Archived Topic

Gurney tweeting it's just socks.

by SpiffCoug · 5/28/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Hmmm... It just gets curiouser and curiouser.



Don't know what to believe now. Gurney says it's all about some socks. That it's been blown out of proportion and that Busby was planning to retire anyways.



Who knows what's going on.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
Hmmm... It just gets curiouser and curiouser.



Don't know what to believe now. Gurney says it's all about some socks. That it's been blown out of proportion and that Busby was planning to retire anyways.



Who knows what's going on.


It would be so sweet if that really was all that it was. Almost sweeter because of what the media has built it up to be rather than that BYU wouldn't be in trouble. It's pretty interesting that multiple media outlets said they turned down the "source" and "story" and then 1280 made it so big but didn't seem to hedge against it at all that it might not be anything.
G
Guest
If it ends up being about socks then someone or someones at 1280 have to lose their job over this.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
If it ends up being about socks then someone or someones at 1280 have to lose their job over this.


unfortunately i would suspect a raise would be in order for getting the ratings higher than they have ever been. they don't care about journalistic integrity or anything like that.
N
NDCougar
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
If it ends up being about socks then someone or someones at 1280 have to lose their job over this.


You're right - they should. They won't. The hot air pie hole pot stirrers generated interest. Who cares about truth, fairness or accuracy. Increased ratings? Mission accomplished.
G
Gunk
NDCougar wrote:
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............


BYU's PR, especially when it comes to controversy is always a mess.



BYU tends to take the head in the sand approach.



My guess is BYU is conducting a full investigation to make sure it's only socks. Nothing would look worse if more came out later. That doesn't mean the PR team gets to put it's feet up in the mean time. They should be working overtime right now. Not how I handle my crisis communications.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
NDCougar wrote:
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............


Probably waiting for the investigation to be over. Don't want to tell everyone it's just socks and then have it end up being more.
S
Stirfry
Gunk wrote:



My guess is BYU is conducting a full investigation to make sure it's only socks. Nothing would look worse if more came out later. That doesn't mean the PR team gets to put it's feet up in the mean time. They should be working overtime right now. Not how I handle my crisis communications.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If it is just socks and they knew about Cody's socks at least 2 months ago, how long do you keep investigating if 2 months in all you've found is still just socks? I think I'm with NDCougar that it must be more than just socks or they wouldn't let the negative news pull BYU's name through the mud for so long, especially with the other negative news BYU's had with the ACC/SEC.
C
CrimsonCoug
I think Gurney misinterpreted his tap on Holmoe's phone when he heard Tom say, "Yes, President Monson, this whole thing just socks!"
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Stirfry wrote:



My guess is BYU is conducting a full investigation to make sure it's only socks. Nothing would look worse if more came out later. That doesn't mean the PR team gets to put it's feet up in the mean time. They should be working overtime right now. Not how I handle my crisis communications.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If it is just socks and they knew about Cody's socks at least 2 months ago, how long do you keep investigating if 2 months in all you've found is still just socks? I think I'm with NDCougar that it must be more than just socks or they wouldn't let the negative news pull BYU's name through the mud for so long, especially with the other negative news BYU's had with the ACC/SEC.


in addition to ACC and SEC bad news, Big 12 Commish was quoted yesterday saying he sees nothing in the future that would motivate The Big 12 to expand.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Schmoe wrote:
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............


Probably waiting for the investigation to be over. Don't want to tell everyone it's just socks and then have it end up being more.


Yeah, you start pulling one little stray thread, and the whole sock can start to unravel!
C
CrimsonCoug
snoscythe wrote:
NDCougar wrote:
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............


Probably waiting for the investigation to be over. Don't want to tell everyone it's just socks and then have it end up being more.


Yeah, you start pulling one little stray thread, and the whole sock can start to unravel!


Darn It !! :D
C
craigoscarson
NDCougar wrote:
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............

I take no credit for this and fully warn it may not be accurate. I won't reveal where I heard this but think of a news source or BYU......it came from someone BYU friendly.



The rumored person that is currently on the team that they are reviewing is Taysom Hill. A news source (credible and not Utah biased) is looking into the story but don't have enough to go public yet but they are trying to get it. Supposedly he had free to very discounted housing provided to him.



The other person he mentioned is Van Noy. His agent denies it but has said Van Noy has heard of it "possibly" going on. Hoffman is another name among others.



If this is true this is bad and Hill could spend time suspended. Not only that but BYU wants to have a very clean rep and this is a black eye.



Again take it for what it is worth. Just passing it along, I hope it is wrong......but that is what is being floated along.


So Taysom got socks too? ..... and what credible person told you that Taysom got free to very discounted housing if it was just socks to Hoffman? ... maybe we don't float other peoples bullsh*t next time.... The part of you with a BYU education should know better... I can't speak for the ND part.. I can just say that part isn't welcome to dinner at my home... especially if this is the kind of rumor we're allowing to circulate.



