Archived Topic

Jamaal Williams Breaks BYU Rushing Record This Year

by Cougarbib · 6/29/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Article in the box over to the right said Robert Anae guaranteed it. Dick Harmon said Anae mixed no words. Did he mean to say "minced"? I digress.



Williams is a junior. Unga set the record as a junior before missing out on his junior year.



Perhaps Anae actually "is the guy". He blocked for a BYU great RB - Lakei Heimuli - before coaching Curtiss Brown and Harvey Unga at BYU and the number 1 rusher in the nation Ka'deem Carey - at Arizona.



Well - huge expectations have been set. Anae put a stake in the ground. It will require JW to average over 100 yards per game in 2014. Of course, Chris B joked in the reader comments that BYU fans should already be afraid that JW will follow in Unga's footsteps and be booted for his senior year. If JW plays 4 years, the BYU rushing record will be shattered. Can BYU fans get behind a big time rushing game?



Implications:



Anae is more confident in the OL, expects speedy receivers to stretch defenses, knows Hill's legs will keep defenders honest, thinks Hill will hit speedy receivers often enough to keep defenses honest, and recognizes that SOS in 2014 will be more forgiving.



JW acknowledged that he and the OL played tentative to start 2013 but will be confident starting 2014. He let out the secret that Mendenhall worked directly with the OL to toughen them up and they are mean.



Hype springs eternal in summer, but this particular hype gives me hope.
D
Ddawg
Whaaat? Talking about American football during World Cup? ;) :whistle:

(Actually, World Cup bores me to tears. I think they are setting a record for the biggest collection of flopping, whining, drama queen, cry baby biting athletes the world has ever seen.)



I'm excited for the Coug season to get started. I think year 2 of the Anae and "Two-jay" team will see big offensive improvement.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes, hype springs eternal this time of year. So does desperation--and im growing more desperate for quality topics/threads (no offense to anyone whos trying to prime the pump).

So, while its easy to buy this hype--and i really dont like coaches declaring this kind of crap, te fundamentals are all in place to make this happen. notwithstanding, there have only been what, three 1,500 yard rushers in BYu history?

Baby J and Taysom are likely to canibalize each other's scantly available national Heisman attention. but thats a good problem to helping keep both for the following year--selfish as that sounds.
S
Stirfry
If it keeps Taysom from running as often I'm all for it.
C
CrimsonCoug
Stirfry wrote:
If it keeps Taysom from running as often I'm all for it.


According to Anae on the State of the Program hour on media day, Taysom "probably should have run it more" during the Washington game. That was in response to the question from McCann of whether T ran too much, and also probably partially in response to T's own assertion after the game that having a running QB makes it too easy for the OC to call the QB keeper over and over in the game.



This makes me seriously question Anae--I think he said it out of pride and being his typically prickly, overly-sensitive, defensive self. But if he means it, I'm worried. Have you ever heard the guy own up to anything as a mistake? Sure is hard to think he can learn from success if you can't even learn from mistakes.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Let's get some real numbers out there.



There has been one 1,500 yard rusher in BYU history, Luke Staley at 1,588. No one else has even broke 1,400.



Jamaal is at 2,008 yards. The record is 3,455. So he needs 1,448 yards to break the record.



Jamaal last year finished with 1,233. That includes several missed halves and games.



He had as many carries as Taysom last year, and kept his ypc, he'd have finished with 1,402 yards. I think it very possible, although I'm not sure how probable, that Jamaal can break the career yardarge mark.



I wouldn't even put the season mark out of reach, if they actually run him as much is being sold right now.
C
Cougs_Rule
CrimsonCoug wrote:
If it keeps Taysom from running as often I'm all for it.


According to Anae on the State of the Program hour on media day, Taysom "probably should have run it more" during the Washington game. That was in response to the question from McCann of whether T ran too much, and also probably partially in response to T's own assertion after the game that having a running QB makes it too easy for the OC to call the QB keeper over and over in the game.



This makes me seriously question Anae--I think he said it out of pride and being his typically prickly, overly-sensitive, defensive self. But if he means it, I'm worried. Have you ever heard the guy own up to anything as a mistake? Sure is hard to think he can learn from success if you can't even learn from mistakes.


He is not great at it, but I have heard him own stuff.

However, what remains to be seen is whether or not he canget out of his tunnel vision, rutty and stubborn, sometimes predictable play calling.
Y
YNot
SpiffCoug wrote:
He had as many carries as Taysom last year, and kept his ypc, he'd have finished with 1,402 yards. I think it very possible, although I'm not sure how probable, that Jamaal can break the career yardarge mark.



I wouldn't even put the season mark out of reach, if they actually run him as much is being sold right now.


As Spiff alluded, 2013 JW could have reached over 1,400 yards with just one more game (he missed the MTSU game) and 1 extra carry in each of the other games (assuming JW's average performance was reached by those extra carries).



The oline is predicted to excel and JW will be improved - so that should help, if nothing more than durability to get the additional carries. But also, the 2014 schedule will play a big part in breaking the record.



In 2013, JW went up against four top-25 rush defenses (Wisconsin - #6, Georgia Tech - #9, Utah St. - #10, and Utah- #21). JW averaged about 70 yards in those four games. He averaged about 120 yards in all other games played. (Also, in the MTSU game that JW missed, BYU rushed for over 300 yards as a team).



