Archived Topic

Texas expectations

by hawkwing · 1/17/2014

Advertisement
G
Guest
From Texas head coach to his players.,



http://i.imgur.com/tOPHzmR.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Winning seems awfully low on the priority chart.
F
frdbtr
Wow, I just might have to become a Texas fan. That coach is awesome. Now lets see if he walks the walk.
S
snoscythe
He's already getting sniper fire from the boosters for this.



Texas needs a culture change in how the boosters and the AD interact, I just hope Strong can be the guy that gets it done.
B
BerliNY
snoscythe wrote:
He's already getting sniper fire from the boosters for this.



Texas needs a culture change in how the boosters and the AD interact, I just hope Strong can be the guy that gets it done.


Agreed on all points except I don't want him to turn it around until after they play us ... we can be their gut-check-turn-the-season-around blowout loss.
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
Winning seems awfully low on the priority chart.


Not sure UT needs to put winning on the priority list......that is a given in TX. When you put together your daily "to do" list you don't list "breathe" as it is given.
M
mizzoucoug
#9. The focus is on winning and graduating. I'm pretty sure they're serious about winning up there in Austin whether or not it's explicitly stated.
S
stuckinbig10country
He's a good coach, and a good guy, but he's going to get eaten alive by their boosters. He's too much like Bronco. Awesome coach. Players love him. Will get killed at a top 5 football school, even if successful. Neither of them glad hand the boosters.
G
Gunk
He wins next season and the boosters will be happy. Like the list and attitude. Hope Strong wins every game but against BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
"No guns" is not going to work terribly well in Texas.....just sayin'



I know culturally at Louisville he was recruiting a lot of inner city kids who think "Glock 19" or "Friday Night Special" when you say "no guns," but some Texas players are already saying "like hell Imma give up my dove gun!"
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
None of these rules will bother the boosters if he wins. I'm sure they are a win at all costs type of school.. Winning the right way is included.



I'm curious how Mack Brown was different. Bronco was emphatic that Coach Mack was high character and did things the right way. hmmmmm
S
stuckinbig10country
stgeorgefan wrote:
None of these rules will bother the boosters if he wins. I'm sure they are a win at all costs type of school.. Winning the right way is included.



I'm curious how Mack Brown was different. Bronco was emphatic that Coach Mack was high character and did things the right way. hmmmmm


Brown is a high character guy. Boosters want access...Brown gave them almost unlimited access, and they turned on him. I don't think Strong will give them the same access.
S
stgeorgefan
stuckinbig10country wrote:
None of these rules will bother the boosters if he wins. I'm sure they are a win at all costs type of school.. Winning the right way is included.



I'm curious how Mack Brown was different. Bronco was emphatic that Coach Mack was high character and did things the right way. hmmmmm


Brown is a high character guy. Boosters want access...Brown gave them almost unlimited access, and they turned on him. I don't think Strong will give them the same access.

ah ha; thanks.
B
BerliNY
Sounds like the Texas boosters are running riot over the athletic dept. Way too many cooks in the kitchen.
H
Hookem
Strong wasn't the donors first choice. For the first time since Royal, the AD and Prez, chose a coach without the donors consent. However, Strong is gaining their respect with actions like what Hawkwing posted above. It's hard not to like what Strong is doing. Very reminiscent of Royal...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
Strong was lucky to have a 1st round pick for a QB. It remains to be seen what he can do with the Texas QB's. They have been very inconsistent over the last couple of years. Strong also didn't recruit Louisville or Kentucky much but relied on his pipeline to Florida. He won't need that at Texas. Lousyville lost most of their recruiting class when he left but they aren't following him to Texas. He's a good no nonsense coach but it may take a couple of years to implement his system and we'll see how much slack the boosters give him.



Go Cougars!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.