Archived Topic

Jake

by sage · 3/21/2014

Advertisement
S
sage
Now everyone. Don't whine and cry about beating this dead, dead horse. I agree. I really am past all the hype. But since it is now the off season, and only spring ball is happening, I was curious how Mr. Heaps did this year. Just curiosity, not fanhood. So just FYI, here are his numbers this year.



Jake Heaps

128 of 261for 1414 yds 49.0% 5.42 ypa with a 77yd longest. 8 TD/10 pics 23sacks with a 97.0 rating. A raw qp rating of 18.9 and the adj qb rating of 23.1.



Taysom Hill

236 of 438 for 2938 yds 53.9% 6.71 ypa with a 60y longest. 19 TD/ 14pics 37sacks with a 118.2 rating. A raw rating of 59.4 and the adj qp rating of 66.8



Adj rating 50 is average for the nation with the quality of defense figured in. All numbers from espn.



Looks like him moving on has certainly benefited us. I hope and wish he would do better, but it doesn't seem like it is in him. But, I never watched one of his games, and I do watch all of Taysom's that I can.
G
Guest
I hope he finds happiness and success in life in all his future endeavors.
J
jonnylingo
sage wrote:
Now everyone. Don't whine and cry about beating this dead, dead horse. I agree. I really am past all the hype. But since it is now the off season, and only spring ball is happening, I was curious how Mr. Heaps did this year. Just curiosity, not fanhood. So just FYI, here are his numbers this year.



Jake Heaps

128 of 261for 1414 yds 49.0% 5.42 ypa with a 77yd longest. 8 TD/10 pics 23sacks with a 97.0 rating. A raw qp rating of 18.9 and the adj qb rating of 23.1.



Taysom Hill

236 of 438 for 2938 yds 53.9% 6.71 ypa with a 60y longest. 19 TD/ 14pics 37sacks with a 118.2 rating. A raw rating of 59.4 and the adj qp rating of 66.8



Adj rating 50 is average for the nation with the quality of defense figured in. All numbers from espn.



Looks like him moving on has certainly benefited us. I hope and wish he would do better, but it doesn't seem like it is in him. But, I never watched one of his games, and I do watch all of Taysom's that I can.


My response to this is that Riley Nelson is the devil.
S
SpiffCoug
Jake chose to leave a bad of the field situation for himself for a worse in the field situation.



I wish him the best whatever he chooses to do once his playing days are over - which will likely be after this season.
S
stuckinbig10country
Still don't know why he picked Kansas...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
It's kind of like when something picks you. ;-)
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
I hope he finds happiness and success in life in all his future endeavors.


THe fact that you have to even state this is conspicuous. I bet you can't say that about me. :D
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I hope he finds happiness and success in life in all his future endeavors.


THe fact that you have to even state this is conspicuous. I bet you can't say that about me. :D


Not true, I hope you find all the success and happiness you can! I love you, man.
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Still don't know why he picked Kansas...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He went where he was recruited.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Still don't know why he picked Kansas...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He went where he was recruited.


He got Chuck Weiss confused with Charlie Norris.



More seriously

Charlie Weiss recruited Jake Heaps and Dane Cryst when Charlie was the ND head coach. Both were highly touted. Cryst fizzled at ND while Jake chose to fizzle at BYU. Weiss was believed by some to be a QB guru.



Weiss got fired and eventually ended up at KU, and promptly rounded up Cryst and Heaps to come flounder under his tutelage.



That is how Jake ended up with Dorothy, Toto, and the Weiss of Oz in Kansas.



Oops ....getting too many great pretenders mixed in 1 story.



Heaps should have gone with Chuck Norris - learned to be tough and gritty.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
If you listen to the latest Brandon Doman interview on Jockularity (sp?) - a refreshingly honest Doman indicates that Heap's lack of humility and unwillingness to have patience and earn the trust of the players led to his demise. Roman never believed he should have started as a freshman and some success gave the false illusion that he had the backing of the players. Not sure what happened in KS other than more off the same - does not make plays under defensive pressure and gets rattled easily which leads to hurried throws and lack of poise behind center. a healthy Riley always gave the team a chance to win because of his leadership and confidence and support of OL. He inspired confidence while Jake never really fully achieved that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Too bad Rileys "legacy" will and can only be measured against Jake as his arch rival and one of the biggest dissappointments BYU QBs long history.
C
Cougarbib
Riley has this legacy:



BYU was on the verge of losing to USU in Provo after losing to USU the prior year in Logan and while already being in a losing streak to the Utes. USU was re surging as Utah did under Meyer.



