Archived Topic

2014 schedule to be announce on True Blue tonight

by scott715 · 2/25/2014

Advertisement
S
scott715
Any info anyone?
S
scott715
Now I have a date for the Connecticut game. Maybe I will fly out to it.
F
Fido
Two changes:

Connecticut game on Friday, 8/29 (instead of Thursday) to be on ESPN at 6pm Mountain.

Houston game moved from Saturday, 9/27 to Thursday, 9/11 and shown on ESPN.



And reportedly a bowl game tie in announcement for 2014 will be coming shortly.
E
EM_Puma
Fido wrote:
And reportedly a bowl game tie in announcement for 2014 will be coming shortly.


Can't wait to be tied to the MAC conference in a bowl game.

:roll:
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Any idea yet if we will get the dreaded honor of being broadcast on the Longhorn Network for the Texas game? Or does our match up carry enough juice that ESPN won't let that happen?
F
Fido
All of Texas' games for 2014 just say TBA on the time/station.
M
Mars


Not excited to play UCF earlier in the season (the earlier you lose as an Independent, the sooner that the nation/fans/players seem to lose interest).
S
Stirfry
Fido wrote:
Houston game moved from Saturday, 9/27 to Thursday, 9/11 and shown on ESPN.


Excellent! I need all the justification I can get to renew my tickets at last years prices with this years schedule and this just saved a game I thought I'd have to miss.
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
Now I have a date for the Connecticut game. Maybe I will fly out to it.

I'll be out there for that one too.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I am going to challenge everyone who promises to be fair and objective to compare this schedule to our 1984 schedule. Of course we have hindsight on 1984. We know Pitt - ranked #3 before the season started - went on to suck after we beat them. I have a theory that good teams cannot get over a loss to BYU. Mentally. TIC.



I have not gone back to look and assess yet, but, on paper, this one might be slightly tougher.



I feel a sort of special season coming - we scheduled for one like in the glory years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
2014 is the antithesis of 2013. Everyone thought 2013 was going to be immensely difficult. But 2013 was the first time in a very long time that BYU didn't play a team with 10 wins.



I think many people think 2014 will be a very easy schedule that BYU could sleepwalk their way to 10 wins. Just like 2013 wasn't as hard as everyone thought, 2014 won't be as easy either.
S
scott715
Starting off with the first game. UConn will be a much improved team this year. They got a new coach partway through the season. They won their last 3 games. They found a new FR QB late in the season.
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
Starting off with the first game. UConn will be a much improved team this year. They got a new coach partway through the season. They won their last 3 games. They found a new FR QB late in the season.

Even without all of that, traveling cross country is one of the toughest things a college team can do. It adds immensely to the level of difficulty.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
2014 is the antithesis of 2013. Everyone thought 2013 was going to be immensely difficult. But 2013 was the first time in a very long time that BYU didn't play a team with 10 wins.



I think many people think 2014 will be a very easy schedule that BYU could sleepwalk their way to 10 wins. Just like 2013 wasn't as hard as everyone thought, 2014 won't be as easy either.


2014, overall, turned out to be exactly as difficult as I expected and predicted. Texas was easier to beat than I expected, but I did expect them to be beatable in Provo. I expected UVA to be beatable, but knew it could be a trap game early and clear on the East coast. New OC and staff. Inexperience and injury recovery at QB. U is always U. I expected 50/50. Although neither ND or UW were top 10 teams, I did not expect them to be. I just expected them to be a little to tough to beat on the road. The toughest opponents were mostly road games. You lose your share of those. I never try to predict Bowl Games before I know who we will play. Once we knew it was UW, we knew they were not top 10, but I expected them to be a little too much on a neutral field and with BYU limping into that game due to key injuries. There was not one unwinnable game last season - just way too many 50/50 or 40/60 or 60/40 games. But, what game is unwinnable - Miami in Detmer's senior year............wait. we won. Provo. Texas A&M in Provo arouns 1996....... ......wait. we won. Provo.



There will be zero unwinnable games next year. Opener on East Coast - always dicey even with an unranked opponent. 60/40 in my book. Upsets can happen in 60/40 games. Texas on the road sounds scary. But we have played them tough there before. I see a 30/70 game. Big upset if we win. But winnable. I think we have slightly less road risks and much less home risk.



As I said in OP, this schedule is tougher than most schedules we had back in the glory years 1984 and prior. We were in the WAC back then. OOC in 1984 was not cake, but very winnable and WAC toughest games were vs 4 loss teams. WAC was 40/50ish overall record.



I do not expect BYU to run the table this year. They could. They might. I think 10-2 is most likely, plus or minus 2 wins. If TH gets injured - way different story.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
As I said in OP, this schedule is tougher than most schedules we had back in the glory years 1984 and prior. We were in the WAC back then. OOC in 1984 was not cake, but very winnable and WAC toughest games were vs 4 loss teams. WAC was 40/50ish overall record.



I do not expect BYU to run the table this year. They could. They might. I think 10-2 is most likely, plus or minus 2 wins. If TH gets injured - way different story.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

IMO, 1984 was a TOTAL cake walk of a schedule - both in AND out of conference.



BYU played ONE team that won 8 games. ONE team that won 7 games. SIX teams that won 4 or fewer games (two won 4, two won 3, one won 2 and one won 1). Four teams did win 6 games and one team won 5. Over HALF (7 of 13) the 1984 schedule was against teams that were below .500.



BYU's out-of-conference opponents were a combined 21-35-1 (.375). Only Tulsa was above .500 (6-5). The OOC opponents that BYU scheduled - as opposed to being matched up in a bowl - was 15-29-1 (.341). That's a cake OOC schedule.



BYU's conference opponents were a combined 40-51-2 (.430). That's a cake conference schedule as well.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.