Archived Topic

To the Mods

by sage · 3/17/2014

Advertisement
S
sage

by craigoscarson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:49 pm



1. Every game is important



2. No matter what argument he makes... the NCAA selection committee has spoken and they say he's wrong...



3. He's a BYU hater, nothing that comes out of him and his tin foil hat is going to be remotely objective



4. He doesn't belong here and I put forth that he should have been banned long ago and he had used up his get out of jail cards long ago.. renaming yourself doesn't matter, Airwolf was banned (more than once)... I don't care if you change your name to Chuck Norris, you still aren't welcome here IMHO. Trolling behavior is trolling behavior.. you offer nothing that benefits BYU fandom or the BYU athletic dept.


I agree. We didn't need airwolf and we don't need this name change Wolfie. I love good intelligent sports talk. This is not it.
S
sage
And I quote:


by IowaCougar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 am

One of the things I've always enjoyed about this forum is that it's relatively free from abuse. It has become virtually impossible to carry on any kind of discussion on the ESPN website regarding anything having to do with BYU sports because of one troll who must have nothing else in his life, because he spends all of his time making inane, bigoted comments. I'm amazed that he hasnt' been banned from commenting there.



Although it's fine to have differences in opinion, when those "opinions" are nothing more than bigotry masked as sports comments, they become intolerable. I don't think Wolfie has fallen to that level, but it is clear that there is a consistent negative viewpoint. Fans are supposed to support teams, not tear them down.



Back to the game - I do think that it will be difficult without KC. But if everyone plays up to their ability and keeps their heads, they could pull it off.
H
HoosierCougar
I don't care whether Wolfie is banned or not. I have him on ignore. This is working just fine for me.



Ignore isn't perfect, others will respond to him. But I can quickly see whether he's been quoted and then skim past. While I don't read or respond to his posts, I don't begrudge others engaging him.



It would be the stuff of a good sitcom if everyone had him on ignore and his posts went unreplied to. I imagine it would also prove a good sociology study: how long can trolls go without being fed?
C
Cougarbib
Most of what Wolfman posts is accurate and objective - but selective at times - thus one sided at times. There is a fine line between a realist and a Troll. Both can be annoying. I believe that Wolfman would admit that he is not a BYU fan.



Lately, Wolfman has been very sloppy in what he posts and thus, not just one-sided, but WRONG and one sided in quoting misinformation.



We are all capable of getting our facts screwed up, but Wolfman has been very sloppy compared to recent past.



I would guess that the resurgent Utes, and they are making a comeback under a good coach, probably gave Wolfman early hope with that cupcake schedule. The loss to BSU in the first road game and legitimate test, did not give him enough pause. He read too much into the HOME victory Vs BYU - not realizing BYU is 16 points worse on the road than they are at home - and then the reality of going .500 in PAC - and being 1 loss away from 10th place, and out of any conference championship discussion again and out of any NCAA discussion again - and NIT bound with BYU Dancing - well, he is scrambling for something to say.



With Kyle Collinsworth, that 16 point average margin swing home vs away indicates BYU would blow away the Ducks in Provo and beat them on a neutral court. Without KC - tough challenge.



And, if Saint Mary's beats U in their tiny little gym - Wolfman will still be spinning and spinning and spinning to find some way to beat BYU down and feel better about himself.



Realist View

BYU lost to several very good - excellent - teams because they played all but 1 of those games ON THE ROAD - away or neutral: Wichita State - currently undefeated, Massachusetts, Gonzaga, Gonzaga, and Oregon in OT. BYU was competitive in all of these games.

BYU was 1-1 Vs very good - excellent teams in Provo: Gonzaga - WCC Champion. Iowa State - Big 12 Champion.

BYU beat a number of good - very good teams at home and on the road: USF and Saint Mary's. Texas. Stanford.

BYU beat several decent teams and played only 4 garbage games.

BYU lost 5 games ON THE ROAD Vs mediocre to poor teams: Utah, Pepperdine, Pacific, LMU, and Portland.



BYU will be hurt by the loss of Kyle Collinsworth.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Knowing how to handle situations like these are not something I or the other mods take lightly. In fact, it's one of the reasons why I started the leadership council. So, we could get some feedback from long time users.



Ultimately, this site belongs to the users who post here, if it doesn't fulfill their needs they will find another place that will. I truly want this to be 'the place' for the best BYU fans.



With that being said, what we should do about Wolfie is a bit of a question. On the one hand, he does troll, and when he's not trolling, he's certainly looking for the negative when it comes to BYU. Trolling is not allowed, and he has been banned in the past. He is currently, against the rules, avoiding that ban. But the question is, should a ban like that be permanent? Should there ever be a time when someone can come back, hopefully as a changed and better person? Is that even Airwolf? I doubt it, I don't personally believe that he has any interest in the truth, but solely posts to get a rise out of BYU fans. He will use the truth or lies in order to do that. On the other hand, we do get some interesting statistically insights into BYU that we may not have gotten if we hadn't had to prove he was wrong or lying.



