Archived Topic

We're getting some early help for next season

by Mars · 12/5/2009

Advertisement
M
Mars


QB Jake Heaps

WR Ross Apo

LB Kyle Van Noy




All 3 are graduating early or already graduated and will be enrolled at BYU for Winter Semester. That means we will have all 3 here for Spring ball.



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=8911085



I bet all 3 of them are starting next season.
T
tripwire
You see Heaps starting over Nelson? Not saying you are wrong, but that would surprise me. I was impressed with Nelson the little bit he played this season.
M
Mars
tripwire wrote:
You see Heaps starting over Nelson? Not saying you are wrong, but that would surprise me. I was impressed with Nelson the little bit he played this season.

Heaps can actually throw a football. They say that comes in handy if you're a starting quarterback.
G
gmj81
I'm with Mars. I'm not saying Riley won't start or that I wouldn't be excited about the team with him leading it. But I didn't see one throw from Riley in the limited reps (nowhere near the 8-12 quarters Bronco said he wanted to get him at the beginning of the season) that lead me to believe he can do anything more than tuck it and run. I'm sure he's still learning the offense but if he isn't any farther along than what he's shown thus far, he's not going to have much of an advantage over Jake when he arrives on campus in three weeks. Jake has already got and has been learning the BYU playbook. That kid is going to come in ready to play. He's been planning this all since he was like in junior high. His high school record shows just how seriously he is taking this opportunity.
G
gmj81
As for Apo and Van Noy, there is no way they don't make the two deep. I'm banking on Van Noy starting. Apo will probably be stuck behind Chambers/Ashworth/Jacobson and the gang but he'll probably get more reps than Thompson got this year which is saying a lot about his talent considering how talented Thompson is and the fact that Chambers/Ashworth/Jacobson and the gang will have all had one more year of experience.
Advertisement
T
tripwire
Have the Cougars ever started a true freshman at QB?
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
As for Apo and Van Noy, there is no way they don't make the two deep. I'm banking on Van Noy starting. Apo will probably be stuck behind Chambers/Ashworth/Jacobson and the gang but he'll probably get more reps than Thompson got this year which is saying a lot about his talent considering how talented Thompson is and the fact that Chambers/Ashworth/Jacobson and the gang will have all had one more year of experience.

Color me surprised- Ashworth and Hafoka really didn't have very good years.
I
Italics
I don't know why, but ever since the day he verbally committed, I've had a very very good feeling about Apo
G
gmj81
Mars wrote:
As for Apo and Van Noy, there is no way they don't make the two deep. I'm banking on Van Noy starting. Apo will probably be stuck behind Chambers/Ashworth/Jacobson and the gang but he'll probably get more reps than Thompson got this year which is saying a lot about his talent considering how talented Thompson is and the fact that Chambers/Ashworth/Jacobson and the gang will have all had one more year of experience.

Color me surprised- Ashworth and Hafoka really didn't have very good years.


I wouldn't say that. I would say they haven't been utilized as effectively as they could have been. But they've made the most of just about every chance they've had. They are still very talented and some of the better receivers BYU has ever landed. Probably top 15 at least.
S
snoscythe
Yeah.. :roll: Kyle Van Noy graduated "early" so he could be with the team this Winter. :whistle: :whistle:
Advertisement
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Yeah.. :roll: Kyle Van Noy graduated "early" so he could be with the team this Winter. :whistle: :whistle:

No, he already graduated.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.