SpiffCoug wrote:
A very important point - actually - a critical point in these recent polls is - Obama has lost the Independents. Obama is sunk without them. The great awakening is occurring.
I hope so.
I wonder if the Senate is taken back by the GOP, if the next set of Democratic Senators coming up for reelection in 2016 will basically declare a silent war on Obama.
I could see Obama being ousted from the presidency if the GOP wins the Senate. He knows right now that that he is untouchable because of the top cover Sen. Reid is providing right now. But if he's not the majority leader, I think all bets are off.
Dem Senators facing re-election bids in 2016:
Barbara Boxer, California--likely a loser as Schwarzenegger is positioning for her seat, and she only got 51% last time out against a weak field and she'll be 75 years old in '16.
Michael Bennet, Colorado--first term Senator in a swing state.
Richard Blumenthal, Delaware.
Hawaii's junior senator--identity to be determined in 2014 special election.
Barbara Mikulski, Maryland--80 years old in '16. Could be facing Dr. Ben Carson.
Harry Reid, Nevada--rumors are that Nevada's current governor Brian Sandoval may step up and unseat a vulnerable Reid.
Chuck Schumer, New York.
Ron Wyden, Oregon.
Patrick Leahy, Vermont.
Patty Murray, Washington.
So out of those, I really only see 4 as vulnerable to losing out in the 2016 election, and two of those may simply elect to retire rather than face getting pummelled by the GOP candidate and therefore remove their susceptibility to re-election pressure. I also don't think Harry Reid gives a crap.
By my reasoning, only Michael Bennet may be susceptible to swinging to the center to secure re-election.