Archived Topic

Last hurrah

by mizzoucoug · 2/14/2014

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
On the road this team sucks. But that's because imo we play guys who are not mentally tough enough to handle anything but a friendly environment. If this team wants to go on a run and make the tourney they need to put true ballers out there.



Rose needs to play Winder and Bartley 20 minutes per game going forward. They are potential game changers, and when your team mostly sucks and struggles to beat bad WCC teams it's time to go all in and forget playing safe (i.e, Halford and Sharp). We need athletes who can make big plays and turn nothing into something. Probably wont' make a difference, but the status quo is weak and soft.
C
Cougs_Rule
Easy Mizzou. Winder has a history or turning the all over and it showed again last night. And Bartley has a history of almost untmitigated driving hard to the hole and committing a foul or a turnover. Halford had a bad turnover last night at a critical time, but he takes care of the ball most of the time.

But this game was lost in the post, weak mentally and physically, and then when r defense collapsed to middle a good 3-ball team lit us up.

The inner vessel must be cleansed and strnegthened first. And count the refs in there for a few lame-A calls that took our posts out of the game. Total double standards with physical play. Inconsistent reffing in the WCC and home court calls last night that tool our weak posts to a disappearance act.
M
mizzoucoug
Bartley and Winder can at least play some defense. All else considered--horrible bad FT shooting and little depth--this team simply cannot defend anybody. No team should score on nearly even possession in a half against us, but it seems to happen a lot.
B
byufan4ever
We can't win on the road in a weak conference in high school gyms? If our players can't handle that then we have no business being in a power conference or even sniffing the tournament.



I'm grateful for what Rose did while we were in the MWC but he has not been able to adapt to the WCC. A different playstyle yes, but a lower league. No excuses for why we are not at least 2nd every single season in this conference. Time to thank Rose and look for new direction.



With the season essentially over I agree with playing subs and younger players more minutes. Build for the future. Current crop is not getting it done.
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:
We can't win on the road in a weak conference in high school gyms? If our players can't handle that then we have no business being in a power conference or even sniffing the tournament.



I'm grateful for what Rose did while we were in the MWC but he has not been able to adapt to the WCC. A different playstyle yes, but a lower league. No excuses for why we are not at least 2nd every single season in this conference. Time to thank Rose and look for new direction.



With the season essentially over I agree with playing subs and younger players more minutes. Build for the future. Current crop is not getting it done.

Oh, here it comes. The fire rose chant. I've always thought it odd that there was such a double standard when criticizing Rose and Bronco. They both have their flaws, but I'd keep them around as lost as they want to be at BYU.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Easy Mizzou. Winder has a history or turning the all over and it showed again last night.

Based on what?



Winder = highest assist/turnover ratio on the team currently. Also has the lowest assist/minutes played ratio of any player except josh sharp.
M
mizzoucoug
I'd also say that Bartley and Winder get the Jimmer NBA treatment. They make a bad play and they sit. Winder had a breakout game not too long ago and saved us from another embarrassing loss. Give these kids some time to work on their game. My gut tells me their ceiling is higher than Halford's and Sharp's. Just a hunch though.
C
craigoscarson
This season is lost... we don't have a senior to go all out for...our recruiting class is signed for this year and next... I totally agree, prepare for the future...



Take every minute away from Sharp... he has to go ... he cannot play meaningful D1 minutes consistently against good competition and he didn't improve at all this year.



Play Worthington a lot more (need to give him a chance to prove he can't improve). If he can't improve, you have to move on and try to grab a JUCO big.



Give Bartley more minutes and sit Haws and Carlino every time their guys score from the perimeter. Every time, I don't care about Ws for the rest of the season, I care about the dance next year and Coach Rose can let the entire world know that.



We have to get better at the guard position with what we have because next year we're replacing youth inside with more youth. Haws and Carlino have to play tougher and concentrate as much on defense as they do on offense, otherwise next years team is lost too. Our perimeter D makes me gag.
F
frdbtr
craigoscarson wrote:
This season is lost... we don't have a senior to go all out for...our recruiting class is signed for this year and next... I totally agree, prepare for the future...



Take every minute away from Sharp... he has to go ... he cannot play meaningful D1 minutes consistently against good competition and he didn't improve at all this year.



Play Worthington a lot more (need to give him a chance to prove he can't improve). If he can't improve, you have to move on and try to grab a JUCO big.



Give Bartley more minutes and sit Haws and Carlino every time their guys score from the perimeter. Every time, I don't care about Ws for the rest of the season, I care about the dance next year and Coach Rose can let the entire world know that.



We have to get better at the guard position with what we have because next year we're replacing youth inside with more youth. Haws and Carlino have to play tougher and concentrate as much on defense as they do on offense, otherwise next years team is lost too. Our perimeter D makes me gag.


