Archived Topic

Tomorrow - Can't Believe It

by Cougarbib · 3/3/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Spring Training. BYU. Football.
S
scott715
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=12070531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



My top 5 spring camp storylines to watch



Spring camp is almost among us already, and thus my mind has been often wandering back to the gridiron. I picked out my top 5 storylines, and decided to share it with y’all.



5-Competition at ILB… Stout is back. That greatly helps the depth at that position I think. He received playing time as a true freshman, and was in the two deep every year, although being banged up a bit throughout his career thus far. Maybe a year off treated his knees right? Regardless, it leaves me feeling a bit more comfortable depth wise. The battle for the starting position is one of the more intriguing position battles going into spring, and Pikula, Stout, Kautai, JLD, Ho’Ching, Heder, and Pulsipher seem like the 6 that will be battling for the positions this spring. Pikula likely is the front runner for one spot, and Stout, Kautai, JLD, and Ho’Ching will all be battling for the other starting position, and a spot in the 2 deep.



4- RM’s – The spring list of RM’s includes (off the top of my head) Ului Lapuaho, Tanner Balderree, Brian Rawlinson, Kensi Tausinga, Graham Rowley, Travis Tuiloma and probably another one or two that I’m missing. Really excited to see what kind of push Ului can make at a spot at tackle, and all 3 DL’s should be in the 2 deep on the DL in my opinion. I’m interested to see where they put Balderree as well, although I doubt he has as much of an impact as the others I mentioned. Excited to see where these guys are physically, and get a better look at what the DL might look like.



3- Position Changes… Kaufusi, Alisa, Kanuch, and Davis. All three should contribute this season I believe. Alisa played as an outside backer his freshman year before his mission, and I believe will see playing time this year there. Kanuch will be really fun to hear about. That dude was a bully in HS, and could bring a bit or nastiness to the OL. Davis back at wideout makes sense, but Kaufusi is probably the biggest move. It will be interesting to see how he performs there through camp, and how he moves coming in closer to 260-265.



2- DL battle- Johnson, Peck, Peoples, Tuiloma, Rowley, Tausinga are the leaders in my mind to make up the two deep. Seems like a lot of girth. Johnson, Peoples, and Tuiloma are all probably nose guards. It will be interesting to see where Peoples comes in weight wise. If he can get down to around 310 I believe he is athletic enough to play end. This entire group will be probably the most intriguing to keep an eye on, as we should have the chance to watch the 2 deep play out in part this spring.



1… Backup QB. Hopefully we aren’t forced to use one, but we do need one. Christian Stewart, and Billy Green are the most likely candidates to step up and take the reigns as the number 2 guy, with Stewart having the inside track. McCoy Hill left on his mission May 9th, 2012 and I admittedly don’t know if he’s back for spring ball, or not. I kind of doubt it. Hopefully someone can separate themselves and man that spot, or as Bronco said on signing day, they might have to look at adding someone late. McCoy Hill in my mind is someone to keep an eye on as well when he joins the program. He impressed as a TE before his mission, but with his skillset he seems like a fit athletically to play QB with the system BYU is currently running.
C
Cougs_Rule
I am excited again for BYU football! Certainly intriguing stories. Nice write up.

I am also very note interested in seeing increased emphasis in the passing game--since we know what we have in the run game. Kurtz real deal or not?

And, last spring was hampered by Hills injury.

Biggest stories not happening in Spring that will be in the Fall: Troy hinds and WRs Leslie and the third dude. Can BYU finally spread the field with a deep threat???
S
SpiffCoug
I want increased accuracy from THill.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
I want increased accuracy from THill.


As if you, Mr PER himself, needed to say that. :D
B
byucougar1
This Spring I would like to see:



1. Improved depth in OL and some real nastys at all five positions (G, C, T).

2. 4 viable threats at WR (Kurtz, Apo, Matthews, Davis, Houk, Mahina/Thompson, et. al.)

3. Establishment of a solid back-up QB - Green or CS.

4. DL, LB quality depth at all positions - especially NT, and inside/outside LB

5. Speed on the field at DB (Trammel, Johnson, Daniel, Bills and the backups)
B
BoiseBYU
The top three areas I want to see are

1 OL

2 OL

3 OL
C
ChiTownCOUG
SpiffCoug wrote:
I want increased accuracy from THill.

That's my number 1 this spring..
S
snoscythe
scott715 wrote:
4- RM’s – The spring list of RM’s includes (off the top of my head) Ului Lapuaho, Tanner Balderree, Brian Rawlinson, Kensi Tausinga, Graham Rowley, Travis Tuiloma and probably another one or two that I’m missing.


One or two?



Austin Heder LB

Va'a Niumatalolo LB

Philip Amone LB

Troy Hinds LB

Adam Pulsipher LB

Kesni Tausinga DL

Steven Richards DL

McCoy Hill QB

Colby Jorgensen TE

Matt Sumison TE

Corbin Kaufusi OL

Manu Mulitalo OL

Corey Edwards K



Those are their pre-mission positions, so who knows where they'll find themselves by Fall camp. I am most interested to see what Jorgensen, Pulsipher, and especially Hinds can do in their first year back. Bronco is especially high on Hinds.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Sno, I think the Main point was about guys to look forward to in spring. Some of these guys are not back until the fall. But yes, that's a big list.
S
snoscythe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Sno, I think the Main point was about guys to look forward to in spring. Some of these guys are not back until the fall. But yes, that's a big list.


Gotcha. Makes more sense. I have no idea who's back for Spring vs. Fall.
H
HoosierCougar
I want to hear stories about how THill has grabbed the Receivers that are healthy and in school since January (Kurtz, Mahina, Williams, Hine, ?) and spent time throwing to them on a regular basis. I look forward to hearing about how this comfort level results in better throws, more comfort, and YAC.



Am I dreaming?
C
Cougs_Rule
How long till practice is over and we get some news????????
S
SpiffCoug
Is today just the day they report, get their lockers and equipment. Physical, height, weight and all the admin stuff?
Advertisement
S
scott715
Looks like nice weather.
B
BroncoBot
According to Bronco...



Kurtz and Davis are 2 WR who are getting a lot of time on the field. Question is, are they out there because they are impressing or just have a lot to work on. Maybe both.
S
SpiffCoug
And the only other 2 WRs BYU might be able to rely on are hurt and will miss a large chunk, if not all of spring ball. Those two being Apo and Matthews



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
And the only other 2 WRs BYU might be able to rely on are hurt and will miss a large chunk, if not all of spring ball. Those two being Apo and Matthews



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm excited for Apo. At the risk of being reminded of his receptions/attempts, yards/attempt, yards/receptions, so on and so forth I think he has a big year. I've heard he had almost no strength last year in his arm and that the latest surgery went much better than the previous one and that the surgeon was disappointed in the work that had been done previously.



He's been disappointing but I think that’s been due to being injured almost his entire BYU career. This is the year of the APO! (Easy to say in March 8) )
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.