Archived Topic

Rank the 2014 Schedule (run-off

by SpiffCoug · 5/20/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Ok, we had a tie last week for the 2nd least difficult game. So we'll have a run off between the 2-10 Virginia Cavaliers and the 4-8 Nevada Wolfpack. Both games are in Provo.



I'm sticking with my Virginia pick as I really think BYU is going to be out for blood for last year's performance. And now throw in the ACC's arrogance and BYU should really make a statement.
C
Cougs_Rule
It's least difficult game. Not, team against which BYU is more motivated.

Bottom of MWC <<<< bottom of ACC.
S
SpiffCoug
Correct. But Nevada actually gave BYU a tougher game than Virginia last year.



Virginia did nothing on offense last year vs BYU and only won because of poor offensive play that gave UVA points (safety) and put their offense in great positions to score - their two offensive TDs started on BYU's 13 and BYU's 16 yard line.



I don't see our offense struggling as much at home. But I do see their offense struggling again.



Nevada actually has some offensive fire power that could keep them in the game.



I do think Nevada will likely be my pick for the 3rd easiest game.
W
Wolverine
SpiffCoug wrote:
Correct. But Nevada actually gave BYU a tougher game than Virginia last year.



Virginia did nothing on offense last year vs BYU and only won because of poor offensive play that gave UVA points (safety) and put their offense in great positions to score - their two offensive TDs started on BYU's 13 and BYU's 16 yard line.



I don't see our offense struggling as much at home. But I do see their offense struggling again.



Nevada actually has some offensive fire power that could keep them in the game.



I do think Nevada will likely be my pick for the 3rd easiest game.

My initial thought was no way did Nevada give BYU a tougher game than Virginia last year, but upon further review I think that is an accurate observation, albeit by just the nose of the football. BYU had 362 total yards and possessed the ball for 25:51 while Virginia had 223 yards and T.O.P. was 34:09. Against Nevada it was BYU 492 and 24:23, Nevada 363 and 35:37. That Virginia game was a complete abomination in my opinion considering the weather, first game, lengthy road trip, new O-system, etc. I voted for Virginia being this year's tougher game just because I think (no facts to back this up disclaimer) that Virginia has to have the better athletes and depth across the board.
M
mizzoucoug
Both at home so that cancels. UVA gets top 25 recruiting classes. Nevada, not so much. UVA is the tougher game because they have the talent to beat us. Nevada will only win if we beat ourselves.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.



So Virginia.
J
jvquarterback
Picked Nevada but UNLV will be easier than both.
A
ABYUFAN
We lost to Virginia and beat Nevada. The numbers are products of the team, the weather, and the time of year the game was played (not all are equal factors, but all are factors) The team we lost to on the road last year cannot be "easier" this year than the team we beat on the road last year
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.



So Virginia.


You'd forgot one other reason. You are Spiffs homey. ;)
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.



So Virginia.


You'd forgot one other reason. You are Spiffs homey. ;)

Spiff is a smart dude, much like yourself.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Virginia will be better in 2014 than they were in 2013. It will not look like they are better on the scoreboard, because BYU will not be as inept and will not gift them field position and touchdowns this time. Virginia has beaten BYU in Provo before, iirc. Jet lag and altitude will hurt them more than those factors hurt Nevada. But, I just do not see Nevada being improved this year.



mirror mirror on the wall - who is weakest of them all?



Nevada this year and most years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Stiff is smart and statistically driven. I am opinionated and lazy. :-) but, thanks.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.



So Virginia.


You'd forgot one other reason. You are Spiffs homey. ;)

To be fair, I'm hawk's wingman. :crazy:
C
Cougarbib
Hopefully, this playoff match between Nevada and UVA establishes sufficient pecking order to place both teams on the list and move to the next round choosing from a list without either Nevada or UVA included.



Hopefully by bumping this back to the top of the topics, we can distract ourselves from recent publicity regarding SEC, ACC, MWC, and Busby.



At least the Sunbelt Conference announcement that they are not considering new members did not mention BYU.
S
SpiffCoug
Good idea.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
Cougarbib wrote:
Hopefully, this playoff match between Nevada and UVA establishes sufficient pecking order to place both teams on the list and move to the next round choosing from a list without either Nevada or UVA included.



Hopefully by bumping this back to the top of the topics, we can distract ourselves from recent publicity regarding SEC, ACC, MWC, and Busby.



At least the Sunbelt Conference announcement that they are not considering new members did not mention BYU.


No. If UNR wins the contest for best loser you have to give UNLV a chance to beat UVa for the same honor.
J
jvquarterback
Somebody tell me who thought UNR and UVa were the two easiest FBS teams on the schedule. Right now these are two of the three toughest games left on the schedule. I thought UNR was going o pull it off against UA and without three defensive touchdowns UVa beats UCLA 20-7.
R
Raiderboy
jvquarterback wrote:
Somebody tell me who thought UNR and UVa were the two easiest FBS teams on the schedule. Right now these are two of the three toughest games left on the schedule. I thought UNR was going o pull it off against UA and without three defensive touchdowns UVa beats UCLA 20-7.


Here's what I think is the order of difficulty as it stands. 1-6 are all pretty close, and all of those are lose-able games. I respect all of those teams and programs. I know Boise is down, but playing on the smurf turf still scares me more than Nevada at home. And Nevada struggled with Southern Utah in Reno. Virginia is the only one of the bunch where I feel like we have a good read on how good they actually are.



1. Virginia

2. @Cal

3. @Boise State

4. Nevada

5. @UCF

6. Utah State

7. @Middle Tennessee

8. UNLV

9. Savannah State
C
Cougarbib
This, other than games like Savanah State that should never be scheduled - is the type of schedule BYU should be playing. In years like this, BYU is good enough to be favored in every game, but with half being reasonably to downright competitive. In a down year, BYU might lose 4 or 5.



Then BYU would be ranked almost every year - and in the discussion and playoff / Big 6 Bowl discussion every few years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Raiderboy wrote:
Somebody tell me who thought UNR and UVa were the two easiest FBS teams on the schedule. Right now these are two of the three toughest games left on the schedule. I thought UNR was going o pull it off against UA and without three defensive touchdowns UVa beats UCLA 20-7.


Here's what I think is the order of difficulty as it stands. 1-6 are all pretty close, and all of those are lose-able games. I respect all of those teams and programs. I know Boise is down, but playing on the smurf turf still scares me more than Nevada at home. And Nevada struggled with Southern Utah in Reno. Virginia is the only one of the bunch where I feel like we have a good read on how good they actually are.



1. Virginia

2. @Cal

3. @Boise State

4. Nevada

5. @UCF

6. Utah State

7. @Middle Tennessee

8. UNLV

9. Savannah State


UCF needs to be higher. Any road game trumps any remaining home game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.