S
sageI had a cool experience. I got to talk for quite a while with Nick Kurtz. Good guy. Not LDS. He said he loved the culture here. Room mates with Mitch Mathews. Said Mitch knows the church is true and has shared his testimony with him quite a bit, and lives it. Loves the Utah culture and that is why he came here. Doesn't really want to investigate the church. As a student he has to take religion courses. So the first one he took introduced him to the basics of the church. Learned a lot. Another time he went to lost and found for some reason and there was a roll of cash there that someone had turned in. He was shocked because that is totally unheard of anywhere else. Said many other things. I enjoyed it a lot.
Let me tell you. That guy has as good of hands as I have ever seen. And as some of you may remember, I am a ref so I have seen about 100 games a year for the past 29 years. I threw him a ball that was low and away. He leaned over and flicked it around his back up over his shoulder and caught it with the other hand. Incredible. And it was smooth and in control. Not just a desperate attempt. Another throw I made was slightly behind him as he was coming forward and to the right. He stopped, turned his back directly towards me as he leaned over quite a ways, stuck his hand straight out; the ball hit him in the hand and stuck there like he had velcro in it. Aaaaaaaaaawsome. Did quite a few other fine moves, but those two stand out.
After he got talking, he desperately wanted to tell me of a remarkable experience that he had had with one of the GAs. It took about 10 minutes to tell me. The story covered quite a few days. You could see the Lord's hand working miracles for him quite a few times in the story. Even he was amazed at what happened. Was totally impressed with the GA and the love shown to him. I asked permission to share the experience and he said it was OK with him. Out of respect, and the open nature of forums, I will refrain at this time from giving out more, but we got a good one.
He scoffed at the rumor that he committed to Oregon or Washington or where ever he has been accused of de-committing from. I asked how come he hadn't been recruited out of HS. He indicated that he was a late bloomer and wasn't that good out of HS. He looked like he was about half an inch taller than Mitch. Mitch didn't talk much, but it sure seems to me, Mitch is a good guy.
I like the culture BYU has. I like that I can feel good about the type of recruits BYU gets as quality people, not just athletes. I am a fan. Big time.
Let me tell you. That guy has as good of hands as I have ever seen. And as some of you may remember, I am a ref so I have seen about 100 games a year for the past 29 years. I threw him a ball that was low and away. He leaned over and flicked it around his back up over his shoulder and caught it with the other hand. Incredible. And it was smooth and in control. Not just a desperate attempt. Another throw I made was slightly behind him as he was coming forward and to the right. He stopped, turned his back directly towards me as he leaned over quite a ways, stuck his hand straight out; the ball hit him in the hand and stuck there like he had velcro in it. Aaaaaaaaaawsome. Did quite a few other fine moves, but those two stand out.
After he got talking, he desperately wanted to tell me of a remarkable experience that he had had with one of the GAs. It took about 10 minutes to tell me. The story covered quite a few days. You could see the Lord's hand working miracles for him quite a few times in the story. Even he was amazed at what happened. Was totally impressed with the GA and the love shown to him. I asked permission to share the experience and he said it was OK with him. Out of respect, and the open nature of forums, I will refrain at this time from giving out more, but we got a good one.
He scoffed at the rumor that he committed to Oregon or Washington or where ever he has been accused of de-committing from. I asked how come he hadn't been recruited out of HS. He indicated that he was a late bloomer and wasn't that good out of HS. He looked like he was about half an inch taller than Mitch. Mitch didn't talk much, but it sure seems to me, Mitch is a good guy.
I like the culture BYU has. I like that I can feel good about the type of recruits BYU gets as quality people, not just athletes. I am a fan. Big time.

