Archived Topic

Talk on Kindness, Forgiveness and Not being Offended

by scott715 · 2/10/2014

Advertisement
U
urroner
Okay, this might not be up the alley you want to take, but it's not that dark and there aren't too many brutes in it waiting for you, just Schmoe.



Hebrews 13:16

To do good and communicate, forget not. For with such sacrifices God is well pleased.



Okay, that off the top of my head, so the wording might be different.



Communicating with somebody is a sacrifice. Too many people get offended because they don't take the time to understand where the other person is coming from. It's like Stephen R. Covey said, "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."



God gave us two ears and one mouth, so that means we should listen twice as much as we talk, but some of us, have really, really small ears and great big, even bigger than humungous, pie holes.
S
scott715
Maybe I need to talk about CC! Thanks Urroner, I think I will use your comments. Now can we talk about beauty secrets?
C
Cougarfan87
scott715 wrote:
I have a talk next week any ideas? I'm think the ward needs to learn to be more welcoming and supportive of each other and new comers. As usual, I am totally supportive of the topic. But what can you saw for 20 minutes. I have some stories from this book http://www.amazon.com/Power-Everyday-Missionaries-Sharing-Gospel/dp/1609073150/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391998636&sr=1-3&keywords=clayton+christensen


You might focus on the weightier matters of the Law. In a talk I gave recently, I also used the scripture from D&C 82:22-23 where the Lord commands the Saints to make friends with the Missourians and not judge them. Unfortunately, they did not heed that command, and we know the rest of the story. How different things may have been had the early Saints gone out of their way to make friends with their rough neighbors instead of judging them and isolating themselves from them? Of course, Satan did stir up the hearts of many to anger, but had they been good friends, I believe what the Lord said would have come to pass. "They will not destroy you." Now, that isn't the reason to be friendly to everyone, but it is a nice by-product of living the way we should live in offering a friendly hand to all.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.