I agree. The reason we are struggling in a weaker conference is because the WCC is a guard driven conference and our guards are allowing other teams guards to dominate offensively. The worst thing about it is it seems our guards don't even care if the guy they are guarding starts dominating, they just figure they will score on the other end. It is a bad mindset.
C
ChiTownCOUG
mizzoucoug wrote:
Bartley and Winder can at least play some defense. All else considered--horrible bad FT shooting and little depth--this team simply cannot defend anybody. No team should score on nearly even possession in a half against us, but it seems to happen a lot.

They are better defenders agree..why can a pacific destroy us with a 3-2 zone but we are unable to do it to them..we look sooooo lost in a zone def it's insane..if the other team shoots 60% are offense is in trouble that stops u from running..You only can run intransition not off made buckets..after 24 hours this loss still pisses me off..Watch us beat st.marys and the zags it will kill even more..
Advertisement
C
ChiTownCOUG
This is crazy maybe it's my lack of sleep due to team USA hockey..Does Lunardi have BYU on the in if they win tweet...Ooooo good Lord above please say its true..
G
Gunk
Halford should be sitting right next to Sharp on the bench. He is not a starter.



Get Winder and Bartley in there to make up for Haws' invisible defense and Carlino's laziness.



Agree Worthington needs more minutes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
I too am done with the Halford/Sharp experiment. If Luke was given the same minutes as Austin I'll bet he'd have very similar numbers and likely score more. Giving more minutes to Luke and Kyle in the post could help keep us out of foul trouble. Start playing Kyle at the 4 instead of point and give extra minutes to Carlino as a starter. Add in Bartley and Winder to improve our defense for what Haws lacks and I think our team improves. Why the hell does Rose take so long to make necessary changes for the better of the team? He has a history of doing this......If I see Halford starting again tonight I will be sick as he was clearly overmatched vs Pacific. I am sick of him having to shoot his 3-pt shot a mile in the air because he can't see over the defender. Can't wait for Fischer to take his minutes next year as he appears to at least be able to elevate and shoot over people. Agreed that this team is broken but it is somewhat fixable in my opinion but Carlino needs to start to make it happen.
B
BoiseBYU
ChiTownCOUG wrote:
This is crazy maybe it's my lack of sleep due to team USA hockey..Does Lunardi have BYU on the in if they win tweet...Ooooo good Lord above please say its true..


He did say it, but it ain't going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this team winning this road game....
M
mizzoucoug
beauso79 wrote:
I too am done with the Halford/Sharp experiment. If Luke was given the same minutes as Austin I'll bet he'd have very similar numbers and likely score more. Giving more minutes to Luke and Kyle in the post could help keep us out of foul trouble. Start playing Kyle at the 4 instead of point and give extra minutes to Carlino as a starter. Add in Bartley and Winder to improve our defense for what Haws lacks and I think our team improves. Why the hell does Rose take so long to make necessary changes for the better of the team? He has a history of doing this......If I see Halford starting again tonight I will be sick as he was clearly overmatched vs Pacific. I am sick of him having to shoot his 3-pt shot a mile in the air because he can't see over the defender. Can't wait for Fischer to take his minutes next year as he appears to at least be able to elevate and shoot over people. Agreed that this team is broken but it is somewhat fixable in my opinion but Carlino needs to start to make if happen.


The problem I have with Halford is that he's not a good distributor. He's much better off the wing as a 2 where he can slash to the hole. I think PG is a bad spot for his skillset. Either way though his ceiling is lower than the previously mentioned guards and should only play when he's hot. I honestly think this team still has a chance if they get the brothers a lot of playing time.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
BoiseBYU wrote:
This is crazy maybe it's my lack of sleep due to team USA hockey..Does Lunardi have BYU on the in if they win tweet...Ooooo good Lord above please say its true..


He did say it, but it ain't going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this team winning this road game....


"Weirdo", whoops I mean Waldo, is going to be out for BLOOD with his mouth guard after last game......
C
ChiTownCOUG
BoiseBYU wrote:
This is crazy maybe it's my lack of sleep due to team USA hockey..Does Lunardi have BYU on the in if they win tweet...Ooooo good Lord above please say its true..


He did say it, but it ain't going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this team winning this road game....

Have some faith guys..I got a good feeling about this game..
C
Cougs_Rule
beauso79 wrote:
I too am done with the Halford/Sharp experiment. If Luke was given the same minutes as Austin I'll bet he'd have very similar numbers and likely score more. Giving more minutes to Luke and Kyle in the post could help keep us out of foul trouble. Start playing Kyle at the 4 instead of point and give extra minutes to Carlino as a starter. Add in Bartley and Winder to improve our defense for what Haws lacks and I think our team improves. Why the hell does Rose take so long to make necessary changes for the better of the team? He has a history of doing this......If I see Halford starting again tonight I will be sick as he was clearly overmatched vs Pacific. I am sick of him having to shoot his 3-pt shot a mile in the air because he can't see over the defender. Can't wait for Fischer to take his minutes next year as he appears to at least be able to elevate and shoot over people. Agreed that this team is broken but it is somewhat fixable in my opinion but Carlino needs to start to make it happen.