Riley Nelson saved the BYU Football Program from suffering a loss that would have further hurt recruiting for several years or that could have started a downward spiral with even longer term consequences.



That is his legacy. Not much else other than rarely being healthy and being average when healthy. Because Heaps never lived up to his own hype and BYU, therefore never lived up to fan expectations, Riley took the hit because he could not lead the team to meet those lofty expectations - even though nobody ever really expected much out of Riley. His legacy became that he was in the way of and undermined the great one. Problem is, the great one was not even good, and Riley saved BYU from the brink of disaster when the great one had led the team right to the brink.



My inside sources on the 2010, team had told me this and I got flamed for sharing that information here.



I will go listen to the interview. I am wondering how clear Brandon was about who made him start Heaps. Ironically, most posters speculated that Doman wanted Heaps and that Anae made him pick Nelson. A few blamed Bronco for making Doman play Nelson. As years passed by, Bronco continued to get blamed for making Doman play Riley.
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
If you listen to the latest Brandon Doman interview on Jockularity (sp?) - a refreshingly honest Doman indicates that Heap's lack of humility and unwillingness to have patience and earn the trust of the players led to his demise. Roman never believed he should have started as a freshman and some success gave the false illusion that he had the backing of the players. Not sure what happened in KS other than more off the same - does not make plays under defensive pressure and gets rattled easily which leads to hurried throws and lack of poise behind center. a healthy Riley always gave the team a chance to win because of his leadership and confidence and support of OL. He inspired confidence while Jake never really fully achieved that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What happened/happening in KS is that he wen to a bad team that has even less talent to play with than he had at BYU.
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Still don't know why he picked Kansas...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He went where he was recruited.


He got Chuck Weiss confused with Charlie Norris.



More seriously

Charlie Weiss recruited Jake Heaps and Dane Cryst when Charlie was the ND head coach. Both were highly touted. Cryst fizzled at ND while Jake chose to fizzle at BYU. Weiss was believed by some to be a QB guru.



Weiss got fired and eventually ended up at KU, and promptly rounded up Cryst and Heaps to come flounder under his tutelage.



That is how Jake ended up with Dorothy, Toto, and the Weiss of Oz in Kansas.



Oops ....getting too many great pretenders mixed in 1 story.



Heaps should have gone with Chuck Norris - learned to be tough and gritty.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


do you think if Heaps had had a better option than Weiss and Kansas that he would have taken it? Me too.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
Riley has this legacy:



BYU was on the verge of losing to USU in Provo after losing to USU the prior year in Logan and while already being in a losing streak to the Utes. USU was re surging as Utah did under Meyer.



Riley Nelson saved the BYU Football Program from suffering a loss that would have further hurt recruiting for several years or that could have started a downward spiral with even longer term consequences.



That is his legacy. Not much else other than rarely being healthy and being average when healthy. Because Heaps never lived up to his own hype and BYU, therefore never lived up to fan expectations, Riley took the hit because he could not lead the team to meet those lofty expectations - even though nobody ever really expected much out of Riley. His legacy became that he was in the way of and undermined the great one. Problem is, the great one was not even good, and Riley saved BYU from the brink of disaster when the great one had led the team right to the brink.



My inside sources on the 2010, team had told me this and I got flamed for sharing that information here.



I will go listen to the interview. I am wondering how clear Brandon was about who made him start Heaps. Ironically, most posters speculated that Doman wanted Heaps and that Anae made him pick Nelson. A few blamed Bronco for making Doman play Nelson. As years passed by, Bronco continued to get blamed for making Doman play Riley.


Doman said in the interview that if he had it to do all over again, he would stand on a table and shout that we should never start a freshman at BYU. He says that was the biggest mistake they made wit heaps and that it was "everyone's" decision to do the 2QB experiment in 10.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib wrote:
Riley has this legacy:



BYU was on the verge of losing to USU in Provo after losing to USU the prior year in Logan and while already being in a losing streak to the Utes. USU was re surging as Utah did under Meyer.