This is the thought process that's going through my head.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Airwolf84 is a troll no matter what his current name is. Even when he is being "objective" he isn't being objective. He never has a positive word about BYU, it is negative all the time. I don't respond to ANYTHING that he has to say because I know it is only going to irritate me if I do. I have encouraged others to not respond to him. If we don't have the guts to ban him and all of his alias' then it is left up to the posters to ignore him. he will go away if no one responds to his nonsense.
G
Guest
After careful consideration and discussion with the Leadership Council and all of you (and I mean that, these discussions have been going on for over a week) I've decided to ban Wolfie, but I do feel like there may be a need for a person who's been banned to be able to make amends and come back, even if it means the majority of site users need to vote to allow them back. Whether or not Airwolf wants to pursue this or not, I don't know, but he can contact me via the website if he is so inclined.
C
Cougarbib
It is not always nonsense and he does on occasion throw in a positive. But he is not a BYU Fan - that is for sure.



He does bring good data on occasion. Lately, he has been sloppy about his facts.



As long as he is respectful and factual - I do not see the harm. If the vitriol and name calling starts up - or if his facts continue to be wrong, suspend, ban, or whatever.



If others start the vitriol, suspend them.



We have had fans of other programs come on here and add value. Wolfman might want to focus on that objective - add some value with every comment.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
I was thinking that this was the nicest incarnation of the old Airwolf84. He was actually saying some positive things lately about the program.



I know I've attacked people in a way that should have gotten me a direct warning from the mods, but they've let it slide for me. I don't know that the most recent dust up was about, but he was less annoying than before in my opinion.
1
1967cougar
Thank you, Hawk. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:

As long as he is respectful and factual - I do not see the harm. If the vitriol and name calling starts up - or if his facts continue to be wrong, suspend, ban, or whatever.



If others start the vitriol, suspend them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Tend to lean this way as well.



I get people's distaste for Wolf's posts, but as long as he isn't name calling or being disrespectful I don't see why he can't participate in the forum.



At the same time, it's rather obvious Wolf gets more satisfaction out of stirring up controversy over following the team. If regularly disappointed in BYU, why participate on a forum for people who are fans. Suppose the answer to that question would be because such a person is a troll.



But what about visitors from other teams? Should an Oregon fan show up this week and engage in a civil conversation albeit anti-BYU conversation, would that mean they were a troll?



Suppose it has to do with motivation. If the purpose of the participation is to incite outrage or to get a reaction from the forum then I guess that qualifies as a troll.
S
Stirfry
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I was thinking that this was the nicest incarnation of the old Airwolf84. He was actually saying some positive things lately about the program.



I know I've attacked people in a way that should have gotten me a direct warning from the mods, but they've let it slide for me. I don't know that the most recent dust up was about, but he was less annoying than before in my opinion.


I wouldn't call Wolfman a troll. He did provide a voice of reason, a glass half empty voice of reason, but reason after all. I feel like he does add to the conversation most of the time. If he's a troll his heart isn't in it most of the time. He just isn't a BYU fan and doesn't think we deserve the benefit of the doubt.



There's a point where the site could be too blue goggled..... :crazy:
S
scott715
I'm conflicted with this. I don't mind a fan that supports our opponent as long as it is civil. State the facts for your conflicting view point. I have a problem when people repeat over and over the same thing and don't look at the other side. His facts were wrong and it was pointed out but it took a while before he would review his facts to get it straight.



On the flip side Airwolf was better then the past one. The last day was a tough one for him. Part of the problem was users reacting to his reputation in a negative way. Perhaps it contributed to the behavior. He is welcome to call me if he wants to talk.



I have more to say but I am in a final right now and the last student is almost done. It will have to wait.



PS I don't believe in permanent bans except for Sons of Perdition.
C
craigoscarson
1. I hate onions and when I was a kid my parents would order pizza with onions in spite of me not liking it, thinking that I would be hungry enough that I would eat it anyhow and eventually learn to love onions. Nope, I would have rather starved.



Airwolf is onions to me. There might be a few that enjoy it, but if you get rid of it, you won't hear complaints from the onion fans out there, because they'll still eat the pizza. Put onions on the pizza and you are going to ostracize the pizza loving, onion hating crowd. (I know I'm not the only one)



2. Airwolf has had some monumental meltdowns in the past and it goes back nearly a decade, before we were even on this particular site. He's had plenty of chances. Once you've earned a ban, you've earned the ban. He has come back under several different names (his posting style is his fingerprint, I can spot it within minutes of reading his posts) and he will attempt to do it again. Eventually he came back as "wolfie" and took ownership of it. If he had gone to the mods and asked how he could get back in their good graces and earn his way back and then earned his way back, I could understand, but what he did was simply bypass a ban he was aware of and the only reason I believe he made attempts to control his idiotic posting was he knew the plank was short.



