Archived Topic

BYU Investigation allegations of improper benefits

by hawkwing · 5/21/2014

Advertisement
G
Guest
BYU is investigating allegations of improper gifts and benefits given to current and former players, possibly involving Duane Busby.
S
SpiffCoug
See! SEC & ACC! We know how to play like big time college football!
M
Mars


Any rumors who else on the staff or in administration may be involved, or what sports or what players?



If this involves Holmoe, Bronco, Rose, Taysom, Jamaal, or Haws, that could be very very bad.



Hunker down boys, time to weather another storm! :~(
D
Ddawg
As long as the gifts didn't include free tattoo's in exchange for team jerseys, or free SUV's with 20" chrome spinners, I think the Coug's will be Ok.
S
stuckinbig10country
It appears that it's money, rent, food. This is not good. In fact, it's very, very bad.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Appears to be limited to the football team for now. I had heard about this the other day and at that time the hope was it only involved former players, but it appears that there are some current players involved.
M
Mars


Rumors suggest that players such as Cody Hoffman, Bronson Kaufusi, Ammon Olsen, Billy Green, or Tanner Mangum could possibly be involved. Those who know aren't saying.
S
SpiffCoug
There's got to be a way we can bring up Heaps and/or Nelson in this.



I've got it!



Now the truth comes out! Heaps transferred because he didn't want to be involved in the illegal gift program Nelson was running. This is how Nelson was able to turn the team against Heaps!
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
Now the truth comes out! Heaps transferred because he didn't want to be involved in the illegal gift program Nelson was running. This is how Nelson was able to turn the team against Heaps!

Hmm. Sounds legit!
S
SenorCougar
Oh no ... Cody Hoffman's refusal to answer question and his agent's "no comment" remark regarding if he knew others that may have received benefits is almost condemning. Does BYU sports go the way of Ricks or BYU Hawaii? What sanctions should be imposed, if true?
Advertisement
M
Mars


I heard that Cody Hoffman was gifted free Books of Mormon by multiple staff members, and current and former players. #impermissible
S
SpiffCoug
As long as it's just a BYU investigation and not an NCAA investigation, there's not much to worry about yet. And given BYU's history, BYU should have earned some goodwll from the NCAA that their investigation will be thorough and that the situation has been rectified and, honestly, that there isn't a need for the NCAA to get involved.
S
snoscythe
This has been coming for a while---I think I've hinted as much in the past that BYU does not want NCAA attention.



What I know of is booster related, and to the best of my knowledge, concealed from coaches. Things like players who have their address at an apartment by campus, but who live in guest homes adjacent to big boosters. And it's not limited to the footballers.



18-23 year old kids can be idiots, but so can the middle-aged and other-side-of-middle-aged boosters. If you think Bronco had a problem with the Cougar Club (especially the Legacy level donors) before, how nice do you think he's going to play with them if this results in sanctions?
D
Ddawg
This is why the Coug football team needs to unionize. A good union steward would have quashed this kerfuffle at the outset. :whistle:
S
Stirfry
snoscythe wrote:
This has been coming for a while---I think I've hinted as much in the past that BYU does not want NCAA attention.



What I know of is booster related, and to the best of my knowledge, concealed from coaches. Things like players who have their address at an apartment by campus, but who live in guest homes adjacent to big boosters. And it's not limited to the footballers.



18-23 year old kids can be idiots, but so can the middle-aged and other-side-of-middle-aged boosters. If you think Bronco had a problem with the Cougar Club (especially the Legacy level donors) before, how nice do you think he's going to play with them if this results in sanctions?


So what is in it for Busby? Does he just want to be cool with the kids, is he hoping for a windfall if they go pro, or does he use this as a recruiting tool? If Tanner Mangum is involved he's doing it for new recruits that haven't even played. To my knowledge (which is limited) Busby didn't recruit so other coaches/admins must have known about it.



I don't see how the risk can possibly be worth the reward for someone in Busby's position in the program. Unless he's just giving them peanut butter sandwhiches and letting them party in the back yard.



If it's not for recruiting is it to keep kids here? They already can't transfer. Sno has been dropping hints on this for a year it seems like. What's taken so long for it to come out?
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Stirfry wrote:
This has been coming for a while---I think I've hinted as much in the past that BYU does not want NCAA attention.



What I know of is booster related, and to the best of my knowledge, concealed from coaches. Things like players who have their address at an apartment by campus, but who live in guest homes adjacent to big boosters. And it's not limited to the footballers.



18-23 year old kids can be idiots, but so can the middle-aged and other-side-of-middle-aged boosters. If you think Bronco had a problem with the Cougar Club (especially the Legacy level donors) before, how nice do you think he's going to play with them if this results in sanctions?


So what is in it for Busby? Does he just want to be cool with the kids, is he hoping for a windfall if they go pro, or does he use this as a recruiting tool? If Tanner Mangum is involved he's doing it for new recruits that haven't even played. To my knowledge (which is limited) Busby didn't recruit so other coaches/admins must have known about it.



I don't see how the risk can possibly be worth the reward for someone in Busby's position in the program. Unless he's just giving them peanut butter sandwhiches and letting them party in the back yard.



If it's not for recruiting is it to keep kids here? They already can't transfer. Sno has been dropping hints on this for a year it seems like. What's taken so long for it to come out?


Sno finally ran out of peanut butter. And they started having to go to Busbys.
C
Cougs_Rule
Kevin Graham @KevinGrahamWEEI

BYU may have given improper benefits to skill position players? That include Riley Nelson who was given the improper benefit of starting?

Retweeted by Brandon Gurney



BAM!!! Rotfl.
S
scott715
This is NOT a laughing matter! Thanks for that one.
S
snoscythe
Stirfry wrote:
This has been coming for a while---I think I've hinted as much in the past that BYU does not want NCAA attention.



What I know of is booster related, and to the best of my knowledge, concealed from coaches. Things like players who have their address at an apartment by campus, but who live in guest homes adjacent to big boosters. And it's not limited to the footballers.



18-23 year old kids can be idiots, but so can the middle-aged and other-side-of-middle-aged boosters. If you think Bronco had a problem with the Cougar Club (especially the Legacy level donors) before, how nice do you think he's going to play with them if this results in sanctions?


So what is in it for Busby? Does he just want to be cool with the kids, is he hoping for a windfall if they go pro, or does he use this as a recruiting tool? If Tanner Mangum is involved he's doing it for new recruits that haven't even played. To my knowledge (which is limited) Busby didn't recruit so other coaches/admins must have known about it.



I don't see how the risk can possibly be worth the reward for someone in Busby's position in the program. Unless he's just giving them peanut butter sandwhiches and letting them party in the back yard.



If it's not for recruiting is it to keep kids here? They already can't transfer. Sno has been dropping hints on this for a year it seems like. What's taken so long for it to come out?


Like I said, I don't know of any coach involvement, including by Busby.
U
urroner
For all you suck egg lawyers out there, if I'm pulled into an interrogation room, should I tell the police everything they want to know without a lawyer and volunteer all sorts of info just because I'm innocent and don't want to look guilty or would it be better to lawyer up and only answer when asked?
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.