Riley Nelson saved the BYU Football Program from suffering a loss that would have further hurt recruiting for several years or that could have started a downward spiral with even longer term consequences.



That is his legacy. Not much else other than rarely being healthy and being average when healthy. Because Heaps never lived up to his own hype and BYU, therefore never lived up to fan expectations, Riley took the hit because he could not lead the team to meet those lofty expectations - even though nobody ever really expected much out of Riley. His legacy became that he was in the way of and undermined the great one. Problem is, the great one was not even good, and Riley saved BYU from the brink of disaster when the great one had led the team right to the brink.



My inside sources on the 2010, team had told me this and I got flamed for sharing that information here.



I will go listen to the interview. I am wondering how clear Brandon was about who made him start Heaps. Ironically, most posters speculated that Doman wanted Heaps and that Anae made him pick Nelson. A few blamed Bronco for making Doman play Nelson. As years passed by, Bronco continued to get blamed for making Doman play Riley.

That said, I wonder how many potential wins that USU win cost us. Clearly USU made Riley a solid choice for the QB position, but had the team spent more time developing Lark, we probbaly beat BSU and even Utah in 2012. We might have even beat Notre Dame in 12 too, but Nelson played well that game, so I'd just limit my "could have been" to Utah and BSU. So the qustion is was it worth tradign a dramatic come-from behind 2011 victory over USU for close losses to Utah and BSU in 2012, where a decent QB would have resulted in a win?
G
Guest
ABYUFAN wrote:
Riley has this legacy:



BYU was on the verge of losing to USU in Provo after losing to USU the prior year in Logan and while already being in a losing streak to the Utes. USU was re surging as Utah did under Meyer.



Riley Nelson saved the BYU Football Program from suffering a loss that would have further hurt recruiting for several years or that could have started a downward spiral with even longer term consequences.



That is his legacy. Not much else other than rarely being healthy and being average when healthy. Because Heaps never lived up to his own hype and BYU, therefore never lived up to fan expectations, Riley took the hit because he could not lead the team to meet those lofty expectations - even though nobody ever really expected much out of Riley. His legacy became that he was in the way of and undermined the great one. Problem is, the great one was not even good, and Riley saved BYU from the brink of disaster when the great one had led the team right to the brink.



My inside sources on the 2010, team had told me this and I got flamed for sharing that information here.



I will go listen to the interview. I am wondering how clear Brandon was about who made him start Heaps. Ironically, most posters speculated that Doman wanted Heaps and that Anae made him pick Nelson. A few blamed Bronco for making Doman play Nelson. As years passed by, Bronco continued to get blamed for making Doman play Riley.

That said, I wonder how many potential wins that USU win cost us. Clearly USU made Riley a solid choice for the QB position, but had the team spent more time developing Lark, we probbaly beat BSU and even Utah in 2012. We might have even beat Notre Dame in 12 too, but Nelson played well that game, so I'd just limit my "could have been" to Utah and BSU. So the qustion is was it worth tradign a dramatic come-from behind 2011 victory over USU for close losses to Utah and BSU in 2012, where a decent QB would have resulted in a win?


I don't know that I agree, I have reviewed Lark's starts multiple times, and frankly he wasn't very good and my personal belief is that he wouldn't have been able to win any other games. I think a great deal of Lark's popularity and perceived ability comes from the fact that he is not Riley Nelson or Jake Heaps.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
Riley has this legacy:



BYU was on the verge of losing to USU in Provo after losing to USU the prior year in Logan and while already being in a losing streak to the Utes. USU was re surging as Utah did under Meyer.



Riley Nelson saved the BYU Football Program from suffering a loss that would have further hurt recruiting for several years or that could have started a downward spiral with even longer term consequences.



That is his legacy. Not much else other than rarely being healthy and being average when healthy. Because Heaps never lived up to his own hype and BYU, therefore never lived up to fan expectations, Riley took the hit because he could not lead the team to meet those lofty expectations - even though nobody ever really expected much out of Riley. His legacy became that he was in the way of and undermined the great one. Problem is, the great one was not even good, and Riley saved BYU from the brink of disaster when the great one had led the team right to the brink.



My inside sources on the 2010, team had told me this and I got flamed for sharing that information here.



