"Hey are you Mormon Elders?" A Miracle from Ellsworth Maine July 9th, 2013.
So on Tuesday July the 9th, we had interviews with our mission President. And after that we used our mormon.org time to review some of the video's from the fireside Hastening the Work of Salvation. After that I was so fired up, I was like God I'll do anything just lead us to some new people to teach, and help! So Later that night during our Dinner hour I felt like we needed to go to the store, but we did not need anything from the store, but we still went (much to the bewilderment of my companion, who did not believe we should). We ended up spending almost half of our Dinner in the store, finally we finish getting a few items we did not need. Including a cream pie, my companion is like this is why you came here....
And as we walked out to our car it happened. "Hey are you Mormon Elders?" was the call of a 15 year old, we replied, "Yes we are". and he then said "Come over to our car real quick" We walk over, and There is a lady, and 2 kids in the car. I was like what can we do for you. And she said, Hi, my name is Sister G----, I've been less active for over 5 years, when I moved from Brewer to Old town, I went less active. As we talked she admitted she was thinking/praying about coming back. As I talked I asked if both of her kids were less active also, she replied that she had 3 (1 girl, 2 boys), but the youngest was not with her, and none of them had been baptized when she joined as her husband at the time was anti-mormon.
At that point her 11 year old daughter pipes up "MOM I WANT TO GET BAPTIZED!" and the 15 year old son said I want to as well! We set up a time to meet with her whole family, and it came Saturday night, the 11 year old, says mom, give them your cell phone, and dad's, and our address, so they can keep in touch, just then her husband walks out of the store, and we introduce ourselves, and he said see you Saturday.
Fast forward to Saturday night as we taught all three of her kids expressed a desire to be baptized, and we committed them to work towards September 21, and they all agreed.
As we taught we invited them to church, and the Mother said I've got to work tomorrow, otherwise we would go, I have every other weekend off though, we will go to church when I don't work. Her daughter said mom we can just walk to church its right there (pointing to the baptist church only 5 doors away) her mom replied that's not the church they go to, theirs is in Ellsworth (about 25 miles 40 km away) She says Ellsworth looking down...... then looks up, and says MOM can I ride my bike to church tomorrow ? we all started to laugh and her mom said just wait for next week, she replied please mom? We said hopefully we can find someone who can give you a ride the weeks your mom works in the future.
The next week, we took a member who lived a couple miles away to the lesson, and the members knew the kids from school! They gave them rides to church, including coming early for Ward Council, and staying late, these kids came for 5+ hours of church, not including the 40 minute drive (one way) to church every week. They were committed.
After I left the area, I got word they were baptized on September 21st. So all told the Lord led us to be in the right spot, at the right time, to help one of His daughters come back to the fold, and to help others find it.