So, we will likely see more games in 2014 where JW is at the 120+ yards/game average not only because the offense and JW have improved, but also because we're playing UNLV and California instead of Wisconsin and Georgia Tech.



120 yards per game gets JW comfortably over 1,400 yards over 13 games. Injury and missed playing time might be the only thing that prevents the record from falling in 2014.
C
CrimsonCoug
JW also missed the 2nd half of the Houston game after having a strong first half.



The difference between JW and Staley will be pace. No way in Hades that babyJ approaches Luke's ypc (8.4 or something ridiculous like that his Jr year!!), but b/c Anae runs so many more plays, JW's ypg might get closer.
F
frdbtr
CrimsonCoug wrote:
If it keeps Taysom from running as often I'm all for it.


According to Anae on the State of the Program hour on media day, Taysom "probably should have run it more" during the Washington game. That was in response to the question from McCann of whether T ran too much, and also probably partially in response to T's own assertion after the game that having a running QB makes it too easy for the OC to call the QB keeper over and over in the game.



This makes me seriously question Anae--I think he said it out of pride and being his typically prickly, overly-sensitive, defensive self. But if he means it, I'm worried. Have you ever heard the guy own up to anything as a mistake? Sure is hard to think he can learn from success if you can't even learn from mistakes.


I didn't hear the question being "did Taysom run too much in the Washington game", the Question was "Did Taysom run too much LAST YEAR". Anae jokingly answered, "maybe we should have ran him more" meaning maybe we would have won more games if we had run Taysom more than we did last year. I love it when stuff gets mis reported since the spin the media has been giving this comment is that Anae seriously said what he said but in reality he said it in order to get a laugh from the crowd.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
If it keeps Taysom from running as often I'm all for it.


According to Anae on the State of the Program hour on media day, Taysom "probably should have run it more" during the Washington game. That was in response to the question from McCann of whether T ran too much, and also probably partially in response to T's own assertion after the game that having a running QB makes it too easy for the OC to call the QB keeper over and over in the game.



This makes me seriously question Anae--I think he said it out of pride and being his typically prickly, overly-sensitive, defensive self. But if he means it, I'm worried. Have you ever heard the guy own up to anything as a mistake? Sure is hard to think he can learn from success if you can't even learn from mistakes.


He is not great at it, but I have heard him own stuff.

However, what remains to be seen is whether or not he canget out of his tunnel vision, rutty and stubborn, sometimes predictable play calling.


Anae's good at some things, decent at some things, and frustrating at other things. Play calling, discerning when something needs to change even (especially) when someone else suggested it--kinda relates to honesty and candor and that's something I really like about Bronco, and clock management. On that last one, how many times has he mismanaged the game play that made you scratch your head. Here's a few off the top of my head:

UCLA before half time in the Las Vegas Bowl--rather than taking a knee to run out the clock, he goes run, we fumble, they score. HUGE momentum shift.

UCLA, first time around that year (2008?). We're marching down the field at the end of the first half, but don't call any timeouts. Time expired and we had nothing to show for it but 3 timeouts, as sparkly and new as when we got them at the beginning of the game.

Houston last year. After Alani Fua's big interception with a minute left after we had just gone up by 1, Anae knows we have to make a first down to run out the clock (good). So he calls a slant pattern to the sideline just across the marker; we get the first down and are pushed out of bounds (bad). Only 4 seconds gone off the clock (worse). Then we call the victory formation on first down--except Houston still has 2 time outs left and calls one (Worse). So after starting the series by taking a knee, he calls a QB draw up the middle on 2nd and 12, then again on 3rd and 5. Fortunately, Hill gets the first down and at that point is able to run out the clock with one more play. But going victory followed by two run plays for your battered QB just doesn't seem too bright to me.

That said, I'm sure that if people looked at my job performance with the same level of scrutiny, I'd come up short, too. That said, Dr Anae gets paid a fair amount more than I do.

Sorry; Don't mean to sabotage the thread. This has been simmering with me for a while now.
C
Cougs_Rule
Well then to bring it back to the topic, yes, I think there is a concern that and I could get to fixated on JW; partly out of concern for tase him and decreasing his rushing attempts, but also has to come out of his confidence in the offense of line. He does like mean, he has been trying to get his players mean, he was mean as an o-lineman himself; and he was coached by the meanest sob oline coach ever at BYU--Roger French.

With Broncos input and involvement, and 2Js constant screaming and badgering; and Mr. Anaes toughness and a good number of returning players, I think he knows something about this oline that will soon become apparent to college football, this record is certainly within grasp. But as the stats show only one running back in BYU history has attained that many yards.
U
urroner
Ddawg wrote:
Whaaat? Talking about American football during World Cup? ;) :whistle:

(Actually, World Cup bores me to tears. I think they are setting a record for the biggest collection of flopping, whining, drama queen, cry baby biting athletes the world has ever seen.)



I'm excited for the Coug season to get started. I think year 2 of the Anae and "Two-jay" team will see big offensive improvement.


http://i.imgur.com/AB91F.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
That is funny - and TRUE. :lol:



(BTW - I do hope the U.S. Soccer team wins today. But, I cannot sit and watch the World Cup. 1st, I am too busy. 2nd, It would make me an alcoholic. I would have to drink gallons of devil brew to numb myself and sit and watch the sissy girly men flop and whine endlessly.



Go USA! Go Cougs!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.