Archived Topic

If you knew

by stuckinbig10country · 2/10/2014

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
that someone on your team, in your locker room, was gay, would you have acted any differently than you did?



I phrase it as if you knew, because I will almost guarantee you that you've been in a locker room with someone who is gay before (or at a boy scout camp, or at a sleep over, etc).
S
snoscythe
Yep.
S
stuckinbig10country
I say no, because I've generally been a very private person when it comes to dressing/locker rooms. I'm pretty sure it's different for everyone.
B
BroncoBot
Absolutely.



And if you were the private type in the locker room, as was I, wouldn't that make you put up your guard even more when that person was around. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't act differently.
M
Mingjai
Probably not for me.



From high school onward, I always assumed someone the locker room was gay, and even then, that didn't change my behavior. But I've never really been one who cares about who sees what...
Advertisement
G
Guest
Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?
J
jvquarterback
Yes. Anyone who says differently is full of it.



There was a homosexual kid at my school and I never had PE with him but from what I heard nobody would change near him in the locker room and I wouldn't expect anything different today.



Hawk makes a good point. The purpose of separate male and female locker rooms is to make kids feel more comfortable (actually studies show kids that go to same gender schools perform much better academically as well but that's a different topic).
T
tww
I am pretty sure this scenario would not have happened in my school. If anyone was openly gay they would not have dared enter a team locker room. At least not a second time. We had a couple of gay teachers but they never got anywhere near a locker room.



JV, I don't think that "comfort" has anything to do with the reason that boys aren't allowed to shower with girls.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I don't know that I'd act any differently, but there were a lot of word/pejoratives/put-downs that weren't uncommon in the 90s that I wouldn't use today.
C
ChiTownCOUG
hawkwing wrote:
Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?

That's some real truth for you right there..What will they do if nfl players be like umm iam gonna change in the cheerleaders locker room from now on...
Advertisement
G
Guest
ChiTownCOUG wrote:
Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?

That's some real truth for you right there..What will they do if nfl players be like umm iam gonna change in the cheerleaders locker room from now on...

Sadly, this is currently legal in California, where any public school child can choose the facilities that they want to use.
S
stuckinbig10country
I guess I'd rather know than not know.



I also think same gender people should use the same facilities.



I think most gay people, especially those that are out, are self aware enough to not make things uncomfortable for others.
C
ChiTownCOUG
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?

That's some real truth for you right there..What will they do if nfl players be like umm iam gonna change in the cheerleaders locker room from now on...

Sadly, this is currently legal in California, where any public school child can choose the facilities that they want to use.

R U KIDDING ME...
S
snoscythe
ChiTownCOUG wrote:
ChiTownCOUG wrote:
Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?

That's some real truth for you right there..What will they do if nfl players be like umm iam gonna change in the cheerleaders locker room from now on...

Sadly, this is currently legal in California, where any public school child can choose the facilities that they want to use.

R U KIDDING ME...

Also in certain school districts in Massachusetts, where a child may declare their own gender, and the school must repect that declaration for all purposes (get ready to see boys playing on the "girls" teams), and the school cannot inform the parents what gender the child has chosen
C
ChiTownCOUG
People just don't understand the Pandora's box they are opening..Sad...
Advertisement
G
Gunk
It would affect me.



Taking a leak in the bathroom is one thing. Changing, showering, and interacting with friends in a locker room is another. The presence of a gay teammate would even affect the conversation as it adds an element of PC to the environment.
I
imuakahuku
hawkwing wrote:
Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?

In California the kids can already do that!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
It isn't like in California the sexes are opting to go change next to the opposite sex so they can sneak a peek. I'm guessing if you declared yourself 'female' at the school you would not be allowed to play the "boys" sports. You can't declare yourself female when it is convenient and then declare yourself male when it suits you.



And for me, no. I wouldn't behave any differently. It isn't like someone who is gay is going to jump up and start humping your leg if he sees you in the shower. I don't care who they are or what they are thinking as long as their behavior TOWARDS ME doesn't change. And if they are behaving in an unacceptable manner at school there would be consequence to that too.
J
JayhawkCoug
No, what difference would it make? It's not like being gay makes them sexual predators. They're normal people, who know that actions have consequences. It's very weird to me that this is a big deal.
S
Schmoe
Fido wrote:
You can't declare yourself female when it is convenient and then declare yourself male when it suits you.


Why not? Who's to say that I'm not feeling like a girl one day and a boy the next? Wouldn't that be discrimination against students who are gender-confused? Does the school really want the lawsuit that's going to follow if they don't allow me to?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.