Archived Topic

Jake Toolson back from mission

by scott715 · 6/14/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I feel for the kid. Makes me wonder if he claimed it on his app, but none of our business, I guess. Good advice by his family to tweet out that statement.

I hope he redshirts to save the years these special classes can play together.
D
Ddawg
I'm glad the issue was caught and dealt with before too much time had passed. If left untreated, the constant anxiety can cause physical problems with serious consequences. My heart goes out to Jake and his family. I hope it all works out well, and he gets it under control and managed. It's a big challenge.
M
Mars


I wonder if he tried medication. Not that it's my business, but I do wonder. It can definitely help.
U
urroner
I have a son who left on his mission and he came back a little over two weeks later due to "separation" anxiety. A lot of people didn't understand the problem, but nobody gave him any grief for it other than his dad. Gratefully, my son understood his dad and knew that his dad knew exactly what it was, because he had gone through severe depression.



Marcus got up in his "homecoming" talk in church and said "Those were the best two weeks of my life."



He was upset, because he really wanted to go on a mission and serve for two years. He even had a GA tell him that he had served an honorable mission, that he did the best he could and that if he tried staying out in the mission any longer, it could really mess him up mentally and physically. The GA told him the Lord had other plans for him.



That talk with the GA helped a little, but he still felt guilty.



Fast forward one year, he's sealed in the temple in Australia.



In another two years, he's 23, just had a baby, and a week after having the baby, he's called to be the second counselor in the bishopric. The Church asked his wife before even talking with him.



Two years later, just after having the second child, he's called to be the first counselor. He called me up and said that he had wished the Lord had kept him on his mission. He hates having to go to old man's priesthood quorum when he's the youngest by twenty years.



It used to bother him about having to come home so early, but he doesn't even give it a second thought. He says that he went on a mission and came home when it was done.



I really hope that Toolson has the same positive experience. Of course, I'm not trying to curse him by making him a high priest when he's 23.
Advertisement
G
Guest
He was willing and able to serve for the duration he could. No dishonor if that time frame is different from someone elses.
C
craigoscarson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTWsThGhKo



averaged nearly 30 pts and 14 rebounds a game last year in high school...

The kid can play and we have to find a way to keep him at BYU just in case he ends up as good as his cousin who we didn't offer and led the nation in scoring at UVU.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jake-toolson/CN4OP_TnEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbQQ-IBnsAI
N
nuk13
I surely think we'd do all we can to help him and get him here. Can someone reveal how we missed Ryan?
C
Cougs_Rule
Why would he not stay at BYU?
B
beauso79
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Why would he not stay at BYU?


If he ends up having to pay his own way at BYU for a year or two and another team, like say Gonzaga, offers him an immediate offer upon arrival. If this is the case you might have to pull an offer from Sharp or Halford to keep him at BYU.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
1. BYU didn't recruit Ryan .. course neither did 300 or so other schools... boy did he make them all regret it



2. I don't anticipate that Jake will go anywhere else. His uncle is Danny Ainge, and BYU tuition is cheap (hey Uncle Danny, want to spot me $10k? It's what you make in a day...)... but it was unexpected and BYU has no available scholarships... I would hope he would come, but I can see arguments for going somewhere he might be able to receive a scholarship asap.
B
Brayden Green
Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.



Anyone that has served a mission honorably knows that it is one of the hardest things a person will ever do in their life. I remember moments during the mission that nearly crushed me, and I'm a pretty easy going person (although the board might not see that side).



Nothing but love for him, and I hope he remains a Cougar and more importantly, I hope that he is able to move on and have a happy productive life.
B
byufan4ever
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.



Anyone that has served a mission honorably knows that it is one of the hardest things a person will ever do in their life. I remember moments during the mission that nearly crushed me, and I'm a pretty easy going person (although the board might not see that side).



Nothing but love for him, and I hope he remains a Cougar and more importantly, I hope that he is able to move on and have a happy productive life.


You're right that going on a mission at age 18 instead of 19 is huge. I'm in the YM presidency in my ward and I've been talking with both the youth and the parents about why it's such a big deal. By going to college for a year first I learned how to live away from home, be independent, learn how to cook, manage money, etc. The YM now have to learn all of that by the time they graduate form HS. Many YM have never been away from home for longer than Scout camp and some have never been out of state...so, yeah, it's a huge change.
G
Gunk
byufan4ever wrote:
Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.



Anyone that has served a mission honorably knows that it is one of the hardest things a person will ever do in their life. I remember moments during the mission that nearly crushed me, and I'm a pretty easy going person (although the board might not see that side).



Nothing but love for him, and I hope he remains a Cougar and more importantly, I hope that he is able to move on and have a happy productive life.


You're right that going on a mission at age 18 instead of 19 is huge. I'm in the YM presidency in my ward and I've been talking with both the youth and the parents about why it's such a big deal. By going to college for a year first I learned how to live away from home, be independent, learn how to cook, manage money, etc. The YM now have to learn all of that by the time they graduate form HS. Many YM have never been away from home for longer than Scout camp and some have never been out of state...so, yeah, it's a huge change.


Big big shift. Even though I was 19 when I graduated from high school, I still went to school for a year first because I wanted that year away from home before jumping into the field. Many thought I entered the field at 20 because I broke the law of chastity (not true) but despite the chiding I found it well worth waiting for me.
B
Brayden Green
Gunk wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.



Anyone that has served a mission honorably knows that it is one of the hardest things a person will ever do in their life. I remember moments during the mission that nearly crushed me, and I'm a pretty easy going person (although the board might not see that side).



Nothing but love for him, and I hope he remains a Cougar and more importantly, I hope that he is able to move on and have a happy productive life.


You're right that going on a mission at age 18 instead of 19 is huge. I'm in the YM presidency in my ward and I've been talking with both the youth and the parents about why it's such a big deal. By going to college for a year first I learned how to live away from home, be independent, learn how to cook, manage money, etc. The YM now have to learn all of that by the time they graduate form HS. Many YM have never been away from home for longer than Scout camp and some have never been out of state...so, yeah, it's a huge change.


Big big shift. Even though I was 19 when I graduated from high school, I still went to school for a year first because I wanted that year away from home before jumping into the field. Many thought I entered the field at 20 because I broke the law of chastity (not true) but despite the chiding I found it well worth waiting for me.


Good for you. I hope you got that chastizing problem under control ;)
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Toolson tweeted he was liking his new home in Provo so it sounds like he'll be at BYU this fall
B
BYULV
beauso79 wrote:
Toolson tweeted he was liking his new home in Provo so it sounds like he'll be at BYU this fall


. . . Or UVU :whistle:
B
Brayden Green
Recent posts brought me back. 7 down votes above? Not big fans of wordplay around here?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
I think the Brethren made it clear when the announcement was made that young men "may" serve at 18. 18 isn't right for all young men. As a seminary teacher two years ago, I had some young men who were obviously ready do go right out of High School. For others, it was a good idea to go to school for a year before a mission. Fortunately, all made the right decision, and they are all serving now.



I'm glad I had that year away to start with. It helped me get used to being a little more independent.
M
mizzoucoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Recent posts brought me back. 7 down votes above? Not big fans of wordplay around here?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Cowards.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.