Archived Topic

What is absolutely wrong/in denial about this?

by Cougs_Rule · 1/6/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
We #GoFastGoHard day after day here at BYU. Join us as we wear out our opponents each and every game.… http://instagram.com/p/i2IVituiUN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Oh my goodness.

How about we try some like-kind rediculosity.

Hi, we are the number one ranked Mormon school in the country.

Hi, we are #2 in total student-body in Utah County.



Absurd. Innane. Out of touch. Sorry.



And Ever Upward ain't much better.
N
NDCougar
Wow! Shouldn't we care about points not plays?
S
Schmoe
NDCougar wrote:
Wow! Shouldn't we care about points not plays?


No, we should care about W's, not points or plays. ;)
N
NDCougar
Schmoe wrote:
Wow! Shouldn't we care about points not plays?


No, we should care about W's, not points or plays. ;)


You are stating the obvious! ;)



Scoring points is part of winning. I have never known a team to put more points the board and lose.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Obligatory post about caring about PER more than anything.



:)
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
Obligatory post about caring about PER more than anything.



:)


Lol. Credit you, Spiff!
G
Guest
Meh. People whine about Bronco not inventing a new offensive scheme like Lavell did then they whine that the one he implemented didn' result in a "special season" in the first year.



GFGH may end up working great, it may bring the byu offense to the forefront like the west coast offense Lavell helped pioneer,or it may not, but it takes more than a year to get the kinks ironed out.
S
SpiffCoug
You could argue it took a full four or five before the west coast offense Lavell was installing really took hold and began d dominating teams.
C
Cougs_Rule
But really? We're #2 in plays?"

Did the interns from the marketing dept steal the keys to the recruitment office!

Was there a campus contest for stupid slogans?
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But really? We're #2 in plays?"

Did the interns from the marketing dept steal the keys to the recruitment office!

Was there a campus contest for stupid slogans?

Well, if you want to play, I could see an argument to be made that the more plays a team runs the more opportunities you have to get on the field.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Well color me purple, Spiff. Why doesnt the baseball team start announcing they will be using a Tball for batting practice as a means to get more recruits. It's darn near a non-sequitur.

In behavioral psychology, this is called "Stimulus Change" its a diversionary tactic to take attention off the feared stimulus. So, like when the cameraman tells the child to "look at the birdie" instead of the imposing camera. Yes, it's all about smoke and mirrors still.

You'd think that whomever is in charge of this house of mirrors actually thinks that GFGH is all that and a bag of chips. I think it portends bad things. Did any of you see how often Auburn performed shift changes on their offense. BYU does not and will not have that kind of depth on Oline.

And as for the four or five years installation argument--so, what when THill grads and TMangum steps in, what?! Is Anae going to Switch back to pro style offense????

SNAKE OIL. it's only been one game for bball, but look what happens when Rose went away from the GFGH and ran an actual offense and focused on Defense!! Bronco is at risk of compromising his core defensive principles........well, except when he smartly decides to not go for it with 14 minutes left in the game and down two scores. Problem was, his defense was burned out, tired out, injured and depleted and couldn't deliver a SDSU game-like saving heroics. WHY???? Because Being so focused on being #2 in plays run (giving all the johnnies some player reps) had gutted and compromised his defense.

I DON'T TRUST YOU ANAE!! Quit trying to channel your inner-innovative LaVel and go back to basics and execution!!!! Bronco????
S
SpiffCoug
I didn't say it was a good argument. Just saying it might be ONE argument that could be made in recruiting.



"Look son. We run 20 more plays per game in a season. Over the course of a season that's 250 more plays than at the other schools you're looking at. That's a full four more games than those schools. Think how much time you'll spend PLAYING here at BYU!"



I think it's entirely impossible to say that GFGH portends bad things. I'm not saying it WILL take four or five years to install, just saying that after one year is seems premature to just completely abandon it. I don't want us to switch offenses again - for the third time in three years. I think the constant switching is a recipe for offensive disaster. Go look at Utah where they're on their sixth different offensive coordinator in six years.



People thought that Michael Vick was the perfect QB for Chip Kelly's up-tempo, read option offense. Turns out, the guy who can't run is the perfect QB for that. The Eagles SO much better with Foles than Vick.



Playing QB in the GFGH offense is about making quick and smart decisions and delivering the ball accurately and efficiently. If Tanner Mangum can do that then it doesn't matter what offense he runs. He'll be successful.
S
snoscythe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
all that and a bag of chips


http://static.squarespace.com/static/50ce3ff9e4b0c301a823c318/51329dc9e4b03c8ebed5ace6/51d4aab1e4b0a4195e4f1269/1372891837936/kid%20and%20play.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
I didn't say it was a good argument. Just saying it might be ONE argument that could be made in recruiting.



"Look son. We run 20 more plays per game in a season. Over the course of a season that's 250 more plays than at the other schools you're looking at. That's a full four more games than those schools. Think how much time you'll spend PLAYING here at BYU!"



I think it's entirely impossible to say that GFGH portends bad things. I'm not saying it WILL take four or five years to install, just saying that after one year is seems premature to just completely abandon it. I don't want us to switch offenses again - for the third time in three years. I think the constant switching is a recipe for offensive disaster. Go look at Utah where they're on their sixth different offensive coordinator in six years.



People thought that Michael Vick was the perfect QB for Chip Kelly's up-tempo, read option offense. Turns out, the guy who can't run is the perfect QB for that. The Eagles SO much better with Foles than Vick.



Playing QB in the GFGH offense is about making quick and smart decisions and delivering the ball accurately and efficiently. If Tanner Mangum can do that then it doesn't matter what offense he runs. He'll be successful.


Good point on Foles. So, why did the bowl game devolve into Hill playing Running-man? Why can't Anae coach this team to do what Florida State had to do last night when Auburn was killing them on the Oline and the freshman had to quicken his read and throws? Oh, and while I'm at it--Auburn, that is, how do you explain Auburn running out of gas in the second half, even with all those elite athletes? GFGH is just like Nitro, just like a hig ph octane burn that does just that. Burns fast and furious and then runs out of steam--even for elite, NC caliber teams.
S
SpiffCoug
The bowl devolved into Hill playing running man because Hill couldn't throw the ball efficiently. He wasn't able - through the passing game - to get other involved. I can't answer as to why he had 31 carries and the rest of the team only had 14. I can't imagine that was the gameplan. I don't have answer for that.



As to Auburn - because they came up against a better team that was also very good. I don't think it had anything to do with running out of gas. Auburn looked pretty good on their drive to take the lead with 80 seconds left.



GFGH is nothing like Nitro. NItro had zero ability to keep a QB healthy - as evidenced by THREE QBs going down to injury last year.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
When i first saw this I thought it was a funny post and I was going to retweet it. then i saw it came from byu recruiting and my mouth dropped. are they kidding?
C
Cougs_Rule
jonnylingo wrote:
When i first saw this I thought it was a funny post and I was going to retweet it. then i saw it came from byu recruiting and my mouth dropped. are they kidding?


Thank you. I was beginning to think I was making another mountain out of a molehill. Or that maybe I had concluded incorrectly that this was some kind of joke or local, on campus marketing that appeals to book-smart people who are really stupid about sports.
S
SpiffCoug
I do think it is a dumb recruiting attempt, based on a weak argument in not is very convincing.
C
Cougs_Rule
NEVER MIND A STAT THAT REALLY MATTERS!!!!!





CougarStats @CougarStats

#BYU was 124th out of 125 teams in pass efficiency (61.8) on 3rd down and 7+ yards to go.



CollapseReplyRetweetFavorite



Stupid is as stupid does!! But hey, we were 2nd in plays run--which means a lot of meaningless plays that went nowhere!! Get a clue Bronco. Anae is selling you down the river with his machinations of offensive fantasy-land. By their 3rd down fruits he shall know them. As predictable as he was round in his first tenure, his 3rd down efficiency was much much better.
S
SpiffCoug
This was the best rushing team in a VERY long time at BYU. They averaged 5.2 yards per carry that's almost a full yard better than any other Bronco team (2005 was at 4.4). And it was a 33% increase over last year (3.9). And the OL gave up fewer sacks 23 to 34 (almost one per game) versus a year ago. And BYU lost more than 3 fewer sack yards per game as well 12.9 to 16.2.



All with the "worst" OL in BYU history against the "toughest" schedule in BYU history. Both of which statements are false.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.