Archived Topic

This "zone defense" is unwatchable.

by Brayden Green · 3/20/2014

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I honestly can't watch another season of this "zone."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CrimsonCoug
Mika's defense needs work beyond 4 feet under the hoop.

But yeah, leaving open holes in the middle of the floor as a no-man's land in assignment zone is tough to stomach. Doesn't help that Oregon is shooting nearly 70% in the second half.
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I honestly can't watch another season of this "zone."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


How about this "defense"?
B
BroncoBot
CrimsonCoug wrote:
Mika's defense needs work beyond 4 feet under the hoop.

But yeah, leaving open holes in the middle of the floor as a no-man's land in assignment zone is tough to stomach. Doesn't help that Oregon is shooting nearly 70% in the second half.

Oregon, USF and Gonzaga all used the high post/ high-low game with GREAT success. It's always been a soft spot of any zone defense and if you have someone who knows how to distribute or can knock down a 12-15 footer (like Olynyk from Gonzaga), you can get a lot of easy points.



Zone sucks. I wish BYU had athletes to play man.
G
Gunk
There was no semblance of a defense today. I hope the team takes the off season to learn how to play defense. Seriously. No excuse. You come back within 3 and then 2 min later you down by 12 again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
It's really kind of strange. Past years, zone was probably our best defense. But when you have Halford, Haws, and Mika on the floor at the same time, you have to play zone. None of those players can guard their shadow man to man.
B
beauso79
So how does Rose fix this problem? Because he obviously doesn't know how to coach a decent defense or just plans on trying to out score everyone. I hope it's obvious to him that things need to change in a hurry
S
stuckinbig10country
Actually, based on number of possessions in a game due to the speed with which BYU plays, Rose's teams outside of this one are efficient defensively.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
beauso79 wrote:
So how does Rose fix this problem? Because he obviously doesn't know how to coach a decent defense or just plans on trying to out score everyone. I hope it's obvious to him that things need to change in a hurry


He needs to try and recruit athletes who commit to playing D. It's obvious now that it's not a priority. And as I said all season, if this team isn't playing man to man then they're not serious about winning because nothing I ever saw was worse than that zone D. I truly believe that some very good high schools could have put up 60 on it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.