Stirfry wrote:
So, if there's almost no real intel value for opposing teams, why not just acknowledge (using one of Mendenhall's favorite words) the entertainment value of the event and put it on BYUtv to feed, solidify and expand the fanbase?
If it's on TV more people would see it but fewer people would go to it. If I were them I'd probably force people to show up and show players/recruits how much fans care. Maybe put it on BYUtv later in the spring/summer so people can see it that can't make it to the stadium but put it late enough that those thinking of going wont decide to just wait.
I couldn't go the day they had it and I'd watch it if it was on BYUtv in a few weeks. They could use it as practice for the rookies at BYUtv to get practice as well.
Maybe fewer would go in the short term, but that number's probably pretty small. And if they were really all that concerned about "butts in seats" (as my LDS Harvard econ prof would to say), then they'd do a better job of advertising when it's going to be--build it up a bit. It's pretty clear that Bronco does it because he feels an obligation to do it (contract?), but he's not in to playing it up. So attendance isn't a big deal to them. But by the same token, neither is viewership.
Frankly, this would seem to be an easy win for Bronco--he could reach a lot more fans with a lot less effort by putting the whole shebang on BYUtv. He already does a post-scrimmage interview, so just make it more complete.
I really do think it has more to do with a fear of giving out too much information.
Good point on giving the BYUtv techs more practice. BYUtv doesn't actually involve a whole lot of actual BYU students. This might give some of those aspiring undergrads a chance for some real experience.