Archived Topic

Good Things

by stuckinbig10country · 3/12/2014

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
I know that we're all bummed by the team's performance (especially in the first half) and Kyle's injury, but let's look on the bright side for just a minute:



1. We are probably getting into the tournament, which means more practices, more time together, experience for the team to prepare for next year.



2. This is the worst team that BYU will have from now until 2020, at least. Next year will be better due to experience and incoming talent. The following year, the first returners of the LP group comes back from his mission (Emery).



3. If the Collinsworth injury is ACL, that's not the same type of injury that his brother had. An ACL is much easier to come back from than microfracture surgery.



4. Due to the injury, Frank Bartley will be getting some much needed PT to prepare for next year. His size and athleticism will be needed.



5. The team didn't quit. Earlier this season, they had quit. Good growth from this bunch.



Someone on the radio was talking today about Gonzaga being so far ahead of BYU. Based on everything I've seen, BYU catches them next year, and at worst the year after, and the Zags will be playing from behind for the next decade.
C
Cougarbib
That last sentence waxes a bit optimistic. Also - yes high potential players coming in. Inexperienced and not all at once. Players leave, too. But I agree the trend will be up.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
As for next year- who is going to improve?



Personally I believe Carlino is what he is. Haws can't really improve any more. Austin has peaked. Assuming KC isn't hurt badly he could improve his shooting over the offseason. So we are counting on Winder, Bartley, Worthington and the incoming freshman and tranfers.



I see next year looking a lot like this year.
W
Wolverine
Qman wrote:
As for next year- who is going to improve?



Personally I believe Carlino is what he is. Haws can't really improve any more. Austin has peaked. Assuming KC isn't hurt badly he could improve his shooting over the offseason. So we are counting on Winder, Bartley, Worthington and the incoming freshman and tranfers.



I see next year looking a lot like this year.

Don't forget minus Mika. I think next year will be somewhat better than this year. I think perimeter shooting improves, post play will be similar, OOC schedule will be weaker than this year's, and the team won't lose 4 conference road games to the likes of LMU, Pepperdine, Portland, and Pacific. Now they might lose them to the likes of St. Mary's, San Francisco, and Santa Clara ;) Gonzaga on the road will be a given :~( Go Cougars!
E
EM_Puma
We've got Fischer, Chatman, Andrus, Nielsen and Aytes being added to the team. The takeaway is Mika. I think that is an improvement. I think the question is more related to if Austin, Barkley stepping up their games or seeing bench time. Austin is way too one-dimensional--if I can see that, so can Rose/Pope. Something will change that.



My biggest question at the moment is how serious is the injury to Collinsworth.



I think John Haddow's review today at CB was a good summation:

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=12139815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I don't think this will be the worst BYU team between now and 2020. When all those LP players get back there is going to be a sub par season or two there as they get back into the groove of things.



While they tore it up in high school, high school isn't like D1 ball and they'll be coming off missions.



I am excited for the new additions next season. Curious to see how good Aytes really is. We desperately need a post threat. I'm also curious about Fischer. Hoping he will finally be the 2 that can knock down 3 pointers consistently.



I'm also looking forward to Winder improving his shot (it's gotten better this season) and Bartley improving his decision making.
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
I don't think this will be the worst BYU team between now and 2020. When all those LP players get back there is going to be a sub par season or two there as they get back into the groove of things.



While they tore it up in high school, high school isn't like D1 ball and they'll be coming off missions.



I am excited for the new additions next season. Curious to see how good Aytes really is. We desperately need a post threat. I'm also curious about Fischer. Hoping he will finally be the 2 that can knock down 3 pointers consistently.



I'm also looking forward to Winder improving his shot (it's gotten better this season) and Bartley improving his decision making.




This and this:



How many more Lone Peak stars are left from the dream team?



Mika we have already seen. Gone 2. Play 3 more. 18/19 done.

TJ Haws. Gone 2. Play 4. 19/20 done.

Emery. Gone 1 more. 18/19 done.



Those were the super stars. BYU needs to have 8-10 guys that can play serious minutes every year. Players will leave, get booted, get injured, and graduate. Some may fizzle. Recruiting is far from done.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Gunk wrote:
I don't think this will be the worst BYU team between now and 2020. When all those LP players get back there is going to be a sub par season or two there as they get back into the groove of things.



While they tore it up in high school, high school isn't like D1 ball and they'll be coming off missions.



I am excited for the new additions next season. Curious to see how good Aytes really is. We desperately need a post threat. I'm also curious about Fischer. Hoping he will finally be the 2 that can knock down 3 pointers consistently.



I'm also looking forward to Winder improving his shot (it's gotten better this season) and Bartley improving his decision making.


Except we gain talent this coming year that will improve the team. The next year as well. And those will be the experienced players when the LP boys start coming in. Those vets are probably as good as the vets this year (Haws, Austin, Carlino) if not better.
G
Gunk
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I don't think this will be the worst BYU team between now and 2020. When all those LP players get back there is going to be a sub par season or two there as they get back into the groove of things.



While they tore it up in high school, high school isn't like D1 ball and they'll be coming off missions.



I am excited for the new additions next season. Curious to see how good Aytes really is. We desperately need a post threat. I'm also curious about Fischer. Hoping he will finally be the 2 that can knock down 3 pointers consistently.



I'm also looking forward to Winder improving his shot (it's gotten better this season) and Bartley improving his decision making.


Except we gain talent this coming year that will improve the team. The next year as well. And those will be the experienced players when the LP boys start coming in. Those vets are probably as good as the vets this year (Haws, Austin, Carlino) if not better.

That works for me, but the expectation that the LP crew is going to come in and wipe the floor clean is a bit high. They'll come in and need a season or two just like most players.
S
stuckinbig10country
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I don't think this will be the worst BYU team between now and 2020. When all those LP players get back there is going to be a sub par season or two there as they get back into the groove of things.



While they tore it up in high school, high school isn't like D1 ball and they'll be coming off missions.



I am excited for the new additions next season. Curious to see how good Aytes really is. We desperately need a post threat. I'm also curious about Fischer. Hoping he will finally be the 2 that can knock down 3 pointers consistently.



I'm also looking forward to Winder improving his shot (it's gotten better this season) and Bartley improving his decision making.


Except we gain talent this coming year that will improve the team. The next year as well. And those will be the experienced players when the LP boys start coming in. Those vets are probably as good as the vets this year (Haws, Austin, Carlino) if not better.

That works for me, but the expectation that the LP crew is going to come in and wipe the floor clean is a bit high. They'll come in and need a season or two just like most players.


I don't disagree with this at all, but I believe that the support around them will be really good.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.