Archived Topic

Cody Hoffman puts up Ho-hum numbers at combine

by snoscythe · 2/24/2014

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Is anyone surprised by these numbers? When everyone was freaking out about Hoff going to the NFL a year early last year, I was one of very few voices of reason.


Re: Hoffman likely staying

Postby BlueIsBetter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:54 am



Hoffman won't get drafted, unless he has an amazing combine (and even then he won't go til the 6th or 7th round)



The nfl has no use for 6'3 skinny guys that run a 4.7 40 and can't block.



I like Hoffman, he just isn't anywhere near nfl caliber at this point. Hopefully one more year will fix that.


Re: Hoffman Staying

Postby BlueIsBetter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm



Hoffman would not have gotten drafted before the 5th round.



He needs to work on his speed if he wants a shot at the NFL. A 4.7ish time won't get you in at the wr position, no matter how tall you are (he's not really THAT tall compared to the NFL). If he wants to be a TE, then he has to work on not getting pushed around by 5'8" cornerbacks on bubble screens, and learning how to block downfield. and he'd need to put on 20-25 lbs of muscle while keeping the same speed. Either way, he has A LOT of work to do.



He had no prayer of making an NFL roster this year. I don't get why everyone was so worried he would leave. I was worried *for him*, that he would be lured away by some loose mouthed prognosticator with no connections, or some dbag agent looking to cash in.



Either way, it's good that he is staying.


Again, I like Hoffman but he just might not be NFL roster talent. Hopefully he'll still make a practice team and get a paycheck, or slide in to that last roster spot. I personally think he should have committed to learning how to block his last year and put on 10-15 pounds and sold himself as a pass catching tight end. That might have been the difference between going in the 4th, and not getting drafted at all.
G
Gunk
I like Hoffman and he has great hands, but I've never been too impressed with him.



I think he benefited more from being the only good receiver on an average WR corp and from heavy favoritism by the QBs because he was the only solid guy out there.
S
snoscythe
I don't know how someone could watch Cody the last four years and not be impressed, especially given the caliber of quarterbacks that were "passing" the ball his general direction.



I don't think he's a #1 or even #2 WR on an NFL roster, but I think he's a solid #3 guy for the NFL.



My point in highlighting his lackluster showing in the metrics of the combine was to show that (1) not every BYU guy suddenly gets faster/stronger/better between graduation and the combine, (2) Cody isn't going to go off the board before the 3rd round as some have opined/hoped, and (3) Cody has always been a "Mr. Intangible" type receiver. He's never been too strong, never been terribly fast, but he runs solid routes and has an innate ability to adjust and go up for a ball and make the difficult catch to come down with it.



His route running ability was somewhat demonstrated in the shuttle runs when he shot from the bottom 3 or 4 guys in all the straight-ahead running drills to post top-10 times in the shuttle events. Enough to help his stock? No. Enough to arrest what otherwise might have been a fall completely out of the draft? Yep.
M
Mars


Well, his official 40-yard dash time did blow Kyle Van Noy's out of the water...





Cody is very human in certain areas, but when it comes to precise route-running and sticky hands (mixed with good height and decent speed), he shines.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Many of his catches are consistently shown on top 10 plays of the week - catch and hurdle over NM defender (TD),one- handed grab at HI (TD), juggling catch while falling down at OSU, diving layout grab vs GT (TD). He is a highlight reel and merits respect. Too much emphasis on combine efforts - ask the Oakland Raiders how all of their super fast, excellent combine result WRs and DBs have turned out - lots of them were busts. Cody will do fine - has a great work ethic and is going to shine like Dennis Pita.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CrimsonCoug
I've seen some say that coming back for his Sr year hurt him:



http://lawlessrepublic.com/2014/02/23/evaluating-cody-hoffmans-results-2014-nfl-combine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I don't think it's so clear cut. On the plus side of coming back, he demonstrated consistent productivity over a longer period resulting in school records. That's a real benefit. Yes, his per season numbers dropped, but scouts are paid to understand the why behind trends. And there's plenty of why behind Hoffman's Sr yr drop that isn't related to his abilities. Finally, I don't know that his combine numbers would have been any different after his Jr year. He's the same athlete, and had an injury and shoulder surgery right after his Jr year. That likely would have affected all of his numbers, but especially his vertical jump.
J
jonnylingo
Cody will do better than a practice squad and I could see him getting drafted. If he isn't he will work his way onto a team and into a 3 or 4 spot. he has amazing hands and would be an asset to a team.
B
BYULV
I'm really surprised by his 27" vertical. His knee injury must still be a factor, because that is extremely low. To give it some perspective, I'm nearly 46 years old, my knees hurt when I play basketball or run and my vertical is 24".
A
a1247
BYULV wrote:
I'm really surprised by his 27" vertical. His knee injury must still be a factor, because that is extremely low. To give it some perspective, I'm nearly 46 years old, my knees hurt when I play basketball or run and my vertical is 24".


You really want to put it in perspective Eathyn Manumaleuna had a 28" vertical jump....Ouch!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.