Archived Topic

Peoples Gone

by scott715 · 6/10/2014

Advertisement
S
scott715
According to Gurney on Twitter.
S
steelers12
byu just gave permission to look for other scholarship opportunities. not gone yet. will see what happens.
D
Ddawg
The #1 requirement for any BYU athlete is - ya gotta want to be there. If you lose that desire, it's tough to fake it. It just doesn't work.



Hopefully JonRyheem gets it worked out. Like to see him stick around. If not - good luck.
C
CrimsonCoug
He couldn't live up to his weight and academic commitments, so his financing got pulled. No money, no honey (badger).



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/58058789-65/peoples-byu-mendenhall-says.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Still seems a bit lame of him--he wasn't kicked off of the team; BYU is an incredibly cheap place to go to school and Provo's a pretty cheap place to live. Everyone else in the world takes out student loans--and FAFSA would cover everything he'd need. Plus, if he's engaged and his wife's going to school, she could work part time to help make ends meet.



And I don't understand the tonsillectomy story--I've had one (though when I was small) and recovery time is about 10 days while your food intake takes a big hit--obviously--because it hurts to swallow. But there's nothing that would keep you from working out for more than a day, so long as you had some extra strength tylenol. You could still do a lot of cardio to get the weight down. Seems like a tonsillectomy would, in fact, have been a great way for Peoples to meet his goals.



If he really wanted it, he could make it work. That said, if he really wanted it, he could have made things work.



This is disappointing--partly for the team, but mostly for him.

And I'd be shocked if Utah offered him! No way that happens.
S
Stirfry
CrimsonCoug wrote:
He couldn't live up to his weight and academic commitments, so his financing got pulled. No money, no honey (badger).



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/58058789-65/peoples-byu-mendenhall-says.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Still seems a bit lame of him--he wasn't kicked off of the team; BYU is an incredibly cheap place to go to school and Provo's a pretty cheap place to live. Everyone else in the world takes out student loans--and FAFSA would cover everything he'd need. Plus, if he's engaged and his wife's going to school, she could work part time to help make ends meet.



And I don't understand the tonsillectomy story--I've had one (though when I was small) and recovery time is about 10 days while your food intake takes a big hit--obviously--because it hurts to swallow. But there's nothing that would keep you from working out for more than a day, so long as you had some extra strength tylenol. You could still do a lot of cardio to get the weight down. Seems like a tonsillectomy would, in fact, have been a great way for Peoples to meet his goals.



If he really wanted it, he could make it work. That said, if he really wanted it, he could have made things work.



This is disappointing--partly for the team, but mostly for him.

And I'd be shocked if Utah offered him! No way that happens.




I think a tonsillectomy is way worse when you're older. My 35 y.o. sister just did it and she was out fo 2-3 weeks and said she'd rather have a baby every day for 2-3 weeks instead of go through that. A co-worker I have had a similar experiance.



However, they both lost a bunch of weight because they couldn't eat for 2 weeks......
Advertisement
F
Fido
Too bad things don't always work out. For every KVN story I'll bet there are lots of Peoples stories.
G
Gunk
Stirfry wrote:
He couldn't live up to his weight and academic commitments, so his financing got pulled. No money, no honey (badger).



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/58058789-65/peoples-byu-mendenhall-says.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Still seems a bit lame of him--he wasn't kicked off of the team; BYU is an incredibly cheap place to go to school and Provo's a pretty cheap place to live. Everyone else in the world takes out student loans--and FAFSA would cover everything he'd need. Plus, if he's engaged and his wife's going to school, she could work part time to help make ends meet.



And I don't understand the tonsillectomy story--I've had one (though when I was small) and recovery time is about 10 days while your food intake takes a big hit--obviously--because it hurts to swallow. But there's nothing that would keep you from working out for more than a day, so long as you had some extra strength tylenol. You could still do a lot of cardio to get the weight down. Seems like a tonsillectomy would, in fact, have been a great way for Peoples to meet his goals.



If he really wanted it, he could make it work. That said, if he really wanted it, he could have made things work.



This is disappointing--partly for the team, but mostly for him.

And I'd be shocked if Utah offered him! No way that happens.




I think a tonsillectomy is way worse when you're older. My 35 y.o. sister just did it and she was out fo 2-3 weeks and said she'd rather have a baby every day for 2-3 weeks instead of go through that. A co-worker I have had a similar experiance.



However, they both lost a bunch of weight because they couldn't eat for 2 weeks......


My wife had a tonsillectomy a few years after we got married. I think she was in her late 20s. It sucked. Probably took her a week or so to get back up and going. A good month till she was full steam.



She would rather have a tonsillectomy than a baby, though.
C
craigoscarson
Let's be honest, there are guys that simply aren't ever going to be starters or contributors and Bronco has found a way to weed them out, whether it was not enough talent, grades, or honor code casualties. This is what big time programs do, and what even Lavell and of course Crowton failed to do when they were least successful.



(Jason Kukahiko is the guy that I always think about that got 5 years of scholarship (redshirt) and actually played a little (because our receivers were not great from 2001-2004 Chris Hale, David Christensen, Rod Wilkerson, Ryan Slater, and Toby Christensen for example), but at no point was he worth more than his scholarship (you can argue others above weren't either).... a scholarship that could have gone elsewhere... this is where I like juco players even if they're risky, they only take up 2 years of scholarship and sometimes really deliver, but you're not stuck for 4-5 years with a lost scholarship)



Billy Green, Blair Tushaus, The Pritchard boys, Peoples, were either not good enough, or didn't fit our current schemes.



Peoples was never going to play in front of Tuiloma or Rowley (the future of the interior Dline) because they are smart, disciplined, know how to use their leverage and are experienced.



Also if any of you have followed Peoples on twitter or facebook, you'll see a guy that quite obviously did not attempt to fit in at BYU and wasn't going to class. In high school you can be the lazy big top notch athlete but in college, you can't succeed without a work ethic and at BYU you also have to be a fit for the honor code.



In spite of this, Bronco gave the kid a chance and he didn't meet the expectations.....
S
snoscythe
Confirmed today that Peoples has transferred to Idaho State.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I've been meaning to express my being bummed out that Peoples is gone. I mean, he was gigantic. Apparently, a little too much, sort of..
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
I've been meaning to express my being bummed out that Peoples is gone. I mean, he was gigantic. Apparently, a little too much, sort of..


His last name is Peoples and not People after all... ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.