Archived Topic

Poll: NIT vs NCAA Tournament

by Cougarbib · 2/25/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BYU plays much better at home - almost invincible. Only Iowa State came away from Provo with a win - and barely did that. Early on, BYU beat Stanford on the road and Texas on a neutral floor, but generally lost big games away from Provo - some were oh-so-close. BYU heated up enough to beat SMC on the road a week ago. But, home has been much kinder to us. We beat the Zags. BYU has a tough time luring good teams to Provo. BYU is done in Provo this season unless they miss the Dance and get some NIT games on our home court.



After BYU beat Stanford, I predicted - without looking at the schedule or realizing that WCC was improved in the middle - that BYU would win 25 games including WCC Tournament games - get to the Dance - and lose in the opening round - 1 and done.



Well, 25 wins is not mathematically possible now. The Dance is bubbly. Had I looked at the schedule and noticed that we had more Stanford, Iowa State, Texas, UMASS, Wichita State, Rivalry, and Oregon type games than usual with only Iowa State at home and studied WCC returnees, recruits, and transfers to anticipate how feisty and scrappy WCC teams might be at home, I would have predicted a few more losses and a bubble.



We have 20 wins. We will be favored at SD since we beat them by 34 in Provo. So 21 is probable, but nothing is certain. We are healthy. We are playing well. Maybe we might actually win a WCC Tournament game or 2 - though history would suggest otherwise.



Would you rather slide backwards into the Big Dance or be one of the Crown Jewels of the NIT with some big home games in the early rounds. We have a legitimate shot at 25 wins going the NIT route - much lower odds of hitting 25 in the NCAA Tournament.



What sets BYU up best for 2014/15 season?
S
scott715
Always the dance for the money and prestige. NIT is not bad though. Better than sitting at home.
S
SpiffCoug
I think I read that BYU wouldn't be able to host an opening weekend game as BYU is hosting a gymnastics meet that weekend.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think I read that BYU wouldn't be able to host an opening weekend game as BYU is hosting a gymnastics meet that weekend.


That would change my vote. I voted TORN assuming BYU would get early home games.



Would we be allowed to host at our home away from home - Energy Solutions Center in SLC?



How ironic if we end up NIT but give up Home Court.
G
Guest
Going to the NIT is like taking your Cousin to Prom. You may end up having a fun time, but everyone knows it's a consolation for not getting a real date; and unless you're from the South you're not going to get lucky.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
You don't hit the NCAA in successive years and somewhere, somehow, our recruiting will be effected. Maybe not as much at BYU as it would at say Oregon, Texas or UNLV, but failure usually has consequences.



It was great to make it to the Final Four of the NIT last season, but it is more glory to the fans and enjoyment by the players than any enhancement amoung our peers or potential recruits. There are few outside of Provo that would even remember BYU making it that far. IMHO.
C
Cougs_Rule
This is what makes the big dance one of the greatest amateur sporting events. THe magic of being a Cinderella. The legit chance at proving to others what you have.



I would normally be torn, but with this team trending the right way, dare we say, peaking, it would be good to see how the team could match up.
G
Gunk
Dance.



Better for the prestige of the program. Better for the players. Better for recruiting. The NIT run last year was fun, but we should always be aiming and aspiring to go dancing.
S
scott715
If we go NIT, the MC is not available on Saturday. Could go to the field house or SLC.
M
Mars


Big Dance makes filling out brackets more fun. But a 1st Round loss sucks. But it's more money for BYU and better recruiting.



NIT means game(s) I can attend in person, plus ticket sale money, plus longer post-season/more wins, plus more experience for those players developing as leaders.



So both are good, but the real March Madness deal itself is better.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
hawkwing wrote:
Going to the NIT is like taking your Cousin to Prom. You may end up having a fun time, but everyone knows it's a consolation for not getting a real date; and unless you're from the South you're not going to get lucky.

