinks he may want to go on a mission and is leaning between BYU And Utah may choose BYU from the beginning.
C
Cougarbib
When I first saw the OP, I was just going to make a wisecrack about him not being able to outrun a fat, doughnut eating police officer in high school. After reading his comments, I really admire Harvey. I think his Mom needs to try harder to get used to seeing him wear BYU Blue.
B
byufan4ever
What matters to me is what I can become in 10, 20, 30 years from now. I'm a work in progress. I believe BYU will offer me ways to grow as a person that may not happen at Utah or anywhere else.


I feel BYU will help me reach my goals — I'm not even talking about football. This may seem silly or a small thing, but before my mission, I always wore my hair long. I look forward to standards that will require me to be clean-shaven and wear my hair short.
N
NDCougar
hawkwing wrote:
Actually, by not releasing him, especially when Bronco Mendenhall has released kids in the past, is causing a bit of chatter and resentment in the Poly community towards Utah and Whittingham. Resentment that will only grow, if this drags out.



It may end up being for our good for Whittingham to stick to his guns and not release him, in the future, any Poly who thinks he may want to go on a mission and is leaning between BYU And Utah may choose BYU from the beginning.


Could be good for us. I am not sure BM should release anyone to Utah and hard to pick and choose who you allow to leave. If someone leaves to Wyoming I could careless if we release the player, but anyone we will face during the players eligibility timeframe I would tend to not release or not release to any in state team.



If I were KW I would request a face to face with Langi and parents. If they made a good case and did not like my case to stay on campus I would let him go.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I think that BM should always release players if they want to leave no matter where they want to go.



I agree with Boid. I think that him red shirting is not a bad idea. he looked pretty raw his freshman year. I think a year of practice and watching film and learning form the upperclassman would do him a lot of good. that said, if he is cleared i am sure Bronco will play him. the question is on what side of the ball he will be playing.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
Actually, by not releasing him, especially when Bronco Mendenhall has released kids in the past, is causing a bit of chatter and resentment in the Poly community towards Utah and Whittingham. Resentment that will only grow, if this drags out.



It may end up being for our good for Whittingham to stick to his guns and not release him, in the future, any Poly who thinks he may want to go on a mission and is leaning between BYU And Utah may choose BYU from the beginning.


I agree Hawk. articles like these http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=30624048&nid=294&title=opinion-let-harvey-go-utah-let-harvey-go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are why witt will release him.
S
Stirfry
NDCougar wrote:

Like Sno, I have no issue with KW not releasing Langi. Bad precedent for Utah, I would do the samething.......BM should not release players to Utah either.


Vai said this morning that KW, Tom Holmoe, and Vai were all contacted a month ago so all of the parties have known this was coming. It suprises me KW had what appeared to be a knee jerk reaction when Vai talked to him this week when he said "As far as I'm concerned, he's a Ute," he told me. "I'm not releasing him." http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865606467/Harvey-Langi-hopes-to-transfer-from-Utah-to-BYU-after-returning-from-LDS-mission-this-week.html



I don't mind a coach saying I'm not realising you if you've locked up a scholorship through recruiting season and then ask to be released. If the player doesn't give you adequate time replace him you shouldn't have to release them but it's just bad P.R. to act like he's a Ute and Im not letting him leave. You would think with a month warning KW would say something more like "I think after we are able to sit down with Harvey he'll realize he can still accomplish all of his goals as a Ute."



Why look defiant and like you don't have the kids best interest in mind? Harvey's mom wants him to stay at the U but maybe when she sees that KW appears to not have any interest in Harvey's interest she'll change her tune.
B
BoiseBYU
Compare Whit to Bronco who released Pritchard who's at OregonState now, yes? I get that Utah fans says this is different because BYU and Utah are rivals, but you can't have it both ways--you cannot say we are rivals and then refuse to schedule us....
C
CrimsonCoug
Bronco's policy of always releasing kids if they want to be released, without restrictions, gives unparalleled credibility to his view that his top priority is the student-athletes...as it should be.

It'd be sad to see Whit play hard ball on this, but would only benefit BYU: deteriorates the relationship with the poly community, and by making KW look like a jackass, it proves Harvey's point: being at the U can change otherwise good men into being something less than their best.

All that anti-BYU stuff he'll hear in the next day or so will sound a lot like the sloppy anti-Mormon rhetoric he heard as a missionary in Florida. Elder Langi has the Spirit and is a man; he'll make the right choice, even if he does have to sit out a year. In fact, that may be the best outcome for BYU and him. A year out would tar Whit with his own brush and would help Langi knock off any post-mission rust and help him hang onto the ball a bit better (he did have at least one fumble, though the ball went out of bounds).



Last thought: some have said that he stunk his first year. The KSL article called it disappointing. But 70 yards on 13 carries yields a 5.3 ypc average--pretty darn good.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.