Archived Topic

So What - We Were Entitled To These 5 Wins Anyway

by Cougarbib · 1/20/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Weren't we? The lack of excitement about basketball around here is astounding. Really.



We were entitled to beat Utah, Pepperdine, and LMU on the road, too. Right. And we did not do it. Time to disown this relatively young team. Forget that our OOC SOS was killer - off the charts. Forget that WCC bottom is actually dangerous this season.



BYU is entitled to beat everyone but Gonzaga and St Mary's most years and this year, we were entitled to beat Saint Mary's and split with a down Gonzaga team. And we are always entitled to win a few that we were not supposed to win.



And had we beaten that much improved U team and Waves and LMU on the road, we would be 7-0 in WCC, 3-0 in-state, and probably ranked.



But we did not.



We are on a 5 game win streak including 2 road wins.



Smile. Be Happy.



We are entitled to win a few more and may even pull an upset or two.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
I am happy BYU is on a 5 game win streak. I will be very happy when it is 7. I will be extremely happy when the Broncos win the Super Bowl :)
G
Gunk
Still watching all the games I can, and the beauty of basketball is there is always a chance right down to the last game of the season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Back in Lunardi's and KPI sports field of 64. So, ya.
C
Cougarbib
I was really worried about the game this Thursday after they looked so strong beating the Zags and did not choke even when Zag made a late run. But, they have since cooled and BYU heated up in the last 2 road games. I feel another road win coming up Thursday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
I was really worried about the game this Thursday after they looked so strong beating the Zags and did not choke even when Zag made a late run. But, they have since cooled and BYU heated up in the last 2 road games. I feel another road win coming up Thursday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Portland won't be a gimmie, but I think we'll be able to handle them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Bib,

Not sure where you are reading all your negativity from. I for one continue to be excited about this team. Maybe there isn't the excitement of the Jimmer year(s), but it's still fun. I just got back from my annual SF/SCU trip; it's become a BYULV tradition now. Great games, great weather, great weekend.
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Bib,

Not sure where you are reading all your negativity from. I for one continue to be excited about this team. Maybe there isn't the excitement of the Jimmer year(s), but it's still fun. I just got back from my annual SF/SCU trip; it's become a BYULV tradition now. Great games, great weather, great weekend.


I have not been reading a lot of negativity or positivity. Awfully quiet. A bit of negativity about Haws weak defense and KC can't shoot, etc. As though we are supposed to have 5 first round picks on the floor before a few can focus on the positive



Basically, there just seems to be a way low interest in BYU basketball.



I tried to get people stirred up to talk about games a week in advance and got whacked for starting game threads too soon. Then someone else popped up some really good pre - game threads, and I thought we were rolling. But that stopped.



Maybe someone could fire up a little scouting report on Portland. Maybe someone could organize some data about Byu and opponents and performance vs opponents averages.



you know - like football.



There is a small group of very involved fans. Very small.



Someone postulated recently that the team plays to the level of competition and can't motivate themselves to play in the small gyms. Seems ridiculous to me that an athlete would risk getting humiliated on TV by not being ready to play - but maybe.



it definitely seems that we the fans have a hard time getting excited about watching BYU play those teams.



And yet, I read that only 1 team had more true road games and no teams had more away games than BYU this season. We have a tough schedule.



So a few of us have hung in. The team has hung in there - thankfully.



Just trying to wake up the silent majority - assuming there is one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
That's because BYU is a football school.
B
byucougar1
TIC? BYU Bball during Jimmer years was more popular than Football team and uncertainty with the direction they were going. I expect things will heat up interest wise if they beat the Zags and start making some NCAA tourney noise.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
SpiffCoug wrote:
That's because BYU is a football school.

Maybe.....Maybe not.

