Archived Topic

Bronco in Austin, TX?

by scott715 · 6/6/2014

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/college-football/byus-mendenhall-we-would-love-to-be-in-the-big-12/ngFdn/?icmp=statesman_internallink_textlink_apr2013_statesmanstubtomystatesman_launch#56202357.3703420.735389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



BYU’s Mendenhall: ‘We would love to be in the Big 12’



Also UCLA announcement today. Big12 is meeting.



Rumors have started about P12 and Big12 could be fighting over us. Neither one wants us but they don't want us going to the other side. They like us being available in case they change their mind.



http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/byus-mendenhall-welcomes-a-big-12-invite-if-only-it-would-be-extended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
Cougs_Rule
This would be an interesting poll. What would fans prefer, if in fact both conferences were an option, head-to-head?
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
This would be an interesting poll. What would fans prefer, if in fact both conferences were an option, head-to-head?


My vote: PAC. Just look at the Big 12 Map and it becomes clear. And PAC, Big 10, and SEC are the 3 invincible conferences. ACC and Big 12 remain vulnerable long term.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
NDCougar
Cougarbib wrote:
This would be an interesting poll. What would fans prefer, if in fact both conferences were an option, head-to-head?


My vote: PAC. Just look at the Big 12 Map and it becomes clear. And PAC, Big 10, and SEC are the 3 invincible conferences. ACC and Big 12 remain vulnerable long term.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would prefer the Big 12. As long as TX is in the Big 12 it will not be vulnerable. TX is more profitable than any PAC school. Personally I like the passion etc for football in the Big 12 much better. Football is the king and they pack every game. Go to USC if they are not in the NC hunt and you will have open seats (Stanford could not sell out the PAC Championship game at home). Go to TX, OU, etc on a Saturday vs USC, UCLA, Stanford (Oregon is legit but small).



The Big 12 is top heavy, I do give the lower tier footbal schools the edge in the PAC (Utah, CO, AZ, WSU) vs Big (Iowa State, Kansas)



Big 12 vs PAC in basketball is debatable, although at the moment KU is clearly the leader in either conference.
C
Cougarbib
NDCougar wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
This would be an interesting poll. What would fans prefer, if in fact both conferences were an option, head-to-head?


My vote: PAC. Just look at the Big 12 Map and it becomes clear. And PAC, Big 10, and SEC are the 3 invincible conferences. ACC and Big 12 remain vulnerable long term.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would prefer the Big 12. As long as TX is in the Big 12 it will not be vulnerable. TX is more profitable than any PAC school. Personally I like the passion etc for football in the Big 12 much better. Football is the king and they pack every game. Go to USC if they are not in the NC hunt and you will have open seats (Stanford could not sell out the PAC Championship game at home). Go to TX, OU, etc on a Saturday vs USC, UCLA, Stanford (Oregon is legit but small).



The Big 12 is top heavy, I do give the lower tier footbal schools the edge in the PAC (Utah, CO, AZ, WSU) vs Big (Iowa State, Kansas)




Key Phrase: "As long as". Texas and Oklahoma have been and will be courted over time by all 4 other P5 conferences. Same for Oklahoma. If the powers that be ever decide that 64/4 = 16 teams per conference is more symmetrical than 64/5 = random - The ACC or The Big 12 will die and get dispersed. If D IV happens, realignment within it could happen. I would take Big 12 over Big Independence for sure or over Big MWC or Big AAC. But Big 10, PAC, and SEC are the real deal - P3.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
If it came to 64/4 I would guess all conferences would get blown up and reorganized, it would be such a different world that I am not sure current conference affiliations would matter.



UT and OU will stay put, it makes the most economic sense with their new TV deals and the Longhorn Network. The only change to that would happen if there is a major shift and re-alignment. If so, everyone is in for a change.



Currently P5 drive everything, the Big 12 will always be in the mix. Out of all the conferences only the SEC stakes a claim to driving the boat (on field and currently economically). Southern football will continue to drive things.
B
BroncoBot
If Mendenhall wants Big12, I want Big12.



Personally, I think BYU would be a much better fit in the big 12. the pac 12 would use every chance they got to ridicule the LDS church. And it would let BYU/utah rivalry die off a little more, which makes the utes even more irrelevant. The rivalry is about all they have going for them anymore, it's amazing they wanted to stop it.
S
Schmoe
Without a doubt, the Big XII. I think BYU fits in better as an institution with the Big XII schools, we've played great games with Texas and Oklahoma recently, and the PAC has had plenty of chances to invite us, but their bigoted school presidents decided to go after schools with smaller followings, stadiums, and less tradition and history. Frankly, screw them.
N
NDCougar
BroncoBot wrote:
If Mendenhall wants Big12, I want Big12.



Personally, I think BYU would be a much better fit in the big 12. the pac 12 would use every chance they got to ridicule the LDS church. And it would let BYU/utah rivalry die off a little more, which makes the utes even more irrelevant. The rivalry is about all they have going for them anymore, it's amazing they wanted to stop it.




Agree on the Big 12. I do think the BYU/Utah rivalry would only intensify if we were in the Big 12 (assuming they were not too ducking out of playing us). There would be the constant Big 12/PAC talk, who is better etc? It would be Big 12/PAC.
A
ABYUFAN
I would rank membership in the Big 12 to be better than membership in the Pac 12. But, I'd prefer a scheduling alliance with the Big 12 or Pac 12 (assuming that either gets us a playoff automatic qualifier position ) over membership in either in that I really really like our current WCC arrangement.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
If Mendenhall wants Big12, I want Big12.



Personally, I think BYU would be a much better fit in the big 12. the pac 12 would use every chance they got to ridicule the LDS church. And it would let BYU/utah rivalry die off a little more, which makes the utes even more irrelevant. The rivalry is about all they have going for them anymore, it's amazing they wanted to stop it.


I know the travel would be hard on our athletes and I certainly would miss out on a lot of games (I live in the middle of Pac12 country) but culturally I think the Big 12 makes a lot more sense for BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.