Beauso, I have to disagree with you on most points. I don't think your comment shows a very high bball IQ. It shows a short term memory. Rose did take too long to rein in Carlino. Halford fills the gap best of remaining bench players. MC can't handle starting, thats not Halfords Fault. Don't hate on Halford. As for sky balls, are you kidding? He shoots an arc consistent whether open or over a defender. you going to hate on Reggie Miller as well? Luke is not ready for big time. He's played better than start of season, but he literally HAD TO STEP up. Fortunately, he hasn't looked as green lately. But he is still not a legit DIplayer. Strong base/lower body, which helps against conf foes.
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
I too am done with the Halford/Sharp experiment. If Luke was given the same minutes as Austin I'll bet he'd have very similar numbers and likely score more. Giving more minutes to Luke and Kyle in the post could help keep us out of foul trouble. Start playing Kyle at the 4 instead of point and give extra minutes to Carlino as a starter. Add in Bartley and Winder to improve our defense for what Haws lacks and I think our team improves. Why the hell does Rose take so long to make necessary changes for the better of the team? He has a history of doing this......If I see Halford starting again tonight I will be sick as he was clearly overmatched vs Pacific. I am sick of him having to shoot his 3-pt shot a mile in the air because he can't see over the defender. Can't wait for Fischer to take his minutes next year as he appears to at least be able to elevate and shoot over people. Agreed that this team is broken but it is somewhat fixable in my opinion but Carlino needs to start to make if happen.


The problem I have with Halford is that he's not a good distributor. He's much better off the wing as a 2 where he can slash to the hole. I think PG is a bad spot for his skillset. Either way though his ceiling is lower than the previously mentioned guards and should only play when he's hot. I honestly think this team still has a chance if they get the brothers a lot of playing time.




Rose going to err on the side of offense, it defense. Smilarly, Bronco on D vs O. Halford is a better scorer than Winder or Bartley. The "brothers" came in the game the other night and looked like bench players. They haven't progressed and have had their chances. winder has had 3 years, Bartley has a one track mind that takes the ball out of the hands of Tyler and other scorers. And Halford plays the 2. Are you confused?
B
beauso79
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I too am done with the Halford/Sharp experiment. If Luke was given the same minutes as Austin I'll bet he'd have very similar numbers and likely score more. Giving more minutes to Luke and Kyle in the post could help keep us out of foul trouble. Start playing Kyle at the 4 instead of point and give extra minutes to Carlino as a starter. Add in Bartley and Winder to improve our defense for what Haws lacks and I think our team improves. Why the hell does Rose take so long to make necessary changes for the better of the team? He has a history of doing this......If I see Halford starting again tonight I will be sick as he was clearly overmatched vs Pacific. I am sick of him having to shoot his 3-pt shot a mile in the air because he can't see over the defender. Can't wait for Fischer to take his minutes next year as he appears to at least be able to elevate and shoot over people. Agreed that this team is broken but it is somewhat fixable in my opinion but Carlino needs to start to make it happen.


Beauso, I have to disagree with you on most points. I don't think your comment shows a very high bball IQ. It shows a short term memory. Rose did take too long to rein in Carlino. Halford fills the gap best of remaining bench players. MC can't handle starting, thats not Halfords Fault. Don't hate on Halford. As for sky balls, are you kidding? He shoots an arc consistent whether open or over a defender. you going to hate on Reggie Miller as well? Luke is not ready for big time. He's played better than start of season, but he literally HAD TO STEP up. Fortunately, he hasn't looked as green lately. But he is still not a legit DIplayer. Strong base/lower body, which helps against conf foes.


How about when Rose didn't insert Jimmer into the starting line-up for Murdock until the NCAA Tourny for starters......?? I've watched each game and Halford's arc on his shot is anything but consistent so I guess we'll agree to disagree. Luke may not be ready for big time but he's been a better player than Sharp as of late but Sharp really isn't a D1 player either so I guess the point is irrelevant. I believe Rose has reigned in Carlino enough and now is failing to get him inserted back in as a starter. Halford plays just as wreckless as Carlino at times and dribbles into the key with nowhere to go but at least Carlino is able to get a shot off in traffic. Even if Halford does start Rose needs to get Carlino in sooner than he has been. Also, the defense does not improve for our team unless Winder starts to see more minutes....2 years ago Winder saved our butts defensively at home vs Gonzaga and Rose use to insert Winder into games when we needed him for defensive help but has stopped doing that as much lately and no clue as to why.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.