Archived Topic

Carlino to Transfer

by scott715 · 4/1/2014

Advertisement
W
Wolverine
I guess that solves the scholarship number crunch. No need for any bitter or hard feelings on this fan's part. Carlino IMO always gave it his all when on the court. Life is full of decisions and best of luck to him moving forward. Go Cougars!
J
jrhinomo
I can't imagine he is moving on to greener pastures. He earned his demotion this last season. Shooting 38% from the field, 33% on 3FG and 69% on FT's doesn't merit more opportunities. He consistently forced shots, often early in the shot clock. I wish he would have focused more on creating for others because he has a great ability to create and make effective passes. Having said all of that, I wish he were returning for his senior season.
G
Gunk
jrhinomo wrote:
He consistently forced shots, often early in the shot clock.


Rose's offense is designed to shoot early in the shot clock. There is a very limited half-court set. Don't fault him too much for doing what he was coached to do.


jrhinomo wrote:
I wish he would have focused more on creating for others because he has a great ability to create and make effective passes.


Even with one year left of eligibility he'll go down as 2nd in assists at BYU. What more did you want? And as far as creating for others, who would he have created for? Haws was essentially doubled. Mika wasn't nearly as dominant in the post. There was no 2 to pass the ball out to and no 4 for MC to work with.
Advertisement
S
Screamineagle
Anyone know where he is going?
G
Guest
I hate to see him go, he was a decent player, but clearly had consistency issues. Will this be his 4th school?
H
HoosierCougar
I believe this will only technically be his 3rd school.



He committed to Indiana out of HS but never enrolled, decommitted,

enrolled at UCLA, had issues,

transferred to BYU,

and now to the next stop, where I wish him well.



Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!
B
Brayden Green
Yikes. IF this is true (April Fools day and all that) then that is really bad news for us. Carlino is literally the only player on roster that can break a press, and far and away our best passer.



If this is true, then Rose gets what he deserves for trying to get gimmicky and starting a small forward at the point guard position. Rose was right to bench him, but he should have started him 2 or 3 games later when it was clear he had corrected his "taking bad shots" struggles.



This hurts bad. Really bad timing on this one. Calvert doesn't come home for another year and TJ and Nick are mission bound.
C
Cougs_Rule
Don't let anyone give you any crap, Carlino. We don't call single case transferers nor serial tranferers the q word anymore.



Good luck in the NBA. I'm sure some college coach out there will see your true greatness and let you run free, unabated by coaches who never gave you a real chance at PG stardom. :roll:



On a more positive note, great job getting your degree.

I do like Carlino. Wasn't wild about his wildness. But wish him well.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Gunk wrote:
Looks legit: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29303768&nid=498&title=byus-carlino-transferring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Best of luck to you MC and appreciate the effort. While I know there were a lot of critics of your play, I for one enjoyed watching you play.



We now have an issue at PG, though.


What issues do we have at Pleasant Grove?
M
mizzoucoug
He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team is that he gets blamed for not being better. In all honesty this is actually a poor basketball team the last 2 years. There are major holes and a serious lack of D1 talent at multiple positions. It's a miracle they went dancing this season. Matt was one of the players who COULD change a game. The problem is that too often he did change a game in the wrong direction.
M
Metal Bubba
Isn't he graduating? So maybe he wants to go to graduate school where they have a program he's interested in that BYU doesn't have.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
All I can say is that I'm not surprised, but this is not the way I wanted the scholie crunch solved, nor to I imagine Rose did. MC would have been a significant contributor next season and I don't know that we have someone to step in and give us that same output. Sure, there were things that were very agrivating about his play and slumps, but overall, he was a valued Cougar.



Good luck Matt. :)
G
Guest
mizzoucoug wrote:
He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team that he gets blamed for not being better.


I think this is a fair statement, I think that's what made Carlino such a polarizing player, some fans saw the flashes and were mad at him that he couldn't do that all the time while other fans saw those flashes and acted as if he did play at that level all the time. And then of course there were the CougarCorner fans, who were for the most part pretty even-keeled and accurate in their assessment of his play.



Either way, nothing but the best to him going forward. I hope he finds another high octane offense like BYU where he can excel.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
HoosierCougar wrote:
I believe this will only technically be his 3rd school.



He committed to Indiana out of HS but never enrolled, decommitted,

enrolled at UCLA, had issues,

transferred to BYU,

and now to the next stop, where I wish him well.



Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!


Was never content in High School either. Moved halfway across the country to put himself in what he felt was a better situation for HIS own success.



Who knows what went on behind the scenes. The Dave Rose quote the day before the announcement sounded like Matt was told that he will continue to come off the bench. Who knows if the no schollie for graduated players issue came up like it did in football. No new school has been announced. Sounds like a knee perk reaction to something caused him to act upon feelings that have been building up. I will not call him a quitter if he was asked to return without a schollie, but otherwise - yeah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
I believe this will only technically be his 3rd school.



He committed to Indiana out of HS but never enrolled, decommitted,

enrolled at UCLA, had issues,

transferred to BYU,

and now to the next stop, where I wish him well.



Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!


Was never content in High School either. Moved halfway across the country to put himself in what he felt was a better situation for HIS own success.



Who knows what went on behind the scenes. The Dave Rose quote the day before the announcement sounded like Matt was told that he will continue to come off the bench. Who knows if the no schollie for graduated players issue came up like it did in football. No new school has been announced. Sounds like a knee perk reaction to something caused him to act upon feelings that have been building up. I will not call him a quitter if he was asked to return without a schollie, but otherwise - yeah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What if he legitimately wanted to go to grad school somewhere else?



Guy certainly moves around. But I think all of us are guilty of looking to put ourselves in situations that are the best for us. I think may be a case of not being content with what he has.



No school may not be announced because he hasn't gotten accepted into a graduate school yet. There may a few schools on his list and then whether those schools have a spot on their roster or not is another question.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team that he gets blamed for not being better. In all honesty this is actually a poor basketball team the last 2 years. There are major holes and a serious lack of D1 talent at multiple positions. It's a miracle they went dancing this season. Matt was one of the players who COULD change a game. The problem is that too often he did change a game in the wrong direction.


There is a huge space between great and poor. You might want to look into that and make more credible comments.



Poor teams do not beat Stanford and Texas away, Gonzaga in Provo, SEC home and away, USA home, away, and neutral, take Oregon to OT on the road, put 2 players on All WCC with a 3rd honorable mention and a WCC all- freshman, WCC player of the year, play teams like Iowa State, UMASS, and Wichita State with a chance to win and finish with a high RPI.



BYU was not a great team. They were much further, however, from being a poor team.



However great or poor a team BYU was, Carlino was obviously viewed as less than Haws and KC by WCC coaches. IMHO, Carlino was the 4th best player on the team - maybe 3rd.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team that he gets blamed for not being better.


I think this is a fair statement, I think that's what made Carlino such a polarizing player, some fans saw the flashes and were mad at him that he couldn't do that all the time while other fans saw those flashes and acted as if he did play at that level all the time. And then of course there were the CougarCorner fans, who were for the most part pretty even-keeled and accurate in their assessment of his play.



Either way, nothing but the best to him going forward. I hope he finds another high octane offense like BYU where he can excel.


Bad team? Really?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
HoosierCougar wrote:
I believe this will only technically be his 3rd school.



He committed to Indiana out of HS but never enrolled, decommitted,

enrolled at UCLA, had issues,

transferred to BYU,

and now to the next stop, where I wish him well.



Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!


Was never content in High School either. Moved halfway across the country to put himself in what he felt was a better situation for HIS own success.



Who knows what went on behind the scenes. The Dave Rose quote the day before the announcement sounded like Matt was told that he will continue to come off the bench. Who knows if the no schollie for graduated players issue came up like it did in football. No new school has been announced. Sounds like a knee perk reaction to something caused him to act upon feelings that have been building up. I will not call him a quitter if he was asked to return without a schollie, but otherwise - yeah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What if he legitimately wanted to go to grad school somewhere else?



Guy certainly moves around. But I think all of us are guilty of looking to put ourselves in situations that are the best for us. I think may be a case of not being content with what he has.



No school may not be announced because he hasn't gotten accepted into a graduate school yet. There may a few schools on his list and then whether those schools have a spot on their roster or not is another question.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'd never fault a guy for seeking a good educational situation for himself. It's clear Carlino will not make it to the NBA so he can and should be looking to further his education in a way that will help him succeed for the rest of his life. I have absolutely no problem with that.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.