Let the process play out unless you have carnal knowledge that something happened. I haven't said a peep about this because I have no idea...



A few years ago I had indisputable proof that Manti Teo and a few others were drunk as skunks during their BYU recruiting trip (ultimately the truth came out too)..... no one appears to have any idea what happened if anything with Duane Busby and BYU.



If I were Duane though, I'd have an attorney record every second of every broadcast by 1280 right now. A defamation and slander lawsuit might be a slam dunk if nothing else comes of this BYU and potential NCAA investigation...



BTW - I think Manti must have stayed drunk the entire time he was at ND. What else would explain his tackling vs Bama (worst NC game ever.. Bama vs a glorified JUCO) and his lovely girlfriend?
N
NDCougar
craigoscarson wrote:
It will be ridiculous if it is just about socks. Not sure why BYU would not just squash all other rumors and mention they are looking into an isolated incident that appears to be minor. Seems like they let this spin too far out of control.



This is something that reported on ESPN.com and other major sources. Even if not true, it is horrible PR and someone at BYU should have put an end to it. BYU is all about having the right image, their response has seemed rather slow.



My guess it is more than socks but not as big as the media is playing it up to be. There is nothing to report in Utah this time of year............

I take no credit for this and fully warn it may not be accurate. I won't reveal where I heard this but think of a news source or BYU......it came from someone BYU friendly.



The rumored person that is currently on the team that they are reviewing is Taysom Hill. A news source (credible and not Utah biased) is looking into the story but don't have enough to go public yet but they are trying to get it. Supposedly he had free to very discounted housing provided to him.



The other person he mentioned is Van Noy. His agent denies it but has said Van Noy has heard of it "possibly" going on. Hoffman is another name among others.



If this is true this is bad and Hill could spend time suspended. Not only that but BYU wants to have a very clean rep and this is a black eye.



Again take it for what it is worth. Just passing it along, I hope it is wrong......but that is what is being floated along.


So Taysom got socks too? ..... and what credible person told you that Taysom got free to very discounted housing if it was just socks to Hoffman? ... maybe we don't float other peoples bullsh*t next time.... The part of you with a BYU education should know better... I can't speak for the ND part.. I can just say that part isn't welcome to dinner at my home... especially if this is the kind of rumor we're allowing to circulate.



Let the process play out unless you have carnal knowledge that something happened. I haven't said a peep about this because I have no idea...



A few years ago I had indisputable proof that Manti Teo and a few others were drunk as skunks during their BYU recruiting trip (ultimately the truth came out too)..... no one appears to have any idea what happened if anything with Duane Busby and BYU.



If I were Duane though, I'd have an attorney record every second of every broadcast by 1280 right now. A defamation and slander lawsuit might be a slam dunk if nothing else comes of this BYU and potential NCAA investigation...



BTW - I think Manti must have stayed drunk the entire time he was at ND. What else would explain his tackling vs Bama (worst NC game ever.. Bama vs a glorified JUCO) and his lovely girlfriend?


No one told me Taysom got free housing......maybe your BYU education did not cover reading comprehension. ;)



What I stated is the media was looking into reports about TH, KVN and CH. That happened and likely still is happening. It is clear they don't have anything to go on. Please look at the first sentence, "I take no credit for this and fully warn it may not be accurate".



If you don't want to read what was being scattered around from a very credible source tied to what is going on......then don't read it. This is cougarcorner.com and I am posting what was being thrown around, this is not meant to be ESPN.com (which at times a few folks on this board believe what they read is gospel). I assure news sources were/are looking into the TH angle; whether it is true or not is to be seen (I hope not). This is a public forum and I will not throw names around the internet as sources; as you can imagine this would not be good for them.......if not interested don't read it, pretty simple.



No worries about a dinner invite......not sure I would want to attend dinner at someone's home that makes judgments solely on the school they attended. Must be tough for you knowing who do be friends with or who to associate with.......I am not particularly fond of Utah nor USC, I would think I could host someone from those schools in my home. Good laugh.



If we want to talk ND happy to do so, but this is a BYU forum. Manti did enjoy a few cold one's with BYU players......it is true, no one denied it and not sure how this is relevant? The NC was bad just like the year prior when Bama shut out LSU, Saban is tough when he has a lot of time to plan and an NC on the line. Saban tends to make 12-0 teams look silly in NC games. Feel free to PM me and we can talk ND all you want, we can save the others from having to read something not relevant to the topic at hand.



You ok? You seem like a pretty sensitive guy........that only wants to hear what he wants to hear. Again if you don't want to read my comments don't, I won't be hurt.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
craigoscarson wrote:



Let the process play out unless you have carnal knowledge that something happened. I haven't said a peep about this because I have no idea...

This is a family-friendly board, we do not speak of carnal knowledge here - neither the lawful nor unlawful kind ;)
C
Cougs_Rule
Told ya.



And ND, you were right in the middle of the kind of malaise that includes 1280 and other boards. Just own it. You fed it.

