Archived Topic

Beach Bowl

by hawkwing · 4/28/2014

Advertisement
G
Guest
The AAC and BYU are teaming up to play in the inaugural Beach Bowl in Miami this year. Hope you guys have your swim suits.
G
Guest
More information about the Beach Bowl can be found here:



http://theamerican.org/news/2013/10/24/FB_1024135758.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


The AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE, in conjunction with Marlins Park, has announced the creation of the MIAMI BEACH BOWL – a groundbreaking event that will bring postseason college football back to Miami.



The Miami Beach Bowl will be played at Marlins Park in Miami beginning with the 2014 season. The game will be owned and administered by the American Athletic Conference, which will hire a full-time operations staff that will be based in Marlins Park. Television and title sponsorship agreements will be announced at a later date.
N
NDCougar
Not sure I like this......we already have 3 AAC games on the books.



I personally prefer a west coast bowl game, that I where the bulk of the recruiting comes from and we would be better off playing/beating a PAC-12 team from a perception perspective.
F
Fido
Its a change. I like it. The bowls don't like to have the same teams over and over so this one changes it up but is still a very interesting venue.
G
Guest
From a recruiting stand point, playing in Florida is a definite positive. From a team reward prospect, playing in Florida beats playing cold weather bowl.
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
hawkwing wrote:
From a recruiting stand point, playing in Florida is a definite positive. From a team reward prospect, playing in Florida beats playing cold weather bowl.


Agree on the reward.



That being said Florida is a hot bed of talent, unfortunately not for BYU.......if we were a SEC school, region schools with ties to the SE or a national school (ND, OSU, UM, USC) it would make sense. We may get a guy here or there, but I believe we would get a bigger bang for our buck on the west coast (CA specifically).......more LDS kids, better visibility into BYU, HS coaches know BYU on the west coast and less so in FL, future games in CA/west coast....thus a push to recruit there (last minute bowl appearance does not leave time to try to get recruits excited to come play for Mom and Dad in FL when they are at BYU).



Sounds fun, but not sure it greatly impacts recruiting. Not saying we can't get some very good one off talent in FL but much more likely to gain traction on the west coast.



Caveat to all this: if it is a playoff game in FL or the Orange Bowl I am fine with it.. ;)
F
Fido
I'm sure Phillip Amone's family is excited. He is a RM true freshman LB from Orlando.
R
RobertMRogers
We can have a tailgate at my chapel. It is about a mile from the Marlins Stadium. I am so excited. And the Marlins Stadium is a cool venue. 8)
J
jvquarterback
If true I'll put the odds of BYU going to the Bowl at 90% based on how I think the season ends



1. 12-0 (1% chance of this record with 0% chance BYU plays in Beach Bowl with 12-0 Record)

2. 11-1 (10%, 30%)

3. 10-2 (33%, 95%)

4. 9-3 (33%, 100%)

5. 8-4 (13%, 100%)

6. 7-5 (7%, 100%

7. 6-6 (1%, 100%)

8. 5-7 or worse (1%, 0%)



I think a game against Cincinnati or SMU would be a good match up. Can't say I'll be flying to Miami for the game though.
G
Gunk
I might actually go to this one. Would rather fly to Miami in the dead of winter. Can swing by Disneyworld afterwards or take a trip down the Keys and do some scuba diving.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
We're going there in September. I don't know about December.
C
Cougarbib
A quick scan of the link indicates that this is 1 of 8 Bowl Affiliations for the ACC. I saw no direct mention of BYU. It was not clear if this Bowl gets the first or last of 8 picks or somewhere in the middle. I confess I did not listen to the video. A 1st place AAc. Bam. Great game. 8th pick - not so much.



Lots of talk about hallowed ground. Original site of The Orange Bowl. Seating 35K. No mention of payout.



Anyone know the specifics?



