Archived Topic

Since positive news is slow, looking at 2015 schedule

by Fido · 5/27/2014

Advertisement
F
Fido
So it looks like we already have 6 road games:

9/5 @ Nebraska

9/26 @ Michigan

10/17 @ Southern Miss

11/7 @ San Jose State

11/14 @ UNLV

11/28 @ Utah State



And only 5 home games:

9/12 Boise State

10/10 East Carolina

10/24 Cincinnati

10/31 Connecticut

11/21 Fresno State



Since our schedule usually has one FCS school on it (2011 Idaho State, 2012 Weber State, 2013 Idaho State, 2014 Savannah State) and we don't have one yet would you expect that final home game is a FCS game? I'd love to see BYU eventually improve their SOS by not playing FCS teams since we play enough G5 games and not enough P5 games in my opinion. I think it would help our cause.



This is not exactly an amazing home schedule but it seems the home schedule gets better a few more years out. <hopeful>



Also, any theory behind why schools don't make schedule announcements sooner? Is it because some things are conditional in the schedule and they want to make sure it is final before announcing? Or to spread out the announcements strategically to keep interest in the fan base during slower news times? I've always wondered--perhaps it is to keep a date in case an opportunity pops up that they could take advantage of (a late cancellation for another school or something).
S
Stirfry
Does the 2016 home schedule have anything new on it or is the first home game still in November?



I'd much prefer we played an old MWC team over an FCS team each year. If we could get 2 for 1's with some old MWC teams it would be much more entertaining than an FCS team.
F
Fido
Here is 2016 as we know it:

9/3 @ Arizona (University of Phoenix Stadium)

9/10 @ Utah

9/24 @ West Virginia (FedEx Field)

10/15 @ Boise State

11/12 @ Cincinnati

11/19 Southern Miss

11/26 Utah State



Only the last 2 games are home games so far with 5 away/neutral site games.
S
scott715
We gave up 2 for 1's. In order to get the 6th home game we have to take a FCS unless we can a 2 for 1 or 1 for 0. So far we have gotten very few of them. If someone wants to get a game on ESPN, we are all ears.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
We gave up 2 for 1's. In order to get the 6th home game we have to take a FCS unless we can a 2 for 1 or 1 for 0. So far we have gotten very few of them. If someone wants to get a game on ESPN, we are all ears.


Many G5 teams play roll-over games for money - Payday Games. Just like the FCS teams need to do so to keep their programs afloat.



The key to getting payday games is - Money. Big Money. $1M will bringem in - in droves. Problem is - BYU probably will not pay that much and the G5 teams needing a payday will go play at Auburn, Nebraska, etc.



Ironically, BYU may get paid less for giving a 1 and done or 2 for 1 than UNLV gets paid, because BYU is not always a sure win.



BYU needs to schedule to its own advantage and be willing to write big checks to make that happen.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
So it looks like we already have 6 road games:

9/5 @ Nebraska

9/26 @ Michigan

10/17 @ Southern Miss

11/7 @ San Jose State

11/14 @ UNLV

11/28 @ Utah State



And only 5 home games:

9/12 Boise State

10/10 East Carolina

10/24 Cincinnati

10/31 Connecticut

11/21 Fresno State



Since our schedule usually has one FCS school on it (2011 Idaho State, 2012 Weber State, 2013 Idaho State, 2014 Savannah State) and we don't have one yet would you expect that final home game is a FCS game? I'd love to see BYU eventually improve their SOS by not playing FCS teams since we play enough G5 games and not enough P5 games in my opinion. I think it would help our cause.



This is not exactly an amazing home schedule but it seems the home schedule gets better a few more years out. <hopeful>



Also, any theory behind why schools don't make schedule announcements sooner? Is it because some things are conditional in the schedule and they want to make sure it is final before announcing? Or to spread out the announcements strategically to keep interest in the fan base during slower news times? I've always wondered--perhaps it is to keep a date in case an opportunity pops up that they could take advantage of (a late cancellation for another school or something).


Overall, this is a good schedule for BYU other than continuing to play the toughest opponents on the road disproportionately.



