Archived Topic

Ranking the 2014 Schedule

by SpiffCoug · 6/9/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Another poll in the books. This week we saw the first road game enter the poll.



I'm sticking with the same vote I've had for three straight weeks - at Cal. I just don't care how much "talent" a 1-11 team has. If you win just one game, you're a bad team and one year just isn't enough to turn things around. Not in the PAC-12, where if you're a bad, you have five or six garaunteed losses and there's just no time to gain confidence.



I think BYU is going to be very good in 2014 and will make Cal look silly.



Here's how the schedule looks so far:

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. ???

7. ???

8. @ Middle Tennesse 48%

9. vs UNLV 55%

10. vs Virginia 40%

11. vs Nevada 60%

12. vs Savannah St 96.4%
W
Wolverine
SpiffCoug wrote:
Another poll in the books. This week we saw the first road game enter the poll.



I'm sticking with the same vote I've had for three straight weeks - at Cal. I just don't care how much "talent" a 1-11 team has. If you win just one game, you're a bad team and one year just isn't enough to turn things around. Not in the PAC-12, where if you're a bad, you have five or six garaunteed losses and there's just no time to gain confidence.



I think BYU is going to be very good in 2014 and will make Cal look silly.



Here's how the schedule looks so far:

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. ???

7. ???

8. @ Middle Tennesse 48%

9. vs UNLV 55%

10. vs Virginia 40%

11. vs Nevada 60%

12. vs Savannah St 96.4%

This looks like your week to finally be right ;)
S
Stirfry
mizzoucoug wrote:
I honor of mizzoucoug I went with Cal again :P


Im pulling out my remaining hairs on this poll. We couldn't walk into Virginia or Nevada last year and "easily" smoke them. What's going to happen when we walk into a team with top 40 recruiting classes every season?



MIddle Tennessee and it's not even close.


http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80567619/



Cal's off to a 7-0 lead!
C
Cougs_Rule
If a 1-11 Cal is our 6th easiest game count on 6 blowouts. But since Cal is so much easier than MTSU (pollsters are flat out wrong) that's just fine. Can't always determine what Big conference teams are going to be in a down cycle. Not THs fault or credit.

CAL.

And UCONN aint far behind with there only Offensive star RB out.
C
Cougarbib
Cal should have bee chosen earlier. Pick Em now.



Pick UCONN next.



Gonna start to get interesting after that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Again, wow. BYU will handle USU at home. Why? Because it's a home game and we always beat them. At this point, I don't think that any remaining games are very "easy," but as far sure things go, USU is it. Most teams have little chance at beating us at home. I'm very shocked by the confidence of so many that we'll walk into anyone's stadium and get a W. How soon we forget UW (2011?), UVA, UofH, FSU, UNR, etc.



The only argument I can see for Cal is that playing us at the end of another bad season may kill their motivation. When we play teams in the first game of the year there's still hope, which is why UConn worries me.
N
NDCougar
CAL should have been gone a few picks ago. They are bad, 1-11 is bad no matter the conference. Funny how much weight we put on conference affiliation, yet we don't want to be judged by our conference (or lack there of).
B
byufan4ever
Not having looked at the details, I think that Cal can bounce back from a bad season faster than UConn can...
C
Cougarbib
byufan4ever wrote:
Not having looked at the details, I think that Cal can bounce back from a bad season faster than UConn can...


Here are some details not discussed yet - UCONN finished 2013 strong. 3-0 iirc. CAL was not even competitive in its games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
Not having looked at the details, I think that Cal can bounce back from a bad season faster than UConn can...


Here are some details not discussed yet - UCONN finished 2013 strong. 3-0 iirc. CAL was not even competitive in its games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I guess when you start 0-9 you have find your silver linings somehow.
Advertisement
S
scott715
They fired their coach midseason. The new one did a good job to win the last 3 games. I expect them to win more than 3 this year. You knows what Cal will do this year. I wonder if Ragin wishes he had came to the Y?
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
They fired their coach midseason. The new one did a good job to win the last 3 games. I expect them to win more than 3 this year. You knows what Cal will do this year. I wonder if Ragin wishes he had came to the Y?


Michigan, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF, and SMU were 5 of their losses. Early, they lost to teams like Towson State and Buffalo and USF. They improved, but had Cinci, Louisville, UCF, and SMU right in a row. After those losses, they won the last 3 vs teams like Rutgers, etc.



Not a great team. Not a good team. A poor team improving.



CAL was not even competitive in their 11 losses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Their last three wins were Rutgers, Temple and Memphis. The Rutgers win is actually fairly decent, but Temple and Memphis combined to win five games. Those two games featured two bad teams.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Their last three wins were Rutgers, Temple and Memphis. The Rutgers win is actually fairly decent, but Temple and Memphis combined to win five games. Those two games featured two bad teams.


Rutgers did have a 6-7 record, but the closest thing they had to a quality win was about 55-52 over an SMU team with a losing record in OT. Three of the other 5 wins were Eastern Michigan and another even more forgettable opponent and a bad Arkansas team in NJ. Throw in USA and a squeaker over Temple and BAM. Not as good as 6-7 implies.



Their 2-5 AAC record is the best measure.



I think all three of those UCONN wins to close out the season were facilitated by playing very beatable opponents.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.