Archived Topic

NCAA Football Change Proposal

by hawkwing · 5/22/2014

Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm adamantly opposed to paying college players. But I am open to an idea like this...



For every year a student athlete letters in a sport (only applies to 1 letter per year) the University must guarantee 2 years of post eligibility health insurance. To begin post collegiate career.



So a football or basketball player that plays and letters 4 years will get 8 years of health insurance that kicks in after his eligibility runs out.



Insurance coverage is forfeited if the individual is found to be taking illegal drugs post eligibility, or if a student athlete is caught taking illegal drugs they forfeit 1 year of coverage for each time caught.
G
Gunk
I like that idea.



I also don't mind a student athlete making money off of endorsements.
J
jvquarterback
hawkwing wrote:
I'm adamantly opposed to paying college players. But I am open to an idea like this...


Why give them anything?



I mean I had to pay for my own cleats for IM football and since I'm a covetous socialist and don't believe anyone else at BYU could possibly produce something of more value to BYU than I did while I was there no one should be paid ...
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
I'm adamantly opposed to paying college players. But I am open to an idea like this...



For every year a student athlete letters in a sport (only applies to 1 letter per year) the University must guarantee 5 years of post eligibility health insurance. To begin post collegiate career.



So a football or basketball player that plays and letters 4 years will get 8 years of health insurance that kicks in after his eligibility runs out.



Insurance coverage is forfeited if the individual is found to be taking illegal drugs post eligibility, or if a student athlete is caught taking illegal drugs they forfeit the 1 year of coverage for each time caught.


Maybe I'm not good at math, but I'm confused here....
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
I'm adamantly opposed to paying college players. But I am open to an idea like this...



For every year a student athlete letters in a sport (only applies to 1 letter per year) the University must guarantee 5 years of post eligibility health insurance. To begin post collegiate career.



So a football or basketball player that plays and letters 4 years will get 8 years of health insurance that kicks in after his eligibility runs out.



Insurance coverage is forfeited if the individual is found to be taking illegal drugs post eligibility, or if a student athlete is caught taking illegal drugs they forfeit the 1 year of coverage for each time caught.


Maybe I'm not good at math, but I'm confused here....


Hah. I changed my proposal from 5 years per year lettering to 2 half way through writing this post and forgot to adjust the first paragraph.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
hawkwing wrote:
I'm adamantly opposed to paying college players. But I am open to an idea like this...



For every year a student athlete letters in a sport (only applies to 1 letter per year) the University must guarantee 2 years of post eligibility health insurance. To begin post collegiate career.



So a football or basketball player that plays and letters 4 years will get 8 years of health insurance that kicks in after his eligibility runs out.



Insurance coverage is forfeited if the individual is found to be taking illegal drugs post eligibility, or if a student athlete is caught taking illegal drugs they forfeit 1 year of coverage for each time caught.




I agree all the games should be free to attend, not be televised, and no merchandise should be shown. Then it would be fair for the players not to be compensated fairly.



Personally I think the real problem is that sports are even associated with colleges. If players are playing professionally at 12 or 13, then the myth of the amateur-student-athlete goes away and we can all stop lying about it.



As for the insurance it is a step in right direction, but it should include lifetime coverage for lingering, chronic injuries that happened during the playing career. For example I destroy my knee playing football and I need years of physical therapy and knee scopes for a decade it should be covered.
W
Wickchad
In my opinion if an athlete sustains an injury, all treatment for the effects of that injury should be covered by the school for the rest of the athlete's life. This would probably be difficult to fund and track, but it would probably weed out the under funded programs from competing in athletics.
C
Cougarbib
Other than self-employed - graduate - get a job - sign up for the insurance. There are no longer pre-existing condition exclusions.
F
Fido
So the college ends up covering them for health insurance even if they move on to a NFL career or have other opportunities to pay for health insurance? Working in the benefits industry if you saw the employer cost for offering coverage it would be far cheaper to pay them money.
F
Fido
Wickchad wrote:
In my opinion if an athlete sustains an injury, all treatment for the effects of that injury should be covered by the school for the rest of the athlete's life. This would probably be difficult to fund and track, but it would probably weed out the under funded programs from competing in athletics.

That sounds great for cases where injuries can be tied to a specific event during the college career when the injury was sustained. But what about pre-existing injuries/conditions, continued wear & tear as life progresses, pain treatment and other things that are hard to pin down to a specific cause. That would simply be impractical.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Fido wrote:
So the college ends up covering them for health insurance even if they move on to a NFL career or have other opportunities to pay for health insurance? Working in the benefits industry if you saw the employer cost for offering coverage it would be far cheaper to pay them money.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about future health insurance options. Perhaps that should be conditional on not having health coverage provided during those 8 or fewer years. Also, you're exactly right about the cost of health insurance. It would be very expensive.
G
Gunk
I still don't see why an athlete at the college with noteriety can't use that noteriety to make some money.



He/she is playing a sport for the school. As compensation for such they get a free education. The school takes the sport, takes the athletes' efforts and broadcasts them and gets paid handsomely in doing so. The school turns the athlete in some degree into a star and is compensated because of the star athlete. The bigger the star the more revenue the school makes. BYU made a pretty penny off of Jimmer mania. The athlete receives no additional compensation for the notoriety. Why not allow the athlete cash in on that?



If a student on a full ride academic scholarship makes a discovery while at school or starts a lucrative business as a student they are allowed to cash in all they want on their abilities and talent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.