You seem like a "pretty sensitive guy" yourself if you have to get the last personal attack in.
C
craigoscarson
My problem with NDCougar is that



1. He has routinely tried to compare BYUs honor code and history with Notre Dames honor code which makes me want to puke... ND students can have sex and drink all the want and they have. The level of discipline is night and day... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3601520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; we're not on the same playing field and it's not even close.



2. He defends himself when ND gets attacked here citing this as " a BYU forum", but is 1st to defend Notre Dame and sometimes at the expense of BYU (check out his archives and see the obscene amount of domer chat that comes with him). He gives out an air that because he's a Notre Dame fan, he knows better than the majority of BYU fans how the college football world works. He's not a BYU apologist, however quick to defend Notre Dame and their obnoxiously overrated legacy (defends the 12-0 Notre Dame team that should have lost to Riley Nelson.. arguably the most overrated 12-0 team in college football history). (I see their legacy as 20 years and 2 or so bowl wins = gets better than they deserve... which is the opposite of BYU which routinely gets less than we deserve... a huge reason why I despise them.)

1994 Fiesta Colorado 21-41 L

1995 Orange Florida State 26-31 L

1997 Independence LSU 9-27 L

1998 Gator Georgia Tech 28-35 L

2000 Fiesta Oregon State 9-41 L

2002 Gator N.C. State 6-28 L

2004 Insight Oregon State 21-38 L

2005 Fiesta Ohio State 20-34 L

2006 Sugar LSU 14-41 L

2008 Hawai'i Hawaii 49-21 W

2010 Sun Miami (Fla.) 33-17 W

2011 Champs Sports Florida State 14-18 L

2012 BCS C'ship Game Alabama 14-42 L

2013 Pinstripe Rutgers 29-16 W



3. He throws out baseless rumors, but thinks he gets a get out of jail card because he's not the source and the source is nameless media... if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem and even more sad, what you claim others are investigating apparently has little to no relevancy to the actual violations (we can't prove you're wrong, however based on what's been coming out.. it's abundantly clear your source/etc. are barking up the wrong tree). I wonder if he'd act the same if this were Notre Dame we were talking about... (I actually don't wonder because he's historically defended them at the drop of a hat when the conversation of ND and rule breaking comes up... or being overrated... or Manti Teo (if he knew anything about Brian Teo, maybe he wouldn't be so eager to defend the kid)) This is why I gag at your ND fandom.. I think there's a real double standard related to how you view each program...



4. I'm so pissed off at 1280 right now that anyone that would feed into the complete horsesh*t that they're spewing right now is public enemy number 1 to me. I would be the 1st to chip in cash to fund Duane Busby's defamation lawsuit. I am sick of Gordon Monson, I am sick of 1280, I am sick of their complete double standards. They serve no purpose but their enjoyment of poking BYU with a stick and hoping that BYU fans won't wake up and eat them alive. Well it's time to finally not turn the other cheek.. If it turns out that BYU has done nothing more than innocuous stuff like socks... then 1280 (and anyone that would help perpetuate those lies) deserves our wrath, especially if Duane Busby is found to have fairly clean hands. Like I said, if you don't have indisputable carnal knowledge of something that happened, then anything else that would negatively affect the reputation and life of a person like Duane Busby is not kosher to me.



I'm mad as heck right now about 1280 and this rumor mongering... anyone found to be circulating this stuff is part of the problem to me... particularly without naming their sources... what good did what you write do? how did it add to the conversation? did you consider if you and your sources were wrong, how it would affect BYU and Duane Busby just to have that circulating. (ever played the game where you sat in a circle and said something and had it passed on? that's the life that a rumor can take on and it's completely out of your control once you put it in space.... better be right, especially when it affects peoples lives.)



5. I don't believe he would have proceeded the same way if this was about ND
D
Ddawg
craigoscarson wrote:

I'm mad as heck right now about 1280 and this rumor mongering... anyone found to be circulating this stuff is part of the problem to me... particularly without naming their sources...


Agreed. Excellent post. Great points.
C
Cougarbib
If Busby or BYU has a defamation or libel case against 1280 or anyone else, I doubt they will need any investors to help them pursue it. Contribute to something useful like breaking down the cartel that keeps resurfacing in new and varying names and forms. I live in California. Do not listen to 1280. Missing out on all the fun. Calm down. Take a valium. The National media do not seem too worked up about sockgate. Time will tell how big this is or is not. I hope the report comes out soon so all the debates about cover ups and how it was handled can begin. Much adoo about nothing. Relax. Kiss and make-up. None of this is of much consequence in the big scheme of things. How many views has this thread had. Seriously. The Spring Game got more attention. Now - if something actually comes of this - then that will be news.



I laughed when everyone overreacted to Ohio State, Auburn, Miami, etc. Ridiculous doomsday predictions.



This one will be much, much smaller than those were.



Relax. Go to Macy's. Socks are on sale.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.