Archived Topic

The big question now...

by Wolfman · 3/12/2014

Advertisement
W
Wolfman
do the Cougs get into the big dance or not? Last night, I was of the opinion that they had to beat Gonzaga to get in, but I've changed my mind for one reason and one reason only... the WCC will get at least 2 teams in the tournament and no one else in the conference deserves to except for Gonzaga and BYU. Now, if the Cougs don't make the big dance and Gonzaga is the only team representing the conference, here's 5 reasons why BYU got the cold shoulder:



1. Their blowout loss to Gonzaga in the WCC tournament

2. Going 2-5 in their 7 most important non-conference games

3. 4 bad conference losses to teams that combined for a total win-loss record of 25-47 in the WCC

4. Their SOS in conference

5. Getting taken into OT by San Francisco and barely hanging on to live another day



Guess we'll find out in 5 days. If they do get in, they are, at best, an 11 seed, but without KC, against a 6 seed or better will mean one and done. Their best hope actually is to play in the NIT where they would be a top seed and have the best chance of winning some games, making some noise and extending their post-season.
M
mizzoucoug
Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT.



That being said, unfortunately this team will get blown away in the 1st round of either tourney unless someone decides to show some mental toughness.
G
Gunk
NIT is for programs like USF. We should not be hoping for an NIT appearance in any shape or form. Should we get one, then we can look at from the bright side, but an NIT invitation should be a disappointment.



BYU played it's toughest schedule to date this season - 39th hardest schedule in the nation. That's a tougher schedule than many schools from those "big" conferences and it's a tougher schedule than Gonzaga played. It's a tougher schedule than the Jimmer team played.



Number wise there really is no reason why they shouldn't make the tournament. If we don't, we all should be upset, not content with an NIT run.
C
Cougarbib
I could easily get over getting left out of the Big Dance. Nevertheless, I think we are in unless we get discounted for losing KC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolfman
What's the NIT? ;)
Advertisement
W
Wolfman
Cougarbib wrote:
I could easily get over getting left out of the Big Dance. Nevertheless, I think we are in unless we get discounted for losing KC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No basketball team should ever get left out or discounted because of an injury... it's a part of any sport and for a team that has earned the right to play in a post-season tournament to get left out because of an injury to a player which will make the team less talented is (or would be) a grave injustice and is grounds for protest. Problem is... how would you prove it?
C
Cougarbib
Wolfman wrote:
I could easily get over getting left out of the Big Dance. Nevertheless, I think we are in unless we get discounted for losing KC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No basketball team should ever get left out or discounted because of an injury... it's a part of any sport and for a team that has earned the right to play in a post-season tournament to get left out because of an injury to a player which will make the team less talented is (or would be) a grave injustice and is grounds for protest. Problem is... how would you prove it?


I was worried about your sanity until your final sentence.



Let me test your Ute fandom. When I was a young impressionable buck, my older (big) brother convinced me that I was a Ute fan. I lived in White City - Sandy. I listened to those Utes on KALL 910 Radio iirc. Jerry Chambers was the star. Could actually play the 5 when needed at 6'4". I digress. Iirc, that year, U lost their center, George McKay, iirc, to a broken leg. Got into the dance anyway. Made it to the final 4. Lost to Texas Western (UTEP) who won the NC. Don Haskins. A movie was made about that team. African Americans come into a white man's domain in a big way and conquer. College basketball changed forever.



Utah ranked #4. BYU won the NIT back when that meant something. BYU ranked #5.



Jack Gardner. Stan Watts.



U woulda gone all the way with a center.



I moved to Provo in 9th grade and figured out who BYU was. I was set to go to Utah when my girlfriend's parents told her she was going to BYU. Next thing you know, my mother seizes the opportunity and gets me in BYU. Ironically, gf got put in beauty school at the last minute and I was a Cougarbib - for life.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png[/img
E
EM_Puma
Wolfman wrote:
What's the NIT? ;)


It's a baby lice.
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
I could easily get over getting left out of the Big Dance. Nevertheless, I think we are in unless we get discounted for losing KC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No basketball team should ever get left out or discounted because of an injury... it's a part of any sport and for a team that has earned the right to play in a post-season tournament to get left out because of an injury to a player which will make the team less talented is (or would be) a grave injustice and is grounds for protest. Problem is... how would you prove it?


I was worried about your sanity until your final sentence.



Let me test your Ute fandom. When I was a young impressionable buck, my older (big) brother convinced me that I was a Ute fan. I lived in White City - Sandy. I listened to those Utes on KALL 910 Radio iirc. Jerry Chambers was the star. Could actually play the 5 when needed at 6'4". I digress. Iirc, that year, U lost their center, George McKay, iirc, to a broken leg. Got into the dance anyway. Made it to the final 4. Lost to Texas Western (UTEP) who won the NC. Don Haskins. A movie was made about that team. African Americans come into a white man's domain in a big way and conquer. College basketball changed forever.



Utah ranked #4. BYU won the NIT back when that meant something. BYU ranked #5.