I will go listen to the interview. I am wondering how clear Brandon was about who made him start Heaps. Ironically, most posters speculated that Doman wanted Heaps and that Anae made him pick Nelson. A few blamed Bronco for making Doman play Nelson. As years passed by, Bronco continued to get blamed for making Doman play Riley.

That said, I wonder how many potential wins that USU win cost us. Clearly USU made Riley a solid choice for the QB position, but had the team spent more time developing Lark, we probbaly beat BSU and even Utah in 2012. We might have even beat Notre Dame in 12 too, but Nelson played well that game, so I'd just limit my "could have been" to Utah and BSU. So the qustion is was it worth tradign a dramatic come-from behind 2011 victory over USU for close losses to Utah and BSU in 2012, where a decent QB would have resulted in a win?


I don't know that I agree, I have reviewed Lark's starts multiple times, and frankly he wasn't very good and my personal belief is that he wouldn't have been able to win any other games. I think a great deal of Lark's popularity and perceived ability comes from the fact that he is not Riley Nelson or Jake Heaps.

There's plenty of room for disagreement on this; however, Nelson gave BSU 6 point (seven if you include the extra point, and almost gave them another7, and I don't think Lark gives them that. utah also was similar, Nelson's Int. led directly to 3 utah points, and the "fumbled" snap that went right by him gave utah 7 more points. Again, an "average" QB (not even an average BYU QB), would not have had the disastrous plays that we got from Nelson, and allowed the team to win those games. I consider Lark to be “average.” Nelson was both spectacular, and disastrous. Spectacular can occasionally win games, Disastrous almost always looses them
G
Guest
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Riley has this legacy:



BYU was on the verge of losing to USU in Provo after losing to USU the prior year in Logan and while already being in a losing streak to the Utes. USU was re surging as Utah did under Meyer.



Riley Nelson saved the BYU Football Program from suffering a loss that would have further hurt recruiting for several years or that could have started a downward spiral with even longer term consequences.



That is his legacy. Not much else other than rarely being healthy and being average when healthy. Because Heaps never lived up to his own hype and BYU, therefore never lived up to fan expectations, Riley took the hit because he could not lead the team to meet those lofty expectations - even though nobody ever really expected much out of Riley. His legacy became that he was in the way of and undermined the great one. Problem is, the great one was not even good, and Riley saved BYU from the brink of disaster when the great one had led the team right to the brink.



My inside sources on the 2010, team had told me this and I got flamed for sharing that information here.



I will go listen to the interview. I am wondering how clear Brandon was about who made him start Heaps. Ironically, most posters speculated that Doman wanted Heaps and that Anae made him pick Nelson. A few blamed Bronco for making Doman play Nelson. As years passed by, Bronco continued to get blamed for making Doman play Riley.

That said, I wonder how many potential wins that USU win cost us. Clearly USU made Riley a solid choice for the QB position, but had the team spent more time developing Lark, we probbaly beat BSU and even Utah in 2012. We might have even beat Notre Dame in 12 too, but Nelson played well that game, so I'd just limit my "could have been" to Utah and BSU. So the qustion is was it worth tradign a dramatic come-from behind 2011 victory over USU for close losses to Utah and BSU in 2012, where a decent QB would have resulted in a win?


I don't know that I agree, I have reviewed Lark's starts multiple times, and frankly he wasn't very good and my personal belief is that he wouldn't have been able to win any other games. I think a great deal of Lark's popularity and perceived ability comes from the fact that he is not Riley Nelson or Jake Heaps.

There's plenty of room for disagreement on this; however, Nelson gave BSU 6 point (seven if you include the extra point, and almost gave them another7, and I don't think Lark gives them that. utah also was similar, Nelson's Int. led directly to 3 utah points, and the "fumbled" snap that went right by him gave utah 7 more points. Again, an "average" QB (not even an average BYU QB), would not have had the disastrous plays that we got from Nelson, and allowed the team to win those games. I consider Lark to be “average.” Nelson was both spectacular, and disastrous. Spectacular can occasionally win games, Disastrous almost always looses them


Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree here, I don't think Lark would have even been playing in either of those games, because he would have been out injured. But of the 2 games that could have swung the other way, these are the best examples, I just don't believe that he would have been enough to turn the tide. BYU fans can disagree and still respect each others opinions.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.