jvquarterback wrote:
Begging won't help. I hope I'm wrong but BYU won't get into a P5 conference anytime in the near future. BYU should build what it can and I think it is totally reasonable to get 4 PAC schools per year and work on a rivalry with TCU or UVa or GT and ND.
I think the biggest hit BYU has taken is losing ND when they went to the ACC. I was hoping they could schedule them on conference championship weekend on a rotating South Bend, Provo, Honolulu schedule.
You are right begging won't help. A big issue is playing on Sunday, no way to negotiate around that.
ND could be an issue for BYU. Considering ND is now booked 5 ACC games a year plus: USC, Stanford, Navy. That is 8 games and ND always has some other games they will play but now rotate through, examples: Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue etc. The schedule is now very crowded and there are others who have deals that are upcoming: Texas etc.
Unfortunately BYU may need to be over accommodating to ND and definitely BYU will not be a yearly competitor to ND, likely similar to what we see now. I can tell you that the ND alums would not be happy with BYU year in and year out, they would rather just re-ink Michigan to a long-term deal, same with Michigan State or there had been talk of ND and UT doing something L/T given they have their own networks and setting something mutually beneficial. BYU is not to the point yet, they are a partner of convenience. BYU does not drive additional revenue, exposure nor is located in a place that helps recruiting.
That means BYU needs to sign up top non-P5 players year, plus sign up Utah and get others on board by rotating PAC 12 and Big 12 teams. I am not too worried abut the ACC and SEC not including BYU as we rarely play them, BUT it does set a bad precedent for other conference.
TH has a lot of work to do........honestly I do not envy him.