Archived Topic

Ranking the 2014 Schedule

by SpiffCoug · 6/18/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
We're in the top half of the schedule now. I for one would be very surprised if BYU lost to any of the teams we've listed so far. For this week, I'm going with the season opener - a game I'm likely going to!



Here's how the schedule looks so far:

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. ???

7. @ Cal 69%

8. @ Middle Tennesse 48%

9. vs UNLV 55%

10. vs Virginia 40%

11. vs Nevada 60%

12. vs Savannah St 96.4%
M
mizzoucoug
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.
A
ABYUFAN
mizzoucoug wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.


I get what you are saying, but I could not vote for anyone else... We destroyed Texas last year, should we choose them as our next easiest? (No) Boise State was a couple of turnovers away from being a very close game, and it was at home, we are now on the road, are they easier than UCONN? (No) Utah State is on the road, and they've played us tough quite a bit lately - can I choose them (maybe - but they were in a bowl game last year, this is the closest call...) UCF? They aren't the same team that they were last year, but they were VERRY GOOD last year and this is also on the road, (so, no they're not easier) Houston? They played us very close last year, and their QB was a freshman. This is the scariest home game for me going in to this season, so nope to this one as well.



So, again, I get what you are saying, but there are some of us that have them this high only because they are the first game of the season on the road, otherwise they'd be three or so spots lower (In the Virginia to UNLV range)
Y
YNot
The Huskies just lost their leading rusher and are coming off a poor season. But the road opener keeps this game in contention for a better ranking - not becase of the competition, but because of BYU's tendencies.



Btw, perhaps the 2014 schedule isn't as easy as many of us have thought.
M
mizzoucoug
ABYUFAN wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.


Utah State is on the road, and they've played us tough quite a bit lately - can I choose them (maybe - but they were in a bowl game last year, this is the closest call...)


USU is at home. Change your vote. ;)
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.


Utah State is on the road, and they've played us tough quite a bit lately - can I choose them (maybe - but they were in a bowl game last year, this is the closest call...)


USU is at home. Change your vote. ;)

Oops :blush: I still think we are putting UCONN 3 to 4 spots too high because of ther early season jitters
C
Cougarbib
I hate road games. I especially hate east coast, jet lagged road games. Otherwise, I would have picked UCONN in an earlier round. Gotta pick them this round. BYU will play sloppy and start slow, but win anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
Cougarbib wrote:
I hate road games. I especially hate east coast, jet lagged road games. Otherwise, I would have picked UCONN in an earlier round. Gotta pick them this round. BYU will play sloppy and start slow, but win anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




The football team should be in Connecticut a week before the game to acclimate. It's what the best west coast teams in the NFL do these days.
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.


That's sad? Really? Aside from the wrong word, cause it's not really "sad" is it--I think you meant poorly analyzed--but regardless, and not withstanding BYUs opening road game struggles, you have got to be kidding. Who did you pick? USU? USU could beat UCONN 2 out of 4 on the road mssing their leading rusher. And as for easiest, are you kidding? This poll is 6 games in. You need some reality testing.

However, You are right that BYU struggles more than they should in road openers, but you are taking this just a bit too seriously. I can tell you about "sad" things in peoples lives--and this ain't one.
S
SpiffCoug
mizzoucoug wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.

Looks like last year the UVA game was rated the 10th game in terms of difficulty.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.

Looks like last year the UVA game was rated the 10th game in terms of difficulty.


Exactly. UVA was 4-8 in 2012. Going into their house last season seemed like it'd be easy then too. I know we had a new OC and new O, but I still think people have forgotten in the offseason how hard it is to beat a team on the road especially in the opener.
S
SpiffCoug
I just think UConn won't be a tougher game than the other road games remaining. And I think the two home games remaining feature better teams as well.
R
redneckjedi
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Again with the road game right off the bat. Astonishing. Spiff, did you do these polls last year? If so, where did the UVA game end up on that list? I don't get how fans can look at what happened @ Ole Miss, @ UVA, and @ so many other first weekend road games and think it'll be easy. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect many are just looking at records and voting. That's sad.

Looks like last year the UVA game was rated the 10th game in terms of difficulty.


Exactly. UVA was 4-8 in 2012. Going into their house last season seemed like it'd be easy then too. I know we had a new OC and new O, but I still think people have forgotten in the offseason how hard it is to beat a team on the road especially in the opener.


I'm pretty sure with a dry football 1) we don't get that punt blocked, 2) Jamaal Williams catches that pass, and 3) they don't score their two TDs, and we win by two scores. With a new OC and a raw QB, we went on the road to the east coast and outplayed a bad team. We only lost because of a couple of fluky, weather-influenced plays. Now we are more experienced, and unless UConn has developed some kind of weather control device, we probably won't get the same weather-related bad luck. This game goes much better for us than Virginia did.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.