Me thinks I would prefer Las Vegas or Poinsettia. Holiday - pipe dream.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
It's a new bowl, they are still trying to get sponsors and such. I don't think the AAC has 8 bowls. They don't have that many teams.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
It's a new bowl, they are still trying to get sponsors and such. I don't think the AAC has 8 bowls. They don't have that many teams.


The link someone provided above listed 7 deals plus this new one



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib wrote:
It's a new bowl, they are still trying to get sponsors and such. I don't think the AAC has 8 bowls. They don't have that many teams.


The link someone provided above listed 7 deals plus this new one.


The 7th deal is actually a "backup" deal with the Liberty/Independence/Poinsettia Bowls.



Given that the Bahamas, Armed Forces, and Military Bowls all select from teams 4-6 of the AAC, it would appear that the Beach Bowl gets one of the top 3 or, at worst, gets to pick 3-6.



Also note that BYU only plays in the Beach Bowl if eligible (duh), if not in the CFB Playoff (duh), and if not playing in one of the "big" New Year's Day bowls. That last one is significant. With that kind of an out, I don't see how anyone expects any better tie-in than what we got. If we have a break-out year, the door is still open to a big bowl even with one or two losses.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I am not excited about the opponent. there is no way i can fly to florida the week before christmas either. wish it were after.



personally i am a big fan of fight hunger, holiday, poinsettia, and vegas bowls.
C
Cougarbib
Top 3 would be fine with that out clause, but do we get top 3? How do we know or conclude that? Top 3 would be on a PAR with Poinsettia and Vegas - well - or close enough. With only 35,000 seats, will this jump that high on the list? EDIT: Looked it up on CBS Sports. Bowl was set up to match an AAC team with CUSA team. This year, CUSA traded their invite for a Bahamas Bowl invite and agreed to give Beach to BYU. One time deal. BYU is an upgrade for this Bowl. There is no pecking order. BYU could get any of Team 1 through 5. That is better than a lock at 3. BYU can earn a better opponent if we perform.



For fun, I will go find the AAC 2013 standings to get a sense for who 1-5 might be each year. BYU was a 1 time opportunity for this bowl to get a better team than they will usually get since we were bowlless, and thus more available than we have been or hopefully will be in the future?



The AAC is MWC at best. Some used to grumble about being stuck playing Arizona, Cal, Oregon, and Oregon State in the Las Vegas Bowl annually. I would take that over this.



I like the out clause. NC playoff or 6 affiliated bowls.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
UCF 11-1

Louisville 11-1

Cincinnati 9-3

Houston 8-4

SMU 5-7

Rutgers 6-6



That was the top 6 in order of conference standings. At 5-7, SMU was not Bowl eligible. The other AAC teams were not close to being bowl eligible. Records do not seem to reflect Bowl game results and I was too lazy to look that up. We know Houston was decent, but not great. UCF or Louisville probably would have beaten us in a Bowl Game. Washington was probably as good as Louisville or close and better than Cinci. Cinci would have been a good match for BYU in 2013.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
Cougarbib wrote:
UCF 11-1

Louisville 11-1

Cincinnati 9-3

Houston 8-4

SMU 5-7

Rutgers 6-6



That was the top 6 in order of conference standings. At 5-7, SMU was not Bowl eligible. The other AAC teams were not close to being bowl eligible. Records do not seem to reflect Bowl game results and I was too lazy to look that up. We know Houston was decent, but not great. UCF or Louisville probably would have beaten us in a Bowl Game. Washington was probably as good as Louisville or close and better than Cinci. Cinci would have been a good match for BYU in 2013.


Tulane (7-6), ECU (10-3) and Tulsa (3-9) join the AAC from CUSA this year as well. Too bad it isn't next year when Navy joins the conference. Best case scenario this year (outside an invite to a CFP bowl) is to get 9-3 Cincinnati (we already play UConn, UCF and Houston).
K
KYCoug
I like the idea of moving around to different bowl games especially since we are talking about the lowest tier, lowest payout. Gives us more national exposure. Would rather play against a team from one of the P5 conferences. One more point, Louisville is no longer in the AAC, they have moved to the ACC.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.