I do not like FCS games. I hope we do not schedule one. Our hands are tied due to having given up 2 for 1 or 1 and done - so go out and pay Wyoming to ride into town and roll over for us. Write a big check and bringem in. 1 and done.



on closer inspection, FBS rollover candidates are in demand and many have already booked up rollovers for 2015. Tulane looks like they are willing and still available.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
So it looks like we already have 6 road games:

9/5 @ Nebraska

9/26 @ Michigan

10/17 @ Southern Miss

11/7 @ San Jose State

11/14 @ UNLV

11/28 @ Utah State



And only 5 home games:

9/12 Boise State

10/10 East Carolina

10/24 Cincinnati

10/31 Connecticut

11/21 Fresno State



Since our schedule usually has one FCS school on it (2011 Idaho State, 2012 Weber State, 2013 Idaho State, 2014 Savannah State) and we don't have one yet would you expect that final home game is a FCS game? I'd love to see BYU eventually improve their SOS by not playing FCS teams since we play enough G5 games and not enough P5 games in my opinion. I think it would help our cause.



This is not exactly an amazing home schedule but it seems the home schedule gets better a few more years out. <hopeful>



Also, any theory behind why schools don't make schedule announcements sooner? Is it because some things are conditional in the schedule and they want to make sure it is final before announcing? Or to spread out the announcements strategically to keep interest in the fan base during slower news times? I've always wondered--perhaps it is to keep a date in case an opportunity pops up that they could take advantage of (a late cancellation for another school or something).


Overall, this is a good schedule for BYU other than continuing to play the toughest opponents on the road disproportionately.



I do not like FCS games. I hope we do not schedule one. Our hands are tied due to having given up 2 for 1 or 1 and done - so go out and pay Wyoming to ride into town and roll over for us. Write a big check and bringem in. 1 and done.



on closer inspection, FBS rollover candidates are in demand and many have already booked up rollovers for 2015. Tulane looks like they are willing and still available.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

You sure? That's looks like a pretty balanced schedule, home and away. Nebraska and Michigan are tough for sure, but none of the other roadies should be terribly difficult. Boise St and Fresno are solid teams and Cincy could be decent as well. I think that's a great schedule.



The biggest problem I see with it is how front loaded it is. Nebraska, Michigan and Boise are all very early.
C
Cougarbib
Spiff - yes, I am sure.



I said, " Overall This Schedule Is Good".



But, yes, it would be better - Very good - if Nebraska or Michigan was in Provo and we added Colorado or someone like that on the road instead of adding a likely FCS team at home with the way it stands now.



I also agree that it would be even better if the tough games were spread out a bit - excellent schedule if both of these issues were addressed.
F
Fido
In 2013, we had 3 P5 schools @ Provo (Texas, Georgia Tech, and Utah). This year we have 1 (Virginia). In 2015, we have 0 so far. In 2016, we have 0 so far. In 2017 it turns back around and we have 2 so far (Utah, Cal).

Its good to have good G5 schools on your schedule but it isn't as good as having a couple P5 teams on the home schedule. For me that is the difference between good and great schedules.
S
scott715
Good point but I would rather play BSU or USU over a Kansas or Indiana.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
It seems like every year BYU holds one week open to see if anything can break for them schedule wise. The likelihood is that it will be an FCS team, however it might not be.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
Spiff - yes, I am sure.



I said, " Overall This Schedule Is Good".



But, yes, it would be better - Very good - if Nebraska or Michigan was in Provo and we added Colorado or someone like that on the road instead of adding a likely FCS team at home with the way it stands now.



I also agree that it would be even better if the tough games were spread out a bit - excellent schedule if both of these issues were addressed.

I've always wondered why Colorado and BYU have rarely played. You'd think it'd be a somewhat natural game to play. We've only played them 12 times. And the last one was in 1988 in a bowl.



Of course, now with their big rivalry with Utah, I can't imagine there being much interest on the Buffs side to play us.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Spiff - yes, I am sure.



I said, " Overall This Schedule Is Good".



But, yes, it would be better - Very good - if Nebraska or Michigan was in Provo and we added Colorado or someone like that on the road instead of adding a likely FCS team at home with the way it stands now.



I also agree that it would be even better if the tough games were spread out a bit - excellent schedule if both of these issues were addressed.

I've always wondered why Colorado and BYU have rarely played. You'd think it'd be a somewhat natural game to play. We've only played them 12 times. And the last one was in 1988 in a bowl.



Of course, now with their big rivalry with Utah, I can't imagine there being much interest on the Buffs side to play us.


Freedom Bowl. Coming out party for TY Detmer. Signature win. Buffs and Eric Bienemy were favored. I was there. Fun game to watch. Low scoring. Nail biter.



I agree. It is odd that BYU and CU have not played more often. Seems like a natural fit. Maybe another case of liberal bias.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Probably more to do with limited OOC games and lots of teams that fill those slots (like CSU et al).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.