Archived Topic

Gonzaga is going to stomp on us again this year

by Qman · 5/19/2014

Advertisement
Q
Qman
They just got Byron Welsey to transfer from USC-6'5" 210 SG who averaged 18 ppg last season for USC. Wesley will be a senior.



I assume they will start



Pangos

Bell

Wesley

Nunez?

Karnowski



And we are countering with



Winder

KC

Haws

Aytes

Austin



Barring injuries, Gonzaga is going to be really tough with 3 talented senior guards on the perimeter.
C
Cougarbib
I take it BW is a senior who has already graduated? Otherwise, he will need to sit for a year.



Gonzaga generally has more talent than BYU and a coach who seems likely to be legendary when all is said and done.



I suspect that SMC and SF and others will be competitive with BYU next season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Qman wrote:
They just got Byron Welsey to transfer from USC-6'5" 210 SG who averaged 18 ppg last season for USC. Wesley will be a senior.



I assume they will start



Pangos

Bell

Wesley

Nunez?

Karnowski



And we are countering with



Winder

KC

Haws

Aytes

Austin



Barring injuries, Gonzaga is going to be really tough with 3 talented senior guards on the perimeter.


Well we did steal one from them this season at least. And Pangos can be shut down so I don't worry about him as much as the other two, who, yes, will destroy our team. Every time I see Austin as a starter in the lineup I get a little tic. Anybody else have this affliction?



http://estres.comocombatir.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/tecnica_controlar_tics_nerviosos_estres.comocombatir.jpeg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
mizzoucoug wrote:
They just got Byron Welsey to transfer from USC-6'5" 210 SG who averaged 18 ppg last season for USC. Wesley will be a senior.



I assume they will start



Pangos

Bell

Wesley

Nunez?

Karnowski



And we are countering with



Winder

KC

Haws

Aytes

Austin



Barring injuries, Gonzaga is going to be really tough with 3 talented senior guards on the perimeter.


Well we did steal one from them this season at least. And Pangos can be shut down so I don't worry about him as much as the other two, who, yes, will destroy our team. Every time I see Austin as a starter in the lineup I get a little tic. Anybody else have this affliction?



http://estres.comocombatir.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/tecnica_controlar_tics_nerviosos_estres.comocombatir.jpeg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Nope, as a life-long BYU fan, I learned to self-medicate a long time ago 8)
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Here is some my favorite self-medication for bball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mqFMdhDe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1JfTZh0e6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlDPwcwLu2o
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
Here is some my favorite self-medication for bball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mqFMdhDe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1JfTZh0e6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlDPwcwLu2o

You know, every college student should have a Jimmer to cheer for
C
Cougarbib
Jimmer is what college sports and Cinderella stories are all about.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Carlino stole one from them last year. He's gone, KC might not even play and Haws can't shoot if someone doesn't pass him the ball. BYU hoops is screwed next year. Gonzaga would beat BYU 95 times out of 100 next year. (Like anyone can even know that!)
G
Gunk
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Carlino stole one from them last year. He's gone, KC might not even play and Haws can't shoot if someone doesn't pass him the ball. BYU hoops is screwed next year. Gonzaga would beat BYU 95 times out of 100 next year. (Like anyone can even know that!)


Tough to tell. There are a lot of unknowns for next season, PG being the biggest unknown.



I'm a fan of KC but not at the point. Unless one of the many combo guards we have on the roster steps up, I suspect many of the Carlino critics will find themselves wishing we had BYU's 2nd all-time leader in assists back.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Gunk wrote:
Carlino stole one from them last year. He's gone, KC might not even play and Haws can't shoot if someone doesn't pass him the ball. BYU hoops is screwed next year. Gonzaga would beat BYU 95 times out of 100 next year. (Like anyone can even know that!)


Tough to tell. There are a lot of unknowns for next season, PG being the biggest unknown.



I'm a fan of KC but not at the point. Unless one of the many combo guards we have on the roster steps up, I suspect many of the Carlino critics will find themselves wishing we had BYU's 2nd all-time leader in assists back.


I don't think anyone wanted Carlino gone. I think a lot of us wanted him to be more consistent and to shoot the ball better (and not so early in the shot clock!).
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
Carlino stole one from them last year. He's gone, KC might not even play and Haws can't shoot if someone doesn't pass him the ball. BYU hoops is screwed next year. Gonzaga would beat BYU 95 times out of 100 next year. (Like anyone can even know that!)


Tough to tell. There are a lot of unknowns for next season, PG being the biggest unknown.



I'm a fan of KC but not at the point. Unless one of the many combo guards we have on the roster steps up, I suspect many of the Carlino critics will find themselves wishing we had BYU's 2nd all-time leader in assists back.

For the record, Carlino is/was 17th in career assists. He is tied for 1st in assists per game (tied w/ Matt Montague). But even if Matty C played his SR year (call it 30 games) and at his career average he would have finished with 427 career assits, which would have placed him 7th on the all-time assist list.



I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and wished he had stayed.
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and wished he had stayed.

:skeptic: Not sure what this means.
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and wished he had stayed.

:skeptic: Not sure what this means.


Yeah, I can't think of any fan that wanted both of those either!! :lol:



I think you meant:



I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and I wish he had stayed.
S
SpiffCoug
Yep. Forgot my contraction of hadn't.



I do wish he would have stayed.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Carlino is his own worst enemy. He had the ability to be our best player this year and Next, but just couldn't get the mental part of his game right. I hate seeing him transfer, but I think we gain some stability with his departure. It may not be enough to make up for what he brings, but it makes the transition to a new PG a little easier. It all comes down to who steps up their game. I hope Chapman is a surprise this year, he could be the difference maker in the success of this team if he can be ready to go at the start of the season.
B
BYULV
PS

I don't think Gonzaga stomps us as easily as the op suggests. We will have several players to give them grief as well next year. I wouldn't count us out just yet.
B
BroncoBot
BYULV wrote:
PS

I don't think Gonzaga stomps us as easily as the op suggests. We will have several players to give them grief as well next year. I wouldn't count us out just yet.

AGreed. Stomp us? no.

Beat us 2x? maybe.
G
Gunk
BYULV wrote:
PS

I don't think Gonzaga stomps us as easily as the op suggests. We will have several players to give them grief as well next year. I wouldn't count us out just yet.


Who will give them grief?



Austin - nope

KC - maybe, if he's back

Haws - Yes

PG TBD - who know who's playing point. Halford won't give the Zags grief. Winder is streaky. Everyone else are unknown commodities.

PF TBD - We don't even know who let alone how good they are that will be playing PF next season.



That leaves Haws as the only player that we know will be able to give the Zags grief. How much grief depends on how well the other players.
M
mizzoucoug
Gunk wrote:
PS

I don't think Gonzaga stomps us as easily as the op suggests. We will have several players to give them grief as well next year. I wouldn't count us out just yet.


Who will give them grief?



Austin - nope

KC - maybe, if he's back

Haws - Yes

PG TBD - who know who's playing point. Halford won't give the Zags grief. Winder is streaky. Everyone else are unknown commodities.

PF TBD - We don't even know who let alone how good they are that will be playing PF next season.



That leaves Haws as the only player that we know will be able to give the Zags grief. How much grief depends on how well the other players.


Exactly. I really think Aytes might come in and provide points, but that is just my hope based on some highlights. I think the biggest issue is that this team still won't play and D so a team with scorers like Gonzaga has now will just go wild on them.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.