3. Make your argument or prognostication, let it play out, and come back and either eat crow or take some credit (I'm fine with that).. but DO NOT make your argument, then, make your argument, then make your argument, then make your argument, then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument, THEN FIND OUT YOU'RE WRONG AND, then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument,then make your argument, then make your argument, (GET MY POINT?)



4. There are some valued and important posters form the past that I don't see here anymore. That is a real bummer and I have personally spoken to some of them and it's guys like Airwolf that have run them off. They simply don't have time for the drama. They come here for information, recruiting scoops, and smart BYU sports discussion. When they have to sift through so much crap, they leave and that's really really sad. I miss some of the long time posters that aren't here anymore. (please come back!)



5. His presence does not support BYU athletics or the mission of BYU and it's athletic department... in fact his aim is just the opposite... this is how I would determine who shouldn't be here. Even if factors 1-4 didn't exist, #5 is bannable to me and I would have an itchy trigger finger.
F
frdbtr
Craig's opinion above mirrors mine nearly exactly.
Advertisement
R
rblack
I think this forum ought to be a place that welcomes differing viewpoints. However, the poster in question did not simply have a differing viewpoint. As noted, he posted items slanted against BYU and when his bias (and misinformation) was exposed, he continued pushing his biased dataset. If I wanted to have that conversation, I would read the comments section of the st trib. As it is, half the time I am tempted to stop going to any BYU fansites because of the "coach is an idiot" and "he isn't even a D-1 athlete" comments from the BYU "faithful."
G
Guest
rblack wrote:
I think this forum ought to be a place that welcomes differing viewpoints. However, the poster in question did not simply have a differing viewpoint. As noted, he posted items slanted against BYU and when his bias (and misinformation) was exposed, he continued pushing his biased dataset. If I wanted to have that conversation, I would read the comments section of the st trib. As it is, half the time I am tempted to stop going to any BYU fansites because of the "coach is an idiot" and "he isn't even a D-1 athlete" comments from the BYU "faithful."

It is my sincere hope and desire that friendly, open contributors from any fan base can come here and feel welcome. I don't want this site to be only for "blue-goggled" BYU fans, but for anyone who is willing to be open and honest.
M
mizzoucoug
I don't mind Airwolf because he brings comedy gold. Obviously he's here to get a rise out of BYU fans, and he does a pretty good job of being objective these days compared to what he used to be like. There are worse posters on this site who personally attack as a means of disagreeing. And they apparently will never be banned so Airwolf still has a ways to go imo.
R
rblack
hawkwing wrote:
I think this forum ought to be a place that welcomes differing viewpoints. However, the poster in question did not simply have a differing viewpoint. As noted, he posted items slanted against BYU and when his bias (and misinformation) was exposed, he continued pushing his biased dataset. If I wanted to have that conversation, I would read the comments section of the st trib. As it is, half the time I am tempted to stop going to any BYU fansites because of the "coach is an idiot" and "he isn't even a D-1 athlete" comments from the BYU "faithful."

It is my sincere hope and desire that friendly, open contributors from any fan base can come here and feel welcome. I don't want this site to be only for "blue-goggled" BYU fans, but for anyone who is willing to be open and honest.

I don't have any problem with individuals having a less flattering outlook on BYU, its coaches and players than I do, I simply feel they should be able to do so without name calling and disrespectful language. Ok...I think we need a new coach. Not ok...Rose is an idiot. Ok...I don't think he should be starting. Or...We have better options than _________________. Not ok...He was the only non D-1 athlete on the floor. I am particularly more irritated when the disrespect is towards players. They work twice as hard as typical college students, sometimes at great sacrifice (try feeding a family, going to school and wading through NCAA work rules while training year round). I'm not saying we shouldn't be critical, just, some comments cross the line.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
I think this forum ought to be a place that welcomes differing viewpoints. However, the poster in question did not simply have a differing viewpoint. As noted, he posted items slanted against BYU and when his bias (and misinformation) was exposed, he continued pushing his biased dataset. If I wanted to have that conversation, I would read the comments section of the st trib. As it is, half the time I am tempted to stop going to any BYU fansites because of the "coach is an idiot" and "he isn't even a D-1 athlete" comments from the BYU "faithful."

It is my sincere hope and desire that friendly, open contributors from any fan base can come here and feel welcome. I don't want this site to be only for "blue-goggled" BYU fans, but for anyone who is willing to be open and honest.


Don't worry. Bib has the "any [other] fan base" covered. :)

Ban the Wolf. He will never join nor maintain his name change.

He is a wolf in wolf's clothing. He is only presently acting like grandma until the Yutes lose to the Cougars. Have a CC house of bricks or he will once again emerge and blow this house in. A wolf by any other name is still a wolf. Kill the beast.



Hmmmmmm...........Wolfie or Craig???? What to do??????
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.