Hey, I'm from the South and so is my cousin, er, wife. So be careful what you say!
G
Guest
1967cougar wrote:
Going to the NIT is like taking your Cousin to Prom. You may end up having a fun time, but everyone knows it's a consolation for not getting a real date; and unless you're from the South you're not going to get lucky.

Hey, I'm from the South and so is my cousin, er, wife. So be careful what you say!

Congratulations, you're your own grandfather!
R
rblack
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Going to the NIT is like taking your Cousin to Prom. You may end up having a fun time, but everyone knows it's a consolation for not getting a real date; and unless you're from the South you're not going to get lucky.

Hey, I'm from the South and so is my cousin, er, wife. So be careful what you say!

Congratulations, yer yer own gran'pappy!

fixed it
C
ChiTownCOUG
Why would anyone vote nit..the first two rounds r usually a joke..We face northwestern state valley of Wisconsin and then savanna st...boring..NCAA tournament anything can happen..it's the best sporting event in sports..
C
Cougarbib
ChiTownCOUG wrote:
Why would anyone vote nit..the first two rounds r usually a joke..We face northwestern state valley of Wisconsin and then savanna st...boring..NCAA tournament anything can happen..it's the best sporting event in sports..


Like last year. Wait...



Provo -

Washington

Mercer



Hattiesburg -

So. Miss



Final 4 -

Baylor



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Cougarbib wrote:
Why would anyone vote nit..the first two rounds r usually a joke..We face northwestern state valley of Wisconsin and then savanna st...boring..NCAA tournament anything can happen..it's the best sporting event in sports..


Provo

Washington

Mercer



Back East

So. Miss



Final 4

Baylor



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

FIFY ;)

Down South

So. Miss (my alma mater for grad school) :)
C
ChiTownCOUG
Do u watch the nit if BYU not in it?? can't tell u the last time I watched an nit game (before last year) cuz who cares..it's ncaa tourney or bust.
C
ChiTownCOUG
Do u watch the nit if BYU not in it?? can't tell u the last time I watched an nit game (before last year) cuz who cares..it's ncaa tourney or bust.
C
Cougarbib
ChiTownCOUG wrote:
Do u watch the nit if BYU not in it?? can't tell u the last time I watched an nit game (before last year) cuz who cares..it's ncaa tourney or bust.


In my old age, I am the wrong one to ask. I am a BYU Sports junkie with a very casual side interest in the other Utah schools and schools like Hawaii, UCLA, Northwestern, and other schools where I have lived and MWC former opponents and WCC teams and teams on our schedule. So, if I stumbled across one of those teams by accident and had absolutely nothing else going on with family or friends, I might put one of those games on Iin the background while I checked email, online banking, CC, online news, etc.

Maybe. 3 or 4 BB or FB games a year that are not BYU. Usually scouting a future opponent.



I might watch Kings or Jimmer next team or pro teams with other BYU players. If I stumbled on one and was not busy. So far that did not happen with Jimmer and probably no one else since Young and McMahon hung it up.



I have lost total interest in Pro sports - did not watch the Super Bowl in recent years. Will not watch March Madness if BYU is not in it. So. No. I will not watch NIT either unless BYU is in it. Have not watched NC game in football in a long time. Not interested if BYU is not in the Top 15.



It has not always been this way. Used to spend all weekend watching baseball, football, and basketball games. Whomever was on TV. Back then, I would have watched an NIT game if it was an interesting match-up, a team listed above that I had casual interest in, or an interesting player.



I would be more likely now to go to Las Vegas and watch WCC Tournament in its entirety than any NIT or NCAA game not involving BYU or a future opponent. Can't even pull that off this year.



I agree with you - NCAA Dance is far more interesting than the NIT to any fan that does not have a dog in the fight.



If BYU dances - I will probably be watching 1 game - a BYU loss - unless they are a play in team and manage to win that.



NIT - I will probably be watching 2 home wins and maybe another win or two or three and a loss.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I'm with Bib, BYU anything or nothing at all.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.