Archived Topic

All Poly Camp - Alema Teo

by Cougarbib · 6/22/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Does it worry any of us besides me that Alema Teo - founder of the All Poly Camp - is the Uncle of Manti Teo and related to two other former BYU athletes that did not leave BYU gracefully.



Edit: The kid he rated as MVP this year at the camp is from Brighton and he compared him to Manti Teo.



I hope BYU has not burned this bridge.
B
byucougar1
Who is the football player that he named camp MVP and is he being recruited by BYU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Yes, it bothers me.



1. It will bother me less when KWhitt gets fired this year and they hire some white guy that no one in Utah knows.



(there are a lot of poly families that are very tight with Kyle)



2. It will bother me a lot more when KWhitt gets fired and they hire a poly head coach



I know enough about Brian Teo and how Shiloah and Manti treated their visits at BYU to not trust any of that clan.



The common denominator is that Kyle is going to get fired this year. I do not see how they get bowl eligible considering their schedule and current roster.



http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/254/utah-utes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Who is the football player that he named camp MVP and is he being recruited by BYU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Osa Masina - linebacker - Brighton High School.



They named the best players for each position for the camp. He was not originally expected to participate, but was a surprise addition and named as best at one of the linebacker positions. Then Teo singled him out in his comments as being the most impressive player at the camp and compared him to Manti Teo.



It did not indicate whether BYU is recruiting him.
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
Yes, it bothers me.



1. It will bother me less when KWhitt gets fired this year and they hire some white guy that no one in Utah knows.



(there are a lot of poly families that are very tight with Kyle)



2. It will bother me a lot more when KWhitt gets fired and they hire a poly head coach



I know enough about Brian Teo and how Shiloah and Manti treated their visits at BYU to not trust any of that clan.



The common denominator is that Kyle is going to get fired this year. I do not see how they get bowl eligible considering their schedule and current roster.



http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/254/utah-utes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I am not sure whether Kyle will get fired, but I agree that Ute fans will be sitting home watching BYU enjoy some national hype, excitement about 2015, and playing in a bowl game while Utah endures another losing season. Utah might start strong and could go 3-1 early, but then lose 6 in a row and end up 5-7 at best. Possibly worse. I am just not sure Utah can hire a better coach - at least not a proven P5 head coach. But, yeah, they might just be ready to try to find the next Urban Meyer at a mid major or promote a P5 coordinator. It could happen this year.



But, I also worry in that instead of a pipeline tunneling the best Poly players to BYU, the emphasis has been to engage national powerhouse programs and steer players there.



Okie, USC, Wisconsin, Washington, Boise State, etc., we're there this year along with Kyle and Bronco.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
He announced via twitter that his top eight schools in no order of preference are Arizona State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah and Wisconsin.



Last summer Masina visited Arizona State, Stanford, UCLA and USC. During his recent spring break, he visited Michigan, Notre Dame and Wisconsin. He also visited Utah, where his older brothers, Uaea and Lo’i, are currently on the Utah roster.



He cut schools that were recruiting him: BYU, California, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon and Washington from his list.



BYU appears to never have been in serious contention for Masina, and I doubt that the Poly Camp coordinator had anything to do with that. BYU has several coaches that help with the camp including Anae, Atuaia and the WR coach. They represent well and have secured prospects as a result of their participation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
byucougar1 wrote:
He announced via twitter that his top eight schools in no order of preference are Arizona State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah and Wisconsin.



Last summer Masina visited Arizona State, Stanford, UCLA and USC. During his recent spring break, he visited Michigan, Notre Dame and Wisconsin. He also visited Utah, where his older brothers, Uaea and Lo’i, are currently on the Utah roster.



He cut schools that were recruiting him: BYU, California, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon and Washington from his list.