2013 School G Attendance Average Basketball

1. Kentucky 18 415,775 23,099 2. Syracuse 19 426,347 22,439

3. Louisville 16 345,129 21,571 4. North Carolina 16 309,603 19,350

5. Indiana 19 330,832 17,412 6. Creighton 17 291,643 17,155

7. Wisconsin 18 303,172 16,843 8. Tennessee 17 282,794 16,635

9. Ohio St. 18 297,428 16,524 10. Kansas 18 295,889 16,438

11. Memphis 18 294,044 16,336 12. North Carolina St. 17 277,087 16,299

13. BYU 18 287,750 15,986 14. UNLV 22 334,320 15,196

15. Marquette 16 240,530 15,033 16. New Mexico 16 240,351 15,022

17. Illinois 17 255,213 15,013 18. Michigan St. 18 258,138 14,341

19. Arizona 16 226,505 14,157 20. Arkansas 19 261,242 13,750

21. Iowa 20 272,496 13,625 22. Iowa St. 17 227,683 13,393

23. Minnesota 17 213,865 12,580 24. Kansas St. 18 225,503 12,528

25. Maryland 21 262,264 12,489

2012 NCAA DIVISION I FBS ATTENDANCE TEAM LEADERS

Rank School G Attendance Average

1. Michigan 6 673,511 112,252 2. Ohio St. 8 842,637 105,330

3. Alabama 7 712,052 101,722 4. Texas 6 605,304 100,884

5. Penn St. 7 677,108 96,730 6. Georgia 7 648,922 92,703

7. LSU 8 741,005 92,626 8. Tennessee 7 629,752 89,965

9. Southern California 6 527,670 87,945 10. Florida 7 613,182 87,597

11. Texas A&M 6 522,083 87,014 12. Nebraska 7 598,617 85,517

13. Oklahoma 6 511,460 85,243 14. Auburn 7 578,521 82,646

15. Clemson 7 569,988 81,427 16. Notre Dame 6 484,770 80,795

17. Wisconsin 7 560,039 80,006 18. South Carolina 7 560,008 80,001

19. Florida St. 7 529,208 75,601 20. Michigan St. 7 527,671 75,382

21. Iowa 7 493,315 70,474 22. UCLA 7 479,370 68,481

23. Arkansas 7 476,321 68,046 24. Missouri 7 472,333 67,476

25. Virginia Tech 6 393,792 65,632 26. BYU 6 366,965 61,161

27. Washington 6 351,699 58,617 28. Oregon 7 402,429 57,490

29. Texas Tech 6 343,251 57,209 30. Ole Miss 7 399,462 57,066
W
Wolverine
What is impressive is that BYU is one of 6 schools who rank at the top in attendance in both football and basketball. The other 5 are Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, and Tennessee. That is pretty heady company and speaks volumes of the support for BYU's two major programs, regardless of the interest (or lack of interest) in basketball on this forum ;)
G
Guest
BYU fans love both basketball and football, but there's no doubt that this is primarily a football school. The football forum gets over 4 times as many hits as the basketball forum, and the basketball season is longer and has more games. The number of google search terms that bring new people to CougarCorner are about 10 times higher for football than for basketball.
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
TIC? BYU Bball during Jimmer years was more popular than Football team and uncertainty with the direction they were going. I expect things will heat up interest wise if they beat the Zags and start making some NCAA tourney noise.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Even in the Jimmer years, I remember BYU starting about 10-0 and it being a ghost town over here. I made a similar - where is everybody - post then. And then football season ended and things picked up over here. Football is King at BYU - at least since 1979 or so. It was the opposite before 1975 or so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
hawkwing wrote:
BYU fans love both basketball and football, but there's no doubt that this is primarily a football school. The football forum gets over 4 times as many hits as the basketball forum, and the basketball season is longer and has more games. The number of google search terms that bring new people to CougarCorner are about 10 times higher for football than for basketball.

That would make sense since 4x as many people attend football games on average when compared to basketball games. If raw number of fans is the criteria, then BYU is a football school. If national success is the criteria, then BYU is a Track/Cross Country school ;)
Advertisement
S
scott715
We had some disappointing near wins that counts as losses. Too painful to talk about. If we were top 25, there would be a lor more discussions. If I found a team preview, I would post it. Just have looked for it like in football. Too many games.
G
Gunk
According to some "experts" I'm a Millennial, which means I feel entitled to everything.



All remaining teams on our schedule should just acknowledge our greatness and forfeit. Save us all the trouble and time, time that could then use to play more video games.
C
Cougarbib
Wolverine wrote:
BYU fans love both basketball and football, but there's no doubt that this is primarily a football school. The football forum gets over 4 times as many hits as the basketball forum, and the basketball season is longer and has more games. The number of google search terms that bring new people to CougarCorner are about 10 times higher for football than for basketball.

That would make sense since 4x as many people attend football games on average when compared to basketball games. If raw number of fans is the criteria, then BYU is a football school. If national success is the criteria, then BYU is a Track/Cross Country school ;)


I thought BYU was a Rugby school or a Volleyball school.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Cougarbib wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
BYU fans love both basketball and football, but there's no doubt that this is primarily a football school. The football forum gets over 4 times as many hits as the basketball forum, and the basketball season is longer and has more games. The number of google search terms that bring new people to CougarCorner are about 10 times higher for football than for basketball.

That would make sense since 4x as many people attend football games on average when compared to basketball games. If raw number of fans is the criteria, then BYU is a football school. If national success is the criteria, then BYU is a Track/Cross Country school ;)


I thought BYU was a Rugby school or a Volleyball school.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Lacrosse school: 4 NC's since '97.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
We had some disappointing near wins that counts as losses. Too painful to talk about. If we were top 25, there would be a lor more discussions. If I found a team preview, I would post it. Just have looked for it like in football. Too many games.

I used to believe in the power of the universe - universally. Now mainly in football.



We play Texas, Hookem shows up. Two of them this year. Gave us the scoop.



We play ND, and BYU ND shows up.



If we ever play Baylor or Ohio State, one of our own will show up.



When we play U, everybody shows up.



UW - I bring a little insight. Same for Hawaii.



Part of the challenge is that there are nearly 3 times as many games to keep up with.



and, Yet, I wish they played 3 games every week.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.