Archived Topic

Dear Kyle

by Cougarbib · 3/14/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Dear Kyle



sheesh bro. Don't take this the wrong way - I did similar things in my time at BYU, but couldn't you wait a few more weeks to grow that beard? It probably embarrasses Coach Mendenhall. I know you like him and respect him and appreciate him - or at least I think you do.



Probably just an oversight on your part. A small thing relatively speaking. But, you have a great story going here, bro.



I know. You already graduated. Something to be proud of for sure. But, I see you on national TV at BYU basketball games and doing interviews after the BYU NFL Pro Day. It all still seems so recent and current. And I noticed this even at the last few BYU football games.



No biggie.



All the best.



A Big Fan

PS: You, like I did way back when, look much better without that beard. I did not realize that at the time, but I look back at pictures now and ask myself - What Was I Thinking?
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib family photo:



http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L-nGPFIdVAU/Tc69viwfO0I/AAAAAAAAAJ4/zucVmtL_TXE/s1600/nitpicking.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Yummy nits. Gotta pick 'em.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
Cougarbib wrote:
Dear Kyle



sheesh bro. Don't take this the wrong way - I did similar things in my time at BYU, but couldn't you wait a few more weeks to grow that beard? It probably embarrasses Coach Mendenhall. I know you like him and respect him and appreciate him - or at least I think you do.



Probably just an oversight on your part. A small thing relatively speaking. But, you have a great story going here, bro.



I know. You already graduated. Something to be proud of for sure. But, I see you on national TV at BYU basketball games and doing interviews after the BYU NFL Pro Day. It all still seems so recent and current. And I noticed this even at the last few BYU football games.



No biggie.



All the best.



A Big Fan

PS: You, like I did way back when, look much better without that beard. I did not realize that at the time, but I look back at pictures now and ask myself - What Was I Thinking?


In your time back at BYU, growing a beard was not only a violation of the grooming standards (as it is today), but probably viewed by most of society as a a general sign of rebellion since many people who protested the war and engaged in free sex and drug use didn't shave to prove non-conformity. And most people who wore beards carried with them an air of "stickin' it to the man."



But in case you haven't noticed, beards are back. It is amazing how many men in high, respected, and influential positions sport facial hair today. Still not in our church, and it may never be and that's cool. But in society, I think the culture (continually swinging back and forth like an unbalanced pendulum) may be approaching the point it was when almost all general authorities had..... Wait for it ...... Beards!



Twenty years ago I thought females would never wear Jeans at BYU. Two years ago I would never have believed that missionaries would be given IPads.



Heck even Disneyland allows cast members to have mustaches now (they didn't when I skippered a boat on the jungle cruise in the 90's).



Maybe facial hair will be allowed at BYU one day!



Maybe Kyle's grooming choice is not a snub at the culture he just left, but a perfectly acceptable choice that no longer carries an air of disrespect.
S
scott715
Maybe that's why he got hurt?
B
birdie702
Nothing wrong with the beard....
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Not sure why anyone would criticize someone for having a beard. There is no commandment against it. It is not a sin. At BYU you agree to go beardless as well as when you get called to be a bishop, stk Pres or some other " Big" calling. Not sure why Kyle can't wear a beard. He looks kinda mean/tough with it - that will serve him well in the NFL.
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Not sure why anyone would criticize someone for having a beard. There is no commandment against it. It is not a sin. At BYU you agree to go beardless as well as when you get called to be a bishop, stk Pres or some other " Big" calling. Not sure why Kyle can't wear a beard. He looks kinda mean/tough with it - that will serve him well in the NFL.


I just suggested he wait a few weeks. He had it in his last football games. Kind of like Riley Nelson and his hair when he first got the starting job. National TV. Off comes the helmet. Embarrassing for the coach that let's athletes get away with something most students cannot get away with.



I grow a beard on occasion. Nothing wrong with it. Wore it to work. Wore it to Church. BYU was 4 decades ago.



If by some stretch, I thought I was going to be on national TV at a BYU event in the spot light - I would probably shave it.



Easy enough to grow another one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I've had two bishops in the last 5 years who have had beards, and a number of their counselors, including a stake presidency counselor. There is no church policy on beards or no beards. Some Stake Presidents ask bishops to be clean-shaven, others do not. The closer you are to Provo, the more likely that a Stake President will make that request, which leads me to believe it's more of an artifact of the Honor Code than any policy emanating from SLC.



The only no-beard policy in the church is in the temples, and even that has its exceptions....just try out a session in Manti and you'll get a nice beard show.
B
BoiseBYU
I do not get this letter one bit. There is nothing morally, ethically, spiritually, or anything that stands in the way of wearing a beard. I know that the honor code bans beards while at BYU but he's no longer there, yes? So I say lay off the pontificating.
C
Cougarbib
BoiseBYU wrote:
I do not get this letter one bit. There is nothing morally, ethically, spiritually, or anything that stands in the way of wearing a beard. I know that the honor code bans beards while at BYU but he's no longer there, yes? So I say lay off the pontificating.




Did you notice the last few games when he was at BYU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Cougarbib wrote:
I do not get this letter one bit. There is nothing morally, ethically, spiritually, or anything that stands in the way of wearing a beard. I know that the honor code bans beards while at BYU but he's no longer there, yes? So I say lay off the pontificating.




Did you notice the last few games when he was at BYU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Nope
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
I do not get this letter one bit. There is nothing morally, ethically, spiritually, or anything that stands in the way of wearing a beard. I know that the honor code bans beards while at BYU but he's no longer there, yes? So I say lay off the pontificating.




Did you notice the last few games when he was at BYU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Nope


I don't recall seeing a beard the last few games he was at BYU, but if you have pictures, that would show.
S
snoscythe
Who cares if he had a beard during the last few games?
C
Cougs_Rule
Glad I wasted 3 minutes reading this irrelevant thread.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Glad I wasted 3 minutes reading this irrelevant thread.

Wasn't it you that used to rag on Riley Nelson for his long hair and bare abs?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.