Archived Topic

BYU vs LMU game thread

by mizzoucoug · 1/12/2014

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Lots of zone...24-18 LMU. What a shock.
M
mizzoucoug
BYU is playing much better zone D in the 2nd half and they' taking better shots most times down the court. Up 9.
B
beauso79
I'm sorry but Carlino is the key to this team. We go as far as he takes us......I hope he's back. I wish Nate could find some offense to go with his rebounding



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
beauso79 wrote:
I'm sorry but Carlino is the key to this team. We go as far as he takes us......I hope he's back. I wish Nate could find some offense to go with his rebounding



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sort of.



He was killing BYU and now he is not. He was marginally relevant in last two games, but didn't kill BYU. If he doesn't kill BYU with poor, impulsive play, then sometimes, like tonight, when he adds more than that, BYU is much stronger.
C
Cougs_Rule
But to say he is key to BYU when Tyler scores 30+ for the second straight game and K has his first 20 point night and another very strong game?

Um, a little hyperbole to say MC is KEY.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
I'd agree. MC is the Key to this team. Sure, BYU will beat the SDs and Pepperdines of the world at home with a mediocre game from MC, but BYU becomes a much more dangerous team with him hitting shots and playing well. Haws and KC had some big games in that string of losses. I'd say it's becoming more and more obvious that BYU needs MC to be playing in top form if they expect to compete in the WCC this year.
K
kjjson
Carlino was key in the first half. His 12 points were critical in keeping us in the game. He missed some shots in the second half, but overall felt that he played a great "in control" game. On my way home I was trying to think how many games Carlino has been great in the 1st half, and Haws in the 2nd. Stanford, tonight, Texas?, others?
B
BroncoBot
kjjson wrote:
Carlino was key in the first half. His 12 points were critical in keeping us in the game. He missed some shots in the second half, but overall felt that he played a great "in control" game. On my way home I was trying to think how many games Carlino has been great in the 1st half, and Haws in the 2nd. Stanford, tonight, Texas?, others?

Good point. Carlino is generally money in the first. Haws steps in up (usually) in the 2nd.
F
frdbtr
I think these last 2 wins have been pretty big considering Mika was out. BYU has no inside game without Mika so teams can just extend their defense and contest our perimeter game. We Need Matt Carlino to keep playing like he did tonight. We need Mika to come back strong and for Haws and Collinsworth to keep playing like they have been playing the last couple of games, and last but not least, we need Halford to become consistantly good instead of putting up 28 one night and 2 the next. If all of this comes together, this team could still win the WCC.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
I think these last 2 wins have been pretty big considering Mika was out. BYU has no inside game without Mika so teams can just extend their defense and contest our perimeter game. We Need Matt Carlino to keep playing like he did tonight. We need Mika to come back strong and for Haws and Collinsworth to keep playing like they have been playing the last couple of games, and last but not least, we need Halford to become consistantly good instead of putting up 28 one night and 2 the next. If all of this comes together, this team could still win the WCC.

Also, BYU needs to start locking down on defense like they did the 2nd half of tonight's game. That was the biggest difference in the 2 halves.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
I think these last 2 wins have been pretty big considering Mika was out. BYU has no inside game without Mika so teams can just extend their defense and contest our perimeter game. We Need Matt Carlino to keep playing like he did tonight. We need Mika to come back strong and for Haws and Collinsworth to keep playing like they have been playing the last couple of games, and last but not least, we need Halford to become consistantly good instead of putting up 28 one night and 2 the next. If all of this comes together, this team could still win the WCC.

Also, BYU needs to start locking down on defense like they did the 2nd half of tonight's game. That was the biggest difference in the 2 halves.


Agreed! How could I forget about defense ;)
M
mizzoucoug
Nice revenge win, but I don't believe anything with this team until they can put something together on the road in conference.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
Nice revenge win, but I don't believe anything with this team until they can put something together on the road in conference.

Amen
F
frdbtr
Yep, we need to win on the road in conference. The good news is, if BYU had lost any of these 3 home games, it would have spelled disaster for this season. Now it is time to go get 4 wins on the road.
C
Cougarbib
BYU is not going to go win all of these next 4 road games. Hopefully Mika will be good to go. Hopefully we will win some of them. The conference is greatly improved at the bottom and in the middle this season, though the top is off. Every team is dangerous. Home court swings are huge.



Regarding the game tonight, every player stepped up and did what we needed them to do. Halford did not score much, but we did not need him to score tonight. It was good to see him have the sense to hold back and let the hot hands take the shots.



The only criticism I have was lapse in rebounding in the first half and sloppy turnovers in the first half.



Basketball was the 5th priority for me tonight. DVR to the rescue. BYU took the early shot to the chin and fought back long and hard to get back in it and eventually pull away.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Cougarbib wrote:
BYU is not going to go win all of these next 4 road games. Hopefully Mika will be good to go. Hopefully we will win some of them. The conference is greatly improved at the bottom and in the middle this season, though the top is off. Every team is dangerous. Home court swings are huge.



Regarding the game tonight, every player stepped up and did what we needed them to do. Halford did not score much, but we did not need him to score tonight. It was good to see him have the sense to hold back and let the hot hands take the shots.



The only criticism I have was lapse in rebounding in the first half and sloppy turnovers in the first half.



Basketball was the 5th priority for me tonight. DVR to the rescue. BYU took the early shot to the chin and fought back long and hard to get back in it and eventually pull away





[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Thank you Nostradamus ;) BYU is definitely capable of winning the next 4 on the road. The odds are definitely not in their favor of doing so. Need to approach each game as " must win" at this point in time. Things are on the upswing right now. I can see them winning 4 in a row albeit through somewhat blue tinted goggles 8) Go Cougars!
C
Cougarbib
Anything can happen and I suppose that someone in the WCC may have actually beaten the Zags at home sometime in history - have not looked it up - just seems formidable, even this year.



I could see BYU losing all 4 more easily than seeing them win all 4. Remember, I was the fool that boldly predicted 25+ wins before recognizing how the OOC SOS was so high this year and having anticipated a softer top in the WCC but before realizing the middle and bottom are much improved.



I am just trying to maintain realistic expectations and hoping fans do not feel the need to beat up the players every time we lose a road game. We are going to lose some.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.