Jack Gardner. Stan Watts.



U woulda gone all the way with a center.



I moved to Provo in 9th grade and figured out who BYU was. I was set to go to Utah when my girlfriend's parents told her she was going to BYU. Next thing you know, my mother seizes the opportunity and gets me in BYU. Ironically, gf got put in beauty school at the last minute and I was a Cougarbib - for life.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png[/img


Ah, nothing like wisdom from the ages served up with boats and oats having been spewed all over the table of irrelevancy. It's a great day in Bib-land. ;)
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Wolfman wrote:
I could easily get over getting left out of the Big Dance. Nevertheless, I think we are in unless we get discounted for losing KC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No basketball team should ever get left out or discounted because of an injury... it's a part of any sport and for a team that has earned the right to play in a post-season tournament to get left out because of an injury to a player which will make the team less talented is (or would be) a grave injustice and is grounds for protest. Problem is... how would you prove it?


I was worried about your sanity until your final sentence.



Let me test your Ute fandom. When I was a young impressionable buck, my older (big) brother convinced me that I was a Ute fan. I lived in White City - Sandy. I listened to those Utes on KALL 910 Radio iirc. Jerry Chambers was the star. Could actually play the 5 when needed at 6'4". I digress. Iirc, that year, U lost their center, George McKay, iirc, to a broken leg. Got into the dance anyway. Made it to the final 4. Lost to Texas Western (UTEP) who won the NC. Don Haskins. A movie was made about that team. African Americans come into a white man's domain in a big way and conquer. College basketball changed forever.



Utah ranked #4. BYU won the NIT back when that meant something. BYU ranked #5.



Jack Gardner. Stan Watts.



U woulda gone all the way with a center.



I moved to Provo in 9th grade and figured out who BYU was. I was set to go to Utah when my girlfriend's parents told her she was going to BYU. Next thing you know, my mother seizes the opportunity and gets me in BYU. Ironically, gf got put in beauty school at the last minute and I was a Cougarbib - for life.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png[/img


Ah, nothing like wisdom from the ages served up with boats and oats having been spewed all over the table of irrelevancy. It's a great day in Bib-land. ;)


The Boat with the most Oat just read a quote - see what I did there? - that said the NBA selection committee absolutely does consider injuries in the selection process - then projected a play in game in Dayton Vs Dayton.
Advertisement
W
Wolfman
Why would Dayton be a 5 seed when they are 23-10 with an SOS of 83?
C
Cougarbib
Wolfman wrote:
Why would Dayton be a 5 seed when they are 23-10 with an SOS of 83?


Wolfman



Short answer. Dayton will not be remotely close to a 5 seed. They are a bubble team like BYU - just hoping to get in at all.



Normally, you think things through better than your question would indicate that you thought this through.



If BYU plays Dayton in Dayton, that would be a play-in game to see which of them gets to become a number 11 or 12 seed and then go lose to a 4 or 5 seed next week. BYU is well rested. Not sure about Dayton. But playing on their turf calculates out to being a 16 point margin disadvantage vs playing them in Provo.



Even a truly neutral site seems to hurt BYU more than it hurts most teams compared to playing at home. In other words, playing in Provo makes BYU look better than they are and when they lose that advantage, they disappoint even on a neutral court.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolfman
Cougarbib wrote:
Why would Dayton be a 5 seed when they are 23-10 with an SOS of 83?


Wolfman



Short answer. Dayton will not be remotely close to a 5 seed. They are a bubble team like BYU - just hoping to get in at all.



Normally, you think things through better than your question would indicate that you thought this through.

I didn't realize that BYU was in a play-in game situation as a probable 12 seed? When did 12 seeds start playing play-in games?
C
Cougarbib
Wolfman wrote:
Wolfman wrote:
Why would Dayton be a 5 seed when they are 23-10 with an SOS of 83?


Wolfman



Short answer. Dayton will not be remotely close to a 5 seed. They are a bubble team like BYU - just hoping to get in at all.



Normally, you think things through better than your question would indicate that you thought this through.

I didn't realize that BYU was in a play-in game situation as a probable 12 seed? When did 12 seeds start playing play-in games?




Go look. That is how it works. There are 4 games. Two games to pick the last two 16 seeds and two games to pick the last two 12 seeds. The types of teams in those games 16 seed play in vs 12 seed play in are very different. A team like BYU either gets a 12 seed or better or a 12 seed play-in game, or NIT. I realize that your team had not sniffed the dance since it was changed to workthis way and thus you may be uunfamiliar with how The Dance Works. Many NIT teams are better than NBA seeds 13-16. Go look.



Go look. Mount Saint Mary's - who BYU pounder in week 2 or so, might be one insightful tournament team to look up. They are 16-16 and are a play-in team who won their conference tournament in an upset and are playing Albany who is 16-14 or so in one of the play-in games for one of the last two 16 seed opportunities. Most, if not all, NIT Teams would kill either of these two teams.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.