Archived Topic

45-21 Jake Heaps 3 time champ 40-2 career

by craigoscarson · 12/6/2009

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Congrats to Jake Heaps - He finished his career going 39-2



I for one would like to see him redshirted as next year should be brutal for a true frosh, but I'm very excited that he's headed our way after the New Year.. very exciting
G
gmj81
It would certainly be ideal to have him afforded a redshirt. But I don't necessarily think that next year will be too bad for a true frosh or at least this one. A lot of people will point to USC and say how they took a hit due to playing a true frosh. But they'll be better off next year due to throwing Barkley in the fire and it doesn't seem like he's any worse for the wear from the experience, physically or mentally. I'm not convinced that their W/Ls was totally due to Barkley being under center either but even if that were the case they still won 8 games. If BYU could do that next year with Heaps under center, I'd be ecstatic. But again, I think USC's dip has more to do with the rest of the Pac-10 finally deciding they weren't going to be PC's doormat anymore. The dynasty is definitely over. They may have good years in the future still but they won't ever string it together again like they did for most of the last decade.



He'll be around all winter and summer to get acquainted with campus and college life, which I'm sure he's already pretty familiar with anyway. As far as the team goes, a lot of people think next year is going to be a rebuilding year. And it probably should be considered as such. There will be a lot of new guys that have to step up on defense but there's also plenty of talent to do so. If the D struggles next year, it will have an effect on the offense just as far as how much pressure they are under to score, etc. but otherwise the situation is almost as ideal as it could be for a freshman QB to come in and start if he had to or just proved to be the best man for the job. The OL will be deep and experienced. The receivers will be spectacular. And even without Harvey, the RBs will be more than serviceable, but could be great depending on Harvey's and Quezada's decisions.





Congrats Jake on another great season and a legendary high school career. You certainly deserved everything you've accomplished. I don't think there's a harder working kid in America.
G
gmj81
Heaps completed 15-of-25 passes for 254 yards and no interceptions (four TDs) and finished his career with a 40-2 record, including a 15-0 postseason run.
C
CAFB_04-12
Why burn a year of eligibility if you have a competent QB that has taken college snaps already? I think Riley Nelson needs some coaching on passing, but he can certainly run the offense. I wonder how Heaps would take it if he were told to redshirt a year. Would that impact any mission plans he may or may not have?
B
BerliNY
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Why burn a year of eligibility if you have a competent QB that has taken college snaps already? I think Riley Nelson needs some coaching on passing, but he can certainly run the offense. I wonder how Heaps would take it if he were told to redshirt a year. Would that impact any mission plans he may or may not have?


Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Nelson and Heaps split snaps for the first few games or at least enough to prevent either one getting pounded by blitz-crazy defenses, but I don't think that sitting Heaps for a whole year would be wise just because that's "what's done" if he shows up in the spring and can't hack it fine, but if the kid can play I don't think there's any reason to keep him out of the mix especially given the return on investment the three years following.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Why burn a year of eligibility if you have a competent QB that has taken college snaps already? I think Riley Nelson needs some coaching on passing, but he can certainly run the offense. I wonder how Heaps would take it if he were told to redshirt a year. Would that impact any mission plans he may or may not have?




I guess we'll find out. The open practices this spring are going to be packed.



I'd prefer seeing him redshirted, but if he's head and shoulders better than the next option (which I just don't see) then who knows. I don't think that if the decision comes to start Heaps that any of us will have a problem when it happens, because that would mean he won the job. I just don't see a frosh winning the job when Riley Nelson has started D1 games already. (I also think a running qb would be nice to have, considering our schedule next season)



We have TCU at TCU

Utah at Utah

Washington at home (UW has a ton of underclassmen right now and if Locker comes back, they're going to be good - hopefully he sees what happened to Bradford, and Tebows failure to win a national championship and bolts for the draft)

at Florida State



and every team is going to test our new young dline and linebackers

It's just not an ideal coming out party for young Heaps- there's not a freshman in the world that wouldn't struggle with that schedule
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.