BYU appears to never have been in serious contention for Masina, and I doubt that the Poly Camp coordinator had anything to do with that. BYU has several coaches that help with the camp including Anae, Atuaia and the WR coach. They represent well and have secured prospects as a result of their participation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Also remember that Alema and Mark are cousins. (As are the Tautu's and Tapusoa's.)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
Something that is going to be interesting is going to be the new head coach at Kahuku. He is from Idaho. He was very successful but I wonder if he is LDS and if so what his disposition is towArd the Y.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
imuakahuku wrote:
Something that is going to be interesting is going to be the new head coach at Kahuku. He is from Idaho. He was very successful but I wonder if he is LDS and if so what his disposition is towArd the Y.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I moved away from Hawaii in 2012. What became of the former coach? Legendary program up there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
Cougarbib wrote:
Something that is going to be interesting is going to be the new head coach at Kahuku. He is from Idaho. He was very successful but I wonder if he is LDS and if so what his disposition is towArd the Y.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I moved away from Hawaii in 2012. What became of the former coach? Legendary program up there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sorry Bib, I meant to answer this a couple of weeks ago.



The school principle left and the new principle basically fired every coach telling them to reapply for their old job. The ironic thing is that Reggie had been hinting that he had had enough and was planning on retiring ( I heard the reports every season for the past three or four years). Personally I think this should be a leap ahead for the program again. Reggie did a good job with the team but he was not known for really doing anything for the boys outside of campus. I heard reports of parents asking help to get their kid some exposure and he reportedly refused to ever call a single college coach. The response I heard was "my job is to coach the football team and that is all". I also heard a lot of the boys were upset with his release and there was talk a lot would go to private schools but I don't see that happening. Most of these kids grow up dreaming of donning the Red uni's and running out with KAHUKU on their chest. And I think if this coach comes in and inspires the families, starts helping the boys plan for life after Kahuku, and is successful on the field, he will quickly become as popular as Livai and Simmones were. I'm exicted for this change. I can't wait to see what he can do with the kids there.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Is the new coach Polynesian and does he have local ties? I hired many people while in Hawaii - mostly in Honolulu - some in Kapolei. When I hired mainland transplants without local ties - some stayed forever - some got Island fever and left after about 2 years. 50/50.



There are cultural fit issues and even stronger ones in Kahuku and La'ie. You would understand this far better than I ever could. Passive aggressive undermining of an outsider would be a very real exposure - kind of surprised they did not go with someone local.



Hopefullylocals share your excitement and give the guy a fair shot. Hopefully the new administration continues to value and invest in the athletic heritage out there.
I
imuakahuku
I believe he has no island ties to speak of. But he has heard and followed Kahuku and when he saw the opening he jumped at it. He made a good first impression. He talked about responsibility, school, higher education, family, etc. It did start a little awkward however. He took the mike and yelled "who are we?" and only a few people responded in a hushed tone. But not to be perturbed he yelled louder "who are we?" and everyone yelled back so he did a good job of getting to the audience early. It was mostly adults with some players present. Not a bad way to make a positive impression I think.



I will say that Island Fever is really tough to deal with if it hits you. But if you learn to just be happy with what is on the island (beaches, mountains, etc) its not too bad.
C
Cougarbib
imuakahuku wrote:
I believe he has no island ties to speak of. But he has heard and followed Kahuku and when he saw the opening he jumped at it. He made a good first impression. He t. ked about responsibility, school, higher education, family, etc. It did start a little awkward however. He took the mike and yelled "who are we?" and only a few people responded in a hushed tone. But not to be perturbed he yelled louder "who are we?" and everyone yelled back so he did a good job of getting to the audience early. It was mostly adults with some players present. Not a bad way to make a positive impression I think.



I will say that Island Fever is really tough to deal with if it hits you. But if you learn to just be happy with what is on the island (beaches, mountains, etc) its not too bad.


I loved it there. Stayed 10 years. My wife felt too far from family and I had to make sure I sent her home frequently. Hawaii is a wonderful place. I will never forget our time there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
FWIW Osa Masina trimmed his list down to 5. Utah didn't make the list. Also to answer an earlier question; Byu did recruit him but have not been in the running for a long time.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.