Archived Topic

JWilliams pleads not guilty of underage drinking

by Cougs_Rule · 3/23/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
BYU football: Williams pleads not guilty to underage drinking charge http://ow.ly/2EYjGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



So much for a quiet spring camp.

I'm hopeful that bc charges were pressed in Feb that this has been resolved with coaching staff and Hc office.

Had any of you seen this previously. New to me.
C
Cougs_Rule
I wonder if the alleged incident occurred about the same time BYU was announcing that there will be no more HC office announcements.
C
craigoscarson
He's very close to Bronco. If this were a problem JW would not be in spring ball.
M
Mars
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Had any of you seen this previously. New to me.

It kinda blew up twitter last night. Hopefully taken care of by now. Good kid, bad choice, but not a DUI or anything like that.
S
SpiffCoug
He wasn't charged. I'm guessing he didn't fall a sobriety test. And they may not even have smelled on his breath. So he may not even have been drinking but was with someone who was. I'm guessing Bronco knows and knew about it. If something was going to happen it would have.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
He wasn't charged. I'm guessing he didn't fall a sobriety test. And they may not even have smelled on his breath. So he may not even have been drinking but was with someone who was. I'm guessing Bronco knows and knew about it. If something was going to happen it would have.


How could he plead not guilty if he wasn't charged?
S
scott715
I heard it happened in February. Not sure what the facts are. It sounds pretty confusing. Maybe it is nothing.
C
craigoscarson
vancouvercougar wrote:
He wasn't charged. I'm guessing he didn't fall a sobriety test. And they may not even have smelled on his breath. So he may not even have been drinking but was with someone who was. I'm guessing Bronco knows and knew about it. If something was going to happen it would have.


How could he plead not guilty if he wasn't charged?


It appears there had to have been a charge. However he's still in spring ball and in classes.. not sure what to make of that, but not panicking.



If I were to venture a guess, he was hanging with some people in the vicinity of alcohol.. IDs were taken, police didn't arrest and loosely gathered evidence, cited them all and JW had some explaining to do to Bronco. Bronco says "pick better friends and get an attorney to clear you" end of story. (or maybe this is just what I'm hoping happened.)
H
HoosierCougar
I agree with the assessment that if this were unresolved, JW would not be in spring ball.



So either it is resolved, or it is being resolved between BM and JW to BMs satisfaction.



Two instances for comparison:

1) Recall that when Cody Hoffman was suspended, BM talked about how once something is discovered, there's usually a pattern (i.e. not the first time) and significant action needs to be taken to reverse course.

2) After Shiloah Te'o got busted for DUI, then lied about it, he was dismissed when the truth came out.



I agree with Craig, it appears Bronco is resolving the issue internally.
C
Cougarbib
The OP had a link to the article. The incident was in February. It involved a car. Williams was a passenger in the car. The driver was cited for speeding - but not alcohol. The driver was also underage, but not cited for underage drinking. Most likely, the driver was not drinking. It is not clear if there were other passengers besides JW.



It seems that charges were filed because he was arrested, taken to the jail, immediately released without bail, had at least one court appearance where he plead not guilty, and a continuance was issued for the next step in May. The legal process is not complete.



JW is practicing and still in school. That would indicate to me, that the offense either does not warrant suspension, or that JW has denied drinking, and BYU is operating under innocent until proven guilty.



Hopefully JW has learned something here. Hopefully he will choose to not even be around alcohol in the future.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
This is a legal issue, which is something BYU said they would comment on. I expect we'll hear something brief after practice today.



Shiloh Teo was a repeat offender and then lied about it. Also, Teo had a much more severe charge and Bronco heard about it from a different source.



The only way this blows up is if this is the first Bronco has heard about it.
S
snoscythe
Incident took place February 16th.



BYU made the announcement they would no longer disclose Honor Code violations on February 25th.



This morning, BYU spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins confirmed Jamaal Williams is a student at BYU.



Well done, BYU. Well done.
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
This is a legal issue, which is something BYU said they would comment on. I expect we'll hear something brief after practice today.



Shiloh Teo was a repeat offender and then lied about it. Also, Teo had a much more severe charge and Bronco heard about it from a different source.



The only way this blows up is if this is the first Bronco has heard about it.


BYU said they will only comment if it comes to public attention. This did not come to public attention, initially. Eventually, it did. So, they may or may not comment. But, if this had occurred in Alaska, and remained off the public radar, they would not comment.



If this were an offense that would get him booted from school, he would not be practicing. If it is more of a Spencer Hadley offense, Bronco most likely has laid out some near term and long term expectations and steps to get fully back into good standing and might yet, announce a suspension for a game or two or three. And, if he does announce the suspension, may or may not mention the arrest.



The public scrutiny is not over. Eventually, charges will be dropped, a plea bargain will occur, or it will go to trial and he will be found guilty or innocent - or a mistrial - retrial. Expect media coverage after every court appearance accompanied by obnoxious troll comments attached to Trib, Deseret News, and Herald articles. Details may emerge in those articles as evidence is presented.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
Incident took place February 16th.



BYU made the announcement they would no longer disclose Honor Code violations on February 25th.



This morning, BYU spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins confirmed Jamaal Williams is a student at BYU.



Well done, BYU. Well done.


Carrie and BYU are learning.
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
Incident took place February 16th.



BYU made the announcement they would no longer disclose Honor Code violations on February 25th.



This morning, BYU spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins confirmed Jamaal Williams is a student at BYU.



Well done, BYU. Well done.


Carrie and BYU are learning.


Details were just announced on BYU TV by - not Blaine Fowler - the main guy on the BYU Sports Update show. Same details already reported in the newspaper. Dave McCann.
Advertisement
Y
Yndian
Per Jay Drew's Twitter today:


Bronco on Jamaal Williams' arrest: "It has been addressed so long ago now between he and I that I don't intend to address it again."

"He is in great standing with our program. Was, and is now, and will be going forward."

Bronco on when he learned of Jamaal Williams' arrest: "Don't know when, don't know how." Said it was "long ago."

When a reporter asked about asking a follow-up question re: Williams, Bronco said: "There is no follow-up. I've already answered it."
G
Guest
Yndian wrote:
Per Jay Drew's Twitter today:


Bronco on Jamaal Williams' arrest: "It has been addressed so long ago now between he and I that I don't intend to address it again."

"He is in great standing with our program. Was, and is now, and will be going forward."

Bronco on when he learned of Jamaal Williams' arrest: "Don't know when, don't know how." Said it was "long ago."

When a reporter asked about asking a follow-up question re: Williams, Bronco said: "There is no follow-up. I've already answered it."


Good answers by Bronco.
C
Cougarbib
It was awkward IMHO when I watched the video. Too bad that we end up judging how the administration handles a situation more critically than the person who made the mistake or broke the law. There is not good way to handle it. I think restating the already public facts and then "No Comment" when they dug for more would have been better than stating falsehoods flippantly - I don't know how or when I heard.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
National sources reported that JW and one more passenger were in a car being driven by a designated sober driver. They claim JW blew a .12 blood alcohol and was arrested and released without bail.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
Too bad that we end up judging how the administration handles a situation more critically than the person who made the mistake or broke the law.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Are you saying we should be "judging" the players and mistakes more than the administration office? :skeptic:



It's none of my business what Jamal Williams does on the weekend nor the mistakes he makes. I've certainly made plenty in my life and wouldn't want them aired out on the national news.



We also live in a country where one is innocent till proven guilty. Williams has said he's innocent. Let the courts judge whether he is or isn't. And even then, you won't see me picking up any stones for a minor mistake